The problem with HHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with HHA

Here is the problem with HHA. They are no longer an association representing all haunts big and small. It has become another website used to promote certain haunts, just click on the featured haunts tab on the site and you will see what I'm talking about. A true haunted house association would give all their members equal treatment. It should have pages full of haunt listings/banners, all of equal size, created by the menber, in alphabetical order, listed by state. There should not be any official rating system done by the organization. The only businesses allowed to advertise on the site would be vendors. They should fight to protect haunts from bad vendors. They should do product reviews, and ask for and allow input from all members. They could create a blog page that members can access to announce upcoming events pertaining to their haunts. The point I'm trying to emphasize is, the organization must represent all their members equally. This is what I thought HHA was going to be. It's not to late to fix it.

I agree with you 100%. Though I do not yet run a commercial haunt, I can definitely see where you are coming from. The organization should not play favorites.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

We are working hard to address all issues including the creation of a new website. Check it out:

http://www.hhassociation.com/

All member's haunts will be listed. There will be no rating system. On this website you will find an association forum and we are currently working out the bugs/settings. Not only will the forum serve as a great place to get information on upcoming events, it will be a invaluable resource and tool for all haunters. You got a question, we've got answers. The entire HHA board is made up of some of the top haunted attraction owners in the country. They will be participating in the forum and will be there to help you.

We welcome and encourage all members to voice their CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms, opinions and input. WE ARE LISTENING. We want to know what it is that you want to see YOUR association do next.

We also encourage you to get involved. If you are interested in being a part of the association and helping this industry grow, let us know. If you are interested in lending a hand, being on a committee, or being a future board member, let us know. If you have a great idea for the association and the industry, we are listening.

Dwayne Sanburn
      HHA Treasurer
      13th Gate

Comment

You bring up great points... I think with ANYTHING you have to work out the bugs. It takes people who are haunt owners big or small to get involved and put their two cents into the pot.

When the HHA board was put together I 100% wanted Eric from Haunted Overload because he was a home haunter who went pro...he had a different perspective on everything that helped form the initial bylaws of HHA.

The new HHA website is open to this industry forming it, guiding it and well making sure the future is the right direction.

You should join and push your idea's and make it what you want. I myself will be stepping off the board after the tradeshow, Ben Armstrong stepped off the board as of yesterday. The industry, haunt owners, new idea's new everything its time for you to step up and show a new direction.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I think the board needs to have someone with less experience (and money) from a smaller area that can also give opinions from that perspective. I know you are to have 5 years experience. Most of you are all from larger metro areas. I think that is something else to look at. Smaller haunts that bring in less people and revenue still are successful but can also represent a very large group of us here on this board. I think that would make a lot of us feel more welcome.

Comment

Haunter X

To address your concerns - In year one, the HHA was part of a larger PR Campaign that had been going on for several years. Those haunts paid for this program primarily but the prime focus was haunting in general and the HHA in particular and thus all members benifited from it. Frankley being an HHA member was far more cost effective and productive than being one of those haunts who paid thousands of dollars to support this program.

But your point is well taken. Going forward now that HHA is established, it will fund its own campaign with no particular haunts paying any more or getting any more recognition than any others.

Thanks!
            Last edited by Speculo; 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM.
            Ben Armstrong
            NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
            www.Fearworld.com
            www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I think we have all lost sight of the fact that some of the major players in this industry started HHA and funded it. Now we need to give it a chance, become more involved and grow from here.

Thank goodness there is enough large haunts that want to promote this business and had the funds to get it off the ground.

Comment

Spookhaven

Well said! Well said. These are the guys that went out on a limb and spent their own time and money and I DID NOT HEAR ONE COMPLAINT WHEN THEY DID THIS. I have served on many ,many boards and its always been a pain to work out all the kinks, it takes time and were just in this over a year were still young here! I will tell you guys this I will do ALL AND I DO MEAN ALL I CAN TO keep you all informed of all that is to come from the HHA. I did not want to be on the board but I believe in the HHA and what they are trying to do so just like the front runners who started this I will now step up and do my part! Who's with me on this and who supports me on this? Shane and its.... its going to take us all! Shane this time

Bottom line here folks lets stay focused and not forget the ones that had the vision to start this. We can do it but its going to take us all!
                Last edited by graystone; 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spookhaven View Post
                  ...Smaller haunts that bring in less people and revenue still are successful but can also represent a very large group of us here on this board. I think that would make a lot of us feel more welcome.
                  Very well said!
                  O'Shawn McClendon
                  Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

HHA Forum

Haunters,

I'm seeing people signing up to the forum on the new http://www.hhassociation.com site, you have to be a member of HHA to join.

In regards to the site not being fair to all haunts, that was due to the big checks we wrote to get the PR ball rolling. I was one of them, I did not complain when I did not get news coverage. I funded the effort for the good of the industry for several years. Now we have got momentum to let the membership fund the PR. The new site is reflecting this new culture, if you want to make a change get involved as we all did that are the ones making it work.

I'm not on the board, but I stepped up to be the home office and manage the membership forum and yahoo groups. I love this business and if you care enough about it you should want to be part of the association that represents it from the top down. It took big haunts with money to make things happen that is why we started HHA.
                    Tony Wohlgemuth,
                    Comes up with the fun stuff!
                    Kersey Valley, Inc.
                    www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Your point is well taken. I feel that we must stay the course.
                      I joined HHA because I have faith it is the organization to move us forward. Any organization has bugs to be worked out.
                      I know, as everyone should, with team work and hard work the HHA will shine bright as will the future of the haunted house business.

M.St.John
                      www.hauntedx.com
                      hauntedxfilms

Comment

Working...
                      X