No announcement yet.

IAHA and HHA have officially merged!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only comments I will make on this, is that whatever the name is as long as it has the same goal and to help the WHOLE industry, not just the owners operators. Because without the vendors and actors, there would be no industry, and vice versa. I don't only say that because I represent a vendor marketing to this industry, especially because I know that products are optional, even more so ours, but because as an organization it needs to be able to bring everyone together to improve, and show us all to the world as a whole...in a way how things like this message board allow us to do. It is comprised of owners, operators, vendors, actors, those just starting out, those who have been doing it for 30+ years, and so on.

The goal of any industry organization should be for the betterment of the ENTIRE industry.

I've been around in this industry since before the inception of both associations, visited IAHA at their first booth at Transworld and have heard good and bad from both...as an actor I was never able to see benefit from either organization thus I never joined, but knew several who did. I definitely dont think that multiple organizations was any help either, though it at least got parts of the whole together. We need to come together as a whole and these organizations joining together is a greater step in that direction. I dont think anyone should think of it as one or the other disbanding or "caving in", but coming together...otherwise it feeds off part of the problem that having two organizations created.

Thats just my two cents on it.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Brett,

No not biased at all... IAHA was a DISASTER from DAY ONE. It was dominated by HOME haunters, nothing wrong with that but they have one way of thinking and people who do this to pay their bills have another.

Yes I was the President and SAVED this association they were broke, had no membership, no leadership, nothing. I started that PR program, re-designed their logos, put people in charge of our message that actually owned haunts and cared about ONLY the industry, I stopped them countless times from throwing money down the drain on more book bags, or sponsoring some party, or whatever else. I also got TW to support the group and give them free meeting rooms, booth spaces something prior they spent YOUR money on to the tune of like 8000 or more.

However I learned as many did over the years that IAHA was half run by people who were NOT in the business and HALF who did... it did NOT work! Because half the people wanted parties, cupcakes and pretzels while the other half wanted things that made our business stronger. You can spin however you want but these are the facts.

Fast foward here a bit... HHA set bylaws that pointed the association in the direction for haunt owners. the board was only members who owned attractions, the goals where set for those in the industry not fans. HHA had everything going for it all the action... and later almost a year later IAHA realized it was change or go down the tubes the Johnny come lately changed their bylaws, and so much more. They ONLY CHANGED when they had no choice...

Its sad they only realized that at the end of the rope... because while I was on the board, before I was on their board people with haunts pleaded to change those bylaws and well half the board woulld lose their seat so they kept that from happening.

Look let me be clear... HHA formation and success forced this to happen we all know that. I'm happy there will be one association... that is a good thing. And I hope people will make it happen without drama and scandel because the minute that happens its over anyway.

Bottom line is on one thing.. I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU that we need one voice one source for information... that sounds like living in China. I think you need as many sources as many views, and as many idea's from all ends to be a success.

See you may not agree with everything I say but let me tell you I've been doign this a long time and have shown success at every level. I've learned from a lot of different people with all sorts of different views, standpoints, and more.

I don't vote straight Republican although now I might just to get rid of Obama, but I look at the points of view and choose based on all the facts and what I think is best for me, my business, and well in this case my industry. More times than not when doing things like this website, or our magazine its what I think is best for the industry first.

When it comes to my haunts its what I think is best for my business but I want those sources of infomation to have good points of view. I've been to haunts and I saw OMG that was horrible, while on the other WOW that was awesome, or wow not a huge fan but I like this or I like that, or I like how they did this but not that, need to make a mental note don't do this but do that...

I hear what people say on these boards and I read everything the do and the don't... I don't want any one group or website telling me what I need to think or do or being the one source for anything.

If you follow that idea you are DOOMED!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

HHA came out swinging and did more in 2 years than IAHA did in a decade and they forced IAHA to change everything from it's bylaws to membership rates and more.

Looking at the first HHA board you could see where the real cream of the crop were working together. Great leaders...

DA

Comment

The most successful industries as a whole will work together...I dont think anyone is asking for one voice, but one collaborative, one like minded forum of peers and friends. Many pro haunters have started as home haunters, or other walks of life. Im sure that everyone was a "fan" at one time or another...but I dont see fans flying to St. Louis for Transworld, or shelling out $250 to be part of an organization...that weeds out that demographic on its own.

And I also believe the social events are just as important as the seminars and other things...otherwise you are barreling through with blinders just trying to find a way to out edge the guy next to you...thats not friendly competition...we are a fun industry, its good to promote that. And it is not just the haunt owners that make the attractions what they are...they may be a big driving force...but it is the team behind them and behind the products they use that make them what they are.

In working together it will create a stronger industry, stronger competition, and a better overall name for this industry...educate the ones that arent the cream of the crop so they dont make a bad name for the rest of the industry. Everyone involved makes or breaks the industry...its not luck in most cases. We as a whole shape where this industry will go.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
          -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

I would like to thank both boards for showing such leadership and courage. Both boards have unanimously voted to dissolve both orgainizations and form a new one. Hopefully this will be finalized by their membership when the time comes. Until then both groups will continue to provide benifits, including PR campaigns, publications, etc. until the end of the year, as promised.

Next year you will see something new with the best of both groups, something we can all get behind. The winners here will be everyone in this industry. Exciting times!

Once again my thanks to the board members, officers and members of both orgainzations who have really shown some amazing forward thinking.

I commend you!

Thanks!
            Ben Armstrong
            NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
            www.Fearworld.com
            www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Great news Ben!
              I joined HHA last year but did not renew this year because of all the unsettled turbulence going on with the resignations and so on.
              If it actually does merge into one Association count me back in for next year.
              Thank you BOTH Associations for working together to help OUR industry be stronger and more productive for all.
              Greg
              Fearfest
              Greg Allen
              scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
              www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Greg,

Good point... one thing that is for SURE is that people from one side tried to undermine the other side with lies, sex and videotape! LOL

No seriously once HHA got rolling good, bam all the attacks, all the accusations, all the lies, all the drama, and why... because one side couldn't keep up. So now with there only being one association hopefully all of that will end once and for all.

Hopefully no one will make up silly lies, accuastions, and whatever else geared towards attacking one group or another. Lets all hope that stuff ends for good.

I also think neither current president of either association should continue... a new one should be choosen to show no side won, no favortism, nothing so no one could come back later and say X, Y, or Z.

Lets pick a NEW president maybe someone who was a member of BOTH assocaitions or NEITHER!

I think that is important.

Either way unless the association acutally does something, and the industry supports it nothing matters ... actions speaks louder than words!

Lets hope something good happens.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

Thanks Ben

Thanks Ben for clearing up a misconception in the world. ("Both boards have unanimously voted to dissolve both orgainizations")

I have been around long enough to remember much of the history, and am a member of both organizations. I joined both because I felt there was good offered by both. WIth one, the efforts will be able to be directed outward instead of using up valuable resources competing with each other. I can almost see it now, Larry and Timmer working side by side in the HAA booth at 2012 Transworld recruiting members into the ONE voice of the industry!!!!! LOL
                  Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                  Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

LOL... you think so huh? Actually no that won't happen because I work my own booth. Last two years I didn't attend any functions, didn't go anywhere just went to the show our haunts and home. I also don't know if I will join or not so that is totally up the air to be honest with you.

I will wait and see like everyone else. Currently I'm not a member of HHA or IAHA because I don't want to get in the middle of anything I'm just enjoying doing what I'm doing which is hanging out with my kids, baseball, or whatever.

I've got my hands full with three haunts, I'm working on marketing now, websites, and more.

I plan in the off season to totally dive into Lemp and renovate Darkness a bit more before the Halloween show in march. I should be pretty busy!

I fully expect you to dive in head first! I'm just hoping when you do there is some water in that pool! LOL

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Or A Water Substitute

Drool? Might be too thick.
                      All of this sure sounds smart.
                      Maybe egos have matured and will jive along better together, this sounds good too.
                      How many "right" ways are there to do something? Usually more than just one. It's all in the shading.
                      How many wrong ways are there..an infinite number, good to avoid such this math.
                      Good Luck to all of those directly involved, I mean it.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I personally would love to see this merger happen for the hopes of a better future for all. I have been running a smaller haunted house started back in 1999 went bigger in 2001 with a few year breaks and would like to take it to a pro level. I am only 28 and our haunt has come a long way with the $12,000 salary a yr I was using at the time. Now things are looking allot better with the carrier I have now but this industry isn't cheap to enter in as a pro.

I hope the two associations help not just the big haunts like Darkness, Headless horseman and others that always line the top 10 spots on here and the travel channel but look to the starters maybe contest for some capital/ financing or a haunt make-over (team up with home-makeover to promote haunts while making a small haunt a chance at a pro level) Also we need to support our vendors, actors, trainers, owners (small and large) and even our guest/patrons.

Seminars are a big must to train us to become better and safer at what we do
                        parties are a must to socialize and bring the haunts and patrons together to create unity
                        Trade shows and discount programs are a must for owners and vendors
                        but we need to look deeper too

Fundraiser
                        Provide Information (cover home haunts to pro haunts to actors and vendors)
                        examples
                        - safety
                        - how to's
                        - business plan template
                        - training manuals/videos
                        Create opportunities
                        - Vendor discounts
                        - Haunt make over
                        - social gatherings
                        - trade shows
                        - bank initiative ( create awareness to banks about the potential profits and pmt sensitivity in-order to lessen the hold on funding this type of business)
                        -create a community awareness video that a haunt has areas to insert their own haunt info in order to help with public hearings / permits

and soooo much more..... Please feel free to chime in have to think of what else id like to see.

Comment

Working...
                        X