Selling Yourself - Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Yourself - Advice please

Hey everyone. I know a variation of this question comes up a lot on this forum and I have read through most of the existing threads.

We are meeting with a local farm to look at partnering with them for a haunted event. They currently don't do anything scary at their farms and will be looking to us to set something up.

Any advise on how to approach them and how to present the event to them? Anyone dealt with a situation like this?

Also any advice on how to structure the deal with them? We are looking for more a partnership vs paying rent.. so I presume a ticket price split or something like that would make sense.

Any other ideas would be very helpful. This will be our second season and looking to go more pro.

Thanks for everyones help as always!

Brian Smith

if you are doing all the work for the attraction dont split the ticket price give them like a 1/4 because you are doing the majority of the work and they would still have the property regardless of if you had a haunt there or not so they should be happy with making any money off of it

Comment

I am in a similar situation. I made a little kit about my haunt everything I have done in the years and walked in the location and spoke with the owner. We have come to an agreement of 5% of what I make. The location would just sit there anyway so to them its free money. He took it and eberything has been great. Set up the insurance yourself and set a month when you can start the build and then when you will be out. Look professional and be confident.

Hope this helps!

Peter T
      FS
      Fables Studios
      Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
      https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Adding to what Peter said you may want to offer them the chance to run the parking lot and charge $1.00 or so to park. That is a pretty common part of the deal. I like to include people on the front end as opposed to the back end that way if anything gets made they get a part. they might not understand that when 5,000 people show up that you didnt make any money. If they get $1.00 for every person who buys a ticket then they will make something reguardless.
        There is a great risk for anyone when they allow thousands of people onto property they own. I dont think that we should down play that when we talk to them. Keep in mind it opens them up for theft, vandalizm, and lawsuits. Your insurance should be set up to cover that, and give them a hold harmless agreement.
        I prefer a partnership as opposed to something as small as 5%. The risks they take are as great or greater than the one we take as attraction operators. Communicate well and be honest with them is the best advice I can give you. You want them to want you to be successful.
        Could you help them produce a daytime hayride that they make the majority of the profit on? It should be a relationship that is stronger that money changing hands is what Im getting at. Haunted houses are an emotionla business, we are selling emotion so they run strong during build and operating days. The stronger you relationship the easier things can be.
        I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. For the record I am not as of right now independantly wealthy, So You may wish to dump my advice and take the adivce of someone who is
        On the same note I dont have any real enemies either, so I am rich in that reguard.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You might also agree to have them provide concessions and keep all the profits from this. This gives them incentive to help you bring in the crowds since they will have a vested interest in purchasing the concessions to be sold. It also gives an added festival atmosphere. You might even suggest they contact other vendors to set up and sell other products or services, such as face painting, psychic readings, etc. and have them charge a fee or a percentage from the other concessioners. In addition to whatever you agree to pay for the location, you are compensating them in marketing and advertising the event and providing the main draw to bring in the crowds. Whatever you decide, make it very clear and be sure to get it in a written contract so that there are no misunderstandings later on. Make sure to include who is handling the insurance. If they are taking a percentage of the profits, make sure to clarify what constitutes profits. Is it what is left after ALL related expenses are covered, including supplies, materials, payroll, insurance, marketing & advertising, etc.? I hope this helps!

Kel

P.S. Allen, you and I share the same riches! ; )
          Last edited by Raycliff Manor; 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM.
          sigpic
          Kelly Allen
          Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
          www.RaycliffManor.com
          www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
          www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Get it in writing.

Do you know where I could find a template (word Doc., etc) to help me drawl up the contract? It would be REALLY helpful for us if someone could help us out with this.

THANKS!!!
            Chris Tillman, President
            Rocky Mountain Terror, LLC
            Trick or Terror Haunted House
            www.TerrorHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
            X