• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on with HHA???

Did everyone hear about this?
    What the hell is going on with the HHA?
    Transparency is needed...

"Haunted Attraction Magazine announces that we will no longer provide magazines as a subscription benefit to the Haunted House Association. If you received Haunted Attraction Magazine as a member benefit in the past you will not receive any more issues. Of course if you are a subscriber to Haunted Attraction Magazine, you will continue to receive magazines per your subscription.

We notified the Haunted House Association of our decision on Monday, March 15th, 2010 via email, a copy of which is provided below for the benefit of its members.

HHA Board,

After thoughtful consideration, I have decided that Haunted Attraction Magazine will no longer associate itself with the Haunted House Association. As such, I am not interested in an arrangement whereby I provide magazines to your members through the HHA and will not be providing any future issues. Of course, should any HHA member wish to subscribe, they may do so via our website http://www.hauntedattraction.com.

I have not come to this decision lightly. When I took over the magazine last year, I reached out to HHA in the hopes of building a mutually beneficial relationship and to support a burgeoning organization in the haunt industry. I made every attempt to treat HHA with respect and to provide an equal playing field for the different associations in the industry. I even provided HHA a two-page spread in my inaugural issue so that you could reach my readers. However, as the year progressed, I began noticing a trend in the HHA that I found disturbing. It appeared to me that HHA was taking action to benefit certain members over its other members.

The imbalance of content on the website favoring one vendor (which is well documented) was the first sign. I expressed my disapproval to Ben Armstrong, the HHA President but nothing was ever done. Then, the link to my website did not work and was never corrected. The imbalance clearly favored one vendor, which just happened to be owned by one of your board members. When I addressed this with the HHA President, I was told that HHA acknowledged the imbalance and simply told me that HHA “owed the board member.” The trend continued with a press release published by HHA extolling the reasons to go trick-or-treating this past season. The press release referred readers to specific haunted houses providing certain haunted houses additional exposure over and above the other members. Shockingly, one of these preferred haunts was not even a member of HHA.

There has been a clear pattern of behavior that I do not endorse nor do I wish to be associated with. HHA has demonstrated its lack professionalism and has shown great disrespect to Haunted Attraction Magazine and to the haunt industry throughout the past year. In my opinion, the lofty goals and promises that were established at its creation have been largely ignored and replaced with petty motivations. As a result of the manner in which HHA has conducted itself this past year, Haunted Attraction Magazine is withdrawing all support and breaking any ties with HHA. I am sorry that it has come this, but your actions over the past year leave me no choice.

Truly,
    John Kennedy"

So what is everyone else thinking about this letter and disassociation with HHA members? I am very interested in hearing what happens at the meeting and the goals HHA has to benefit all haunts, large or small. This is a disappointment but not surprising.

Comment

HHA problems

Here is the problem with HHA. They are no longer an association representing all haunts big and small. It has become another website used to promote certain haunts, just click on the featured haunts tab on the site and you will see what I'm talking about. A true haunted house association would give all their members equal treatment. It should have pages full of haunt listings/banners, all of equal size,in alphabetical order listed by state. There should not be an official rating system done by the organization. The only businesses allowed to advertise on the site would be vendors. They should fight to protect haunts from bad vendors. They should do product reviews, and ask for and allow input from all members. Create a blog page that members can access to announce upcoming events pertaining to their haunts. The point I'm trying to emphasize is, the organization must represent all their members equally. This is what I thought HHA was going to be.

Comment

well....

...can't we all just get along. Politics suck.

The HHA is a new and growing organization..give it time. Of course there is going to be bayous opinions. From my understanding all board members own a haunt. It's hard to wear 2 hats..non bayous board member...haunt owner. I think the idea of the HHA is great and from the eyes of a future haunt owner I think it is going to do great things. It just needs a lilttle work and time to work the kinks out.

Stop the hating on both sides. Just give it time. Offer suggestions and hell if you qualify run for a position. Make changes that way. Pointing fingers and screaming that johny got a bigger piece of cake than me is not going to help the industry at all. You draw a line in the sand and force people to choose a side when really there should be only one side...the side to help the industry. Last I checked we are all adults and professionals in some field...lets act like it.

Just rambling on from a NOOB

Comment

We are working hard to address all issues including the creation of a new website. Check it out:

http://www.hhassociation.com/

All member's haunts will be listed. There will be no rating system. On this website you will find an association forum and we are currently working out the bugs/settings. Not only will the forum serve as a great place to get information on upcoming events, it will be a invaluable resource and tool for all haunters. You got a question, we've got answers. The entire HHA board is made up of some of the top haunted attraction owners in the country. They will be participating in the forum and will be there to help you.

We welcome and encourage all members to voice their CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms, opinions and input. WE ARE LISTENING. We want to know what it is that you want to see YOUR association do next.

We also encourage you to get involved. If you are interested in being a part of the association and helping this industry grow, let us know. If you are interested in lending a hand, being on a committee, or being a future board member, let us know. If you have a great idea for the association and the industry, we are listening.

Dwayne Sanburn
          HHA Treasurer
          13th Gate

Comment

What is going on? LOL

Wait until about 7 days prior to the show and try to do some major damage to the image of HHA. Why not 30 days ago, why not 90 days ago, why a few days before the Halloween show? Good question huh?

Look here are some facts... HHA was formed due to that not really being an association for people who own haunted houses. HHA was formed last year NOT even ONE year ago and inside that first year HHA has done a TON of great things.

1) Bylaws where established which took a long time. The Bylaws only allow for the board members to be haunt owners with five years of experience. This was a lot of work, and the bylaws where created by a team of haunt owners both small and large haunts. All points of view where put into the thinking process. The end results are great. This was enough work all by itself.

2) PR Program: Last year HHA did not have enough money to launch its own PR program so haunt owners paid for one and directed the positive press to the memberships haunt finder which was created and sent members several thousand direct hits to members haunts.

3) Haunt Finder was created in a VERY short window and it worked! It sent thousands of hits to members haunts.

4) EDUCATION: Last year HHA bought full page ads in Fangoria magazine...why? To promote SAFETY to people who would build haunts in their homes, in their garage or somewhere just for fun. Now we are going to TW and producing speed seminars, and education in general. Ben with some help from myself help TW organize the best seminar series TW has ever seen this year.

5) Magazines: If you joined you got free magazines from Hauntworld and Haunted Attraction Magazine. Now you will get FREE Hauntworld Magazine, Fangoria magazine, Fright Times, and Tourist Parks and Attractions.

Addition to this HHA produced education articles for TAP magazine.

6) Vendor Discount program: The HHA program is by far the biggest vendor discount program ever created and this was done in just the first year! It pays for itself just to join.

7) We put a great face forward for this industry, professional owners and operators handled press on behalf of our industry.

The bottom line is this... was everything perfect no. Look over at the IAHA they copied or followed in HHA footsteps the whole way... they changed their bylaws to nearly match ours, they tried to start a pr program, they booted off all board members that didn't own a haunt, they changed their due structure to nearly match that of HHA and they tried to finally after 15 years put up some sort of haunt finder.

To me this is a sign of survival not leadership... but either way HHA made IAHA change nearly everythign they do so if you support IAHA then HHA created that benefit for the haunt industry as well. Why? Because for years and years IAHA would never change, never could develope a haunt finder, change its bylaws, nothing now they are trying to do all of it FINALLY and why? BECAUSE OF HHA SHOWED THE WAY...

Say what you want but these are facts...

Here is the bottom line I've found this industry just refused to get along whether its HHA vs. IAHA, or HauntedHouse.com vs. Hauntworld.com or America Haunts vs. Americas Best Haunts or one haunt in their local market hates another, or someone who creats FAKE NAMES HIDES BEHIND names like 'ORACLE' and bashes people, lies, makes up stories, slanders, and does NOTHING but TRY to cause as much problems as possible.

Look here is the bottom line as much as I would LOVE to see everyone come together, work together, and see how working together we could accomplish a lot, this industry just refuses. We have sides, people pick sides and they stick to them like glue no matter what.

Its sad.

People are jealous, they hate to see something do something good if they are simply against it, or afraid of it or whatever. Haunted Attraction Magazine complains about the HHA website and well a new one was created so instead of working with the new board and the new website they choose to be a part of the problem not the solutions.

I think they have made a mistake! All problem can be worked out if you want them to be... but some people choose NOT to work out because they might see a different way of thinking.

There is nothing you can do!

CHOOSE WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST FOR YOU GET BEHIND IT AND DONT LOOK BACK...

All I know is this... I personally can't do anything right no matter how hard I try to do the right thing someone will find fault in it. People complained about the HHA webstie so what did I do...I gave HHA $3400.00 of my own money to develope a new website without me involved. That still isn't good enough... nothing ever is.

But the bottom bottom line is this... listen to those who fear to those who are afraid of progress to listen to their outright lies, and you and I and this whole industry already lost any hope or chance to find a group we can all find a collective voice with. All hope is lost of ever creating something we can all call an association for people who own and operate haunted house.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Haunter X

To address your concerns - In year one, the HHA was part of a larger PR Campaign that had been going on for several years. Those haunts paid for this program primarily but the prime focus was haunting in general and the HHA in particular and thus all members benifited from it. Frankley being an HHA member was far more cost effective and productive than being one of those haunts who paid thousands of dollars to support this program.

But your point is well taken. Going forward now that HHA is established, it will fund its own campaign with no particular haunts paying any more or getting any more recognition than any others.

Thanks!
              Ben Armstrong
              NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
              www.Fearworld.com
              www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

FYI... Halloween Productions, Inc. will donate the url www.HauntedAttractionAssociation.com URL to the HHA.

I think this is the best URL for the assocaition and I put my trust in Randy Bates the new president to make good use of it!

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

I know, from what is going on, we will NOT be renewing our membership to the HHA and will not be joining any other association. Both are riddled with politics, back-door dealings... etc. etc.

We will not consider joining either association until we feel that all the problems have been fixed and that there is 100% and total transparency... term limits and laws... and a MUCH better/needed ethics code/bylaws for all board members.

Hopefully... things will change for the better so that ALL haunts can progress from an association. Hopefully... I agree with Larry, it's sad.

-Tyler
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Tyler

I hope you think about this before you jump ship so quick. You will come off as a much better person if you hang tight with us and help us all see through this and not bail and leave your brothers and sisters in this Industry to sink! We had a vision and we STILL DO we are so young just like yourself and we ALL still have a lot to learn just as yourself. Again when the waters rise help us out and rise above this with us not leave us alone! Shane and its just think about it! Shane this time
                    sigpic

Comment

Tyler,

Actually I agree with YOU to some degree. You are right and wrong actually... yes the industry is riddled with politics but its not created by HHA its created by other outside sources.

By not joining you are giving into to those who want this to fail... SUPPORT HHA the group that started for haunt owners only by haunt owners and has done really more in 10 months than any other association for this industry in the past 10 years.

Look you can't make any type of eggs without first breaking the egg. I think some people are just in SHOCK that we got this far, that we finally did it, they never thought it would have bylaws, haunt finders, pr programs, vendor discount programs, education, magazines galore for its members and more.

I think at first they thought hmmm... this won't last. Now they see that not only did it last its picking up steam. Lets now stop them in their tracks just a few days before the show and actually if you ask me try to ruin HHA and the show experience as well.

I've told the people in IAHA and those who support it IE John Kenndy and other its NOT what HHA does or doesn't do or what HHA fails at that will make IAHA succeed, its what IAHA does or doesn't do for its members that will make it a success. Dropping this low to try and undermine the group because well your group is falling behind, is just wrong.

Haunted Attraction Magazine should have tried to work out their problems with the new board and with the new website but they didn't they instead choose to hurt HHA as much as possible just days before the show. That is wrong! That doesn't help does it?

So in short what I'm saying to you is this... JOIN HHA and show your support for pulling through all this mess. HHA can be the future and you can help HHA its asking for your help.

Where do you ever see IAHA posting anywhere telling you what they are doing, asking for your help?

I CAN TELL YOU NO WHERE...

HHA is here answering the bell the time for lazy do nothing attitude to be a thing of the past and embrace a group that shows you they care.

This industry one day might work together but by you not joining you don't help the dream or the cause.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

all i can say is where do i sign up and IT IS AMAZING how much these folks in the HHA have truly bent over backwards for our cause and if Larry and Shane and Ben and Kel can hang in there in troubling times so can we all as haunters we should be open more to soulutions and remedies , and apposed to quitting and throwing in the towel i for one am a newby going in my 6 th year as a haunter and am always open to new ideas and suggestions and its Hell yeah i got my DARKNESS tickets love you all see you AT THE SHOW

Comment

Tyler you should reconsider.

Both associations have good people working hard for you. If you own an attraction you should join both. In the grand scheme of things it costs nothing.

I don't know about IAHA bylaws they have changed since I was in, but HHA has strict term limits.

More important than joining is showing support by helping these groups help the industry.

Thanks!
                          Ben Armstrong
                          NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                          www.Fearworld.com
                          www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

An outsiders view...

I'm not going to deny that the people on the HHA board aren't busting their asses... they are doing more as a group than most others EVER could! Now... I'm about to be very blunt, so here are my concerns with the HHA:

1. Transparency. I think the board needs to be 100% transparent in it's decisions and ALL board meetings should be, in some way, open to ALL association members. Yes, this would be an EXTREMELY tough thing to do since members are spread all over the country. But how can we enforce ethics if no one really "knows" what's being done? Maybe every board approval/project should be first presented via email to every member... discuss any ideas on how to make it better... and then all voting and revisions up until final product be public. Maybe this could be done via monthly chat?

2. Ethics. This is something I feel the HHA severely lacks amongst some of it's board members. The entire association SEEMS to be nothing more than an advertising backdrop for HW.com, AmericaHaunts.com... I know from viewing the site several times... that HAM was hardly utilized, mentioned and about 99% any web linkage did not work. So what gives? Someone is to blame here... the HHA? Rogues Hollow? Either way... I think John and HAM was very generous in providing a mag subscription to the HHA members, and yet was treated... "unfairly"...

Also, where are the links to HH.com? AmericasBestHaunts.com? I know Steve Kopelman has shown great support towards the HHA... and I also think he's been treated unfairly and under utilized!! Yeah I get it... these are direct competition with Larry's HW brand... but it's a public association where these "business relations" should NOT come into play... it's called ETHICS!!

Where are all the links to the regional haunt sites like HauntedIllonois and City-Blood? I know the HHA has it's own haunt finder... but they should really consider utilizing the regional sites as they can provide haunts that may not have been "discovered" by the HHA... and vice-versa. I feel the HHA should support ALL haunts... member or not.

3. Board Members. This could get dicey so I'll keep it simple... I think the HHA has the greatest collection of haunt owners working together for a common goal... something that this industry has NEVER seen! But why do members like Scott Simmons (former HHA V.P) get "driven out". I understand it was his decision, and he's talked a little about this on the other forum... but good people like Scott just don't... "up and leave". Something happened!

Now, I love you both... and you've both busted asses to get the HHA where it is and all I can do is say THANK YOU! But I'm personally glad to see both Larry Kirchner and Ben Armstrong leave the HHA board; I do feel it's for the better. Now, I wasn't there to witness anything... and I don't know peoples sides or stories... but honestly I do feel that Larry was able to persuade the board into decisions... claim ownership of things... etc. It's an association... each board member takes "ownership" into it and each member MUST have their opinion heard! I don't like that fact that a few board members can "sway" the bunch... As Larry put it, it's sad.

I know I'm going to get BLASTED for saying alot of this... but it's just how I see things as an outsider/HHA member... and I KNOW I'm not the only one thinking this and feeling like this. I'm glad to see some amazing new board members take the helm and hopefully the HHA can do things that no haunter has ever imagined!!

I'm thankful that Shane has opted to "monitor" the HHA... hopefully somethings will get straightened out. Shane, I do feel the HHA is in YOUR hands!! Hopefully... we can see change and we'll "reconsider" to renew... we'll see at the show!

-Tyler

PS: This will also be posted on the HAM forum so that members there that may not be a HW.com member can view this and discuss.
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
                              1. Transparency. I think the board needs to be 100% transparent in it's decisions and ALL board meetings should be, in some way, open to ALL association members. ...

Great ideas, Tyler.

Quick question for HHA... are the board's minutes recorded during every meeting? Why not just publish those for all members? This would definitely be a step in the right direction toward complete transparency.

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                              www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                              Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X