Detail Seminar - Transworld Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail Seminar - Transworld Show

As always I never work on these seminar things for Transworld until the last minute... this year is no different. But I'm pretty good and putting them together quickly.

Eric from Haunted Overload sent me some screen shots of his seminar presenation and OMG he worked on that thing... he has the #1 selling seminar at this years show. I was told my detail seminar was the #2 selling seminar which puts a lot of pressure on me.

And after seeing what Eric did now I really feel the pressure...way to go Eric.

Anyway... I'm going to start working on it Sunday night. I have baseball all weekend long our team won all our games and finished with the #1 seed later today (Sunday) we play at 10am and 2pm for the championship.

Then I'm sure our team will go out to dinner or something... after I get back from that I will work on the seminar.

Looking for ideas prior to then... what do you want to know more about YOU TELL ME!

As always I want to share everything I know or can within a one hour period... so tell me!!!!

My seminar is DETAIL HOW TO DETAIL YOUR HAUNT... along those lines what do you WANT TO KNOW!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Working with foam

Larry,
    One of the things I enjoyed about your haunt last year was the facade that you carved out of foam. I know this subject gets beat to death, but I would love to hear you talk about the "do's and dont's" of using foam in detailed sets. Specifically, in what types of scenes you like to use architectural foam , and what about applying fire retardant?

We plan to use a lot of foam as well, so I would be really interested in your opinion on its use.

Thanks,
    Dewayne
    Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
    www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

I would like to hear about destressed look, hardcoating, lighting and vines.
      Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Another thing that you could cover is how to improve your signage. Signs on and near your building. Size, details to include etc. Advertising signage for vehicles etc.
        missjayne
        Netherworld Haunted Attractions
        http://www.fearworld.com/

Comment

I am using my truck for signage. I am having it "wrapped" with my design and my .com address. I can track the number of hits on my web page and plan on watching it very closely. I will post my before and after number of "hits" on the days I drive the truck around town. Should be pretty interesting. But yes, signage is extremely important. Great topic.
          http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Anything that isnt on the detail video. Im wanting to come but I dont want to buy and watch the dvd and see the seminar basically covering what was on the dvd. I want painting and distressing tips. The coffins and different things you carved out of foam would be cool to cover. Using illusions like endless tunnel effects like you did this year. Ect. Maybe go into some 3-D detailing. What you start with to how you finish. Proper placing of scenery, props and then scares. Basically how you fit all the pieces of the puzzle together at the Darkness. Like ideas from the drawing board to the very final touches to finishing the project. Your gonna have to talk fast Larry. LOL!
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

I've signed up for your presentation... looking forward to it, given your reputation for producing environments which rival any Hollywood set.

I'd be interested in hearing about your design process... how do you go from general concept to scenic details? How does the detail evolve once the general concepts are finalized?

Maybe you could select just one specific area of the new Darkness renovation and use the photos you've been taking, along with scans of sketches or construction drawings, etc. to show the progression from conceptualization to installation and explain what happened with each step. Empty spatial envelope to finished, detailed scene. (all of the layers from the creation and finishing of foam elements, to the collection and placement of decorative elements/props/animations, to the planning and installation of lighting)

Jim
              Last edited by Dalloween; 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM.
              Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
              Haunt 2013, LLC
              and
              The House of Boo
              Dallas, TX
              www.haunt2013.com
              www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Sorry to get off topic,I didn't know where to ask, but are you allowed to switch seminars at the show?
                Last edited by KING'S KRYPT; 03-21-2010, 06:32 PM.
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

i love this industry

Comment

I liked how you used the mini-LED spotlighting. How do you determine where to place them and approximately how many do you use per room? Oh, and what determines your color choices? Thanks

Comment

Any visuals from slides or projectors. To actual detailed wall panels would be great! Or vacuform detailed.
                      Damon
                      Damon Carson

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts... keep them coming. I would be more than happy to answer questions during the seminar itself on many of the topics you've brought up.

Its nearly 3am and i'm still up working on this seminar. This is my FIRST POWER POINT presentation so work with me here...

I have to say this will be the best seminar I've ever done but for GOD SAKES I've never worked this hard to do it...

This is a lot of work! I think if you miss my seminar you might regret it later because I'm putting a lot of work into this thing.

The things people do... wow 7 straight hours and counting.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Oh just so you know...

so far covering drawings, research, foam carving, vac form, textures, where to find things, how to find things, blah, blah.

I think you will like it...

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

3:57 AM finally finished!

And for whatever reason Im feeling very sick ... need to go to bed.

I hope I feel better long day today.

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Can't wait to see your presentation. Get to feeling better Larry.

Jim-Jim
                              Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
                              Haunt 2013, LLC
                              and
                              The House of Boo
                              Dallas, TX
                              www.haunt2013.com
                              www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X