Video Repeaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Repeaters

I am wanting to set up a video telling the customers the rules. For my setup I want an actor (who will be the scare after the vid) to trigger the video to play. I would prefer to use something other than a DVD player. I know that there are video repeaters out there. But does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone worked with any? Obviously I would want this to be trigger-able, not just loop. Thanks in advance

There are few solutions that come to mind when is comes to triggered video playback.
    1# A Gilderfluke video playback brick (They should still have them)
    2# Use a computer with a hacked keyboard. (I use these for my preshows)
    3# Alcorn Mcbride Digital Video Machine
    4# A hacked DVD player with a push button soldered to play button.

There some more that I didn't mention because I forgot the names but hopefully other will remember
    Last edited by Scareside; 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM.
    Scareside Studios/ Haunted House

Comment

First you have to decide if you want SD or HD video playback...

Then I would look at gilderfluke gear such as:
      BrightSign (which they have equipped with inputs to trigger video)

or the Alcorn Mcbride DVM...

We are dealers of this equipment and can help you setup, program, and install these pieces. Just let us know how we can help! Contact us through our website...
      Best,
      Bill Rod.
      www.darktecheffects.com
      Bill Rod.
      Dark Tech Effects
      Automated DMX Lighting
      Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Light o rama also controls video playback as well sound and lighting and any other effect in your room all from the same controller...

Comment

How does LOR do it? I love using their system but could not figure out the video part? Would it need to run off a computer if using video, not off a director unit?

Thank you!

Peter T
          Fables Studios
          Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
          https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

I don't recommend using LOR for video playback, I know some people who have done it for short Christmas runs, but it has to run from a computer... Using a solid state playback device will give you worry free operation for many years to come... Just my two cents :-)
            Bill
            Bill Rod.
            Dark Tech Effects
            Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

Yes you would need your computer and it is quite simple especially if you already have one of their controllers and you can also trigger it as well via, button, switchmat. Very economical. Have a computer? Have a lor controller already? then why not? lol You would need the latest version of software...If you have any questions you can pm me. Ive been working with LOR for years with huge commercial applications so feel free to hit me up!

Kale

Comment

I *highly* recommend contacting Randy @ Illusionator. He doesn't have the player on his website (IIRC, he only recently started selling them ala-carte), but he sells a standalone player that I've been EXTREMELY happy with.

I have Ghost Bust's setup in our 2 (parallel) first rooms. The room is fully automated and I was having issues with other brand of video players. Since the APC16+ controller runs the room, it just needs to send a pulse to the video player. Unfortunately the other video players I've tried were "lazy", meaning they might play right away or they might play a second or even 3 after the trigger was sent. Since the room is programmed around the video, this really screwed up sync between everything.

Randy sells a player that is on par with price cost as the others I had tried ($300 if memory serves me), has multiple triggers (with a really nice self adhesive membrane switch included), uses standard CF cards, and they play exactly when you tell them to. Randy was a pleasure to work with as well.

That being said, it looks like Gilderfluke has released some new players since I last looked into them. At the time when I bought these, Gilderfluke's cheapest gear was nearly twice the cost of Randy's unit, that has since changed. I would definitely give Bill a call to discuss the Gilderfluke gear, they manufacture extremely high quality kit.
                -Brandon Kelm
                Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

video playback

I use the Solid State players available at Haunted Enterprises. I have had great luck with theses and have used them for several years. It is so easy to program, it is all in how you name the files. 001.mpg for your hold file and 001.mpg for your play file. That's all there is to it.
                  Dan Slatkin
                  SlightlySick Illusions
                  Our YouTube page
                  SBE Sites the home of the $2 web site
                  Our Sponsor

Comment

What players is Randy offering now? I didn't know he was doing anything in video. The website doesn't show anything at the moment.
                    -Brandon Kelm

sigpic

Comment

Brandon,
                      I believe he is selling this player: http://www.medeawiz.com/products/Dv68.htm

I actually used these to play videos on plasmas in a lobby. Not bad at all.
                      Bill
                      Bill Rod.
                      Dark Tech Effects
                      Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

thats correct

yes they are the media wiz players, I have been using them for three years now and love them.

http://www.hauntedenterprises.com/efx.html#videovinyls
                        Dan Slatkin
                        SlightlySick Illusions
                        Our YouTube page
                        Our Sponsor

Comment

I actually have 2 of the MW units, DV-68's with the DV-66K contact closure input.

Word of warning to anyone using them, while they're fine for looping video and for a "single" scare type of deal, those are the units that I had the most issues with for being "lazy", meaning they didn't always start on time. This creates a big issue when you're syncing the rest of a room or scene around a video. It's kind of a buzz kill with the air blast goes off 3 seconds before the video scare plays.

They're well built units and all, but they defintely have their issues.
                          -Brandon Kelm

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up. I have mainly used them to trigger just video. I used an animation mystro to trigger player and prop a couple of times but it was in a circumstance that I would not have noticed a small delay.
                            Dan Slatkin
                            SlightlySick Illusions
                            Our YouTube page
                            Our Sponsor

Comment

If you want TRUE video sync, look to the Alcorn players...
                              Bill Rod.
                              Dark Tech Effects
                              Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

Working...
                              X