No announcement yet.

Screamworks Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, never gave a seminar. He was like doin it man!

Ben Franklin and all the founding fathers were all so busy building the foundations of our great country and spreading syphillus. Nope, never gave a seminar.

Is this a Red Buttons routine?
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Ken,

Two things..

One Auction: These auctions are doing unreal, when you're doing an auction one item at a time. Whenever you do these one price for everything auctions the get very little money. If you had an auction you could count on something between $180k to $250k for sure.

Every auction like this has done great: An auction in Buffalo raped in $200 plus, Ohio Auction last year nearly $300k, Spookyworld over $250k, the list goes on and on. You just can't do these one for everything...kiss of death.

Two Insultant: I agree with again, but only to a certain degree. You see you've been doing this for a long time, even if you moved to Alaska you still know what you're doing. Do you know the local culture, traditions, trends and things like that...NO. Its like going in you have a complete model, you have every piece but you're missing the glue. If you have the glue but not the model what good does the glue good for? Sniffing! LOL

The most important thing is the model itself, you know how to do it, what to do, and all the pieces you'll need to make a successful haunt. True, you'll have to learn some of the ins and outs of this new market but whenever an insultant is helping someone, the person they're helping should already know the local area. Its the consultant/insultant that should be helping the new business person make the right choices.

Whenever I help someone, I tell them right up front, I can only tell you what I would do, but you need to do what you think is best. My job is to load them up with information, help them learn quicker, or get over some hump. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, and I agree!

Still a good consultant who knows the ins and outs can help more than you can imagine. Even a haunt like yourself isn't beyond hiring someone to help you, if you're open minded to learning a new way, new idea's and pushed in some new directions it could pay for itself the first day you open.

I would hire a consultant in a second, if I thought that person could help me advance my business.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Did anyone see this?

http://www.prleap.com/pr/48870/

BEWARE: “Godfather of the Haunted Attraction Industry” Is Ready to Make Atlantans Scream

Atlanta, Georgia – FALL 2006 – Atlanta haunted house lovers welcome one of the creators of New York City’s famed Madison Scare Garden with the creation of the all-new ScreamWorks Atlanta, four bone-chilling, blood-curdling haunted houses under one gigantic roof. From September 28th – October 31st ScreamWorks Atlanta will feature four huge haunted houses professionally-designed by renown designer Leonard Pickel, a giant vertigo-inducing spinning tunnel, Halloween props and souvenirs, concessions and much more!

The four individual haunted houses include: (1) DEAD END MANOR, a skin-crawlingly creepy Victorian mansion; (2) THE PIT, a completely terrifying, pitch-dark experience; (3) THE SLAMMER: a confounding chain link maze; and (4) SHIPWRECK: a ghastly pirate-themed haunt. A cast of nearly 100 actors will ensure that no one leaves without a fright.

Expert haunted house designer Leonard Pickel, known as the “Godfather of the Haunted Attraction Industry,” brings his mastery of the haunted attractions industry to the Atlanta area for the very first time. Featuring the best effects of his 30-year career (and lots of brand new scares, too) ScreamWorks Atlanta is a truly one-of-a-kind Halloween event that is guaranteed to excite, thrill, and, of course, scare the pants off all patrons.

TICKETS: Tickets are $13 for one individual haunt and $25 for a Combo Pass to all four haunts (a major savings of $27!). VIP Tickets are also available for $35 which will allow guests to jump to the front of all lines. Visit www.ScreamWorksAtlanta.com for special money-saving offers and to buy tickets in advance to avoid box office lines.

SCHEDULE: ScreamWorks Atlanta runs from Sept 28 Oct 31. Nightly schedules vary, visit www.ScreamWorksAtlanta.com for details.

LOCATION: ScreamWorks Atlanta is located in Chamblee Plaza at 5528 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, one mile south of the I-285 Perimeter, directly across from Curry Honda. Parking is FREE.

AGES: ScreamWorks Atlanta is NOT recommended for anyone under age 13. Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.

ScreamWorks Atlanta is produced by 2scareU, LLC, whose founders – Jeff Matisoff, Josh Pultz and Richard Robertson – are live entertainment professionals based in New York City.
        Bill Rod.
        Dark Tech Effects
        Automated DMX Lighting
        Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

So, I don't understand. This was their 1st year and they threw in the towel after 1 year? What happened? I mean, most people kind of understand that you will lose money the 1st year and if you are lucky START to make money in 3....
          www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

SCREAMWORKS SLEEPS WITH THE FISHS!!!

I guess that this answers any questions regarding "The Godfathers" involvement with this show. I don't understand how haunters can stand by and make excuse after excuse for this guy. I think some of you might just be embarrassed to have been suckered in by his hype. That's my only explanation. When will haunters stand up and say no more?
            At some point there has to be a place where people who don't know any better can go and get more than one side of the story. Maybe an IAHA sponsored site...all I know is that no client of mine ever lost money, ever quit his job, ever went broke. Being entrusted with someones financial future is a humbling and awsome responsibility. It cannot be taken lightly and personally I feel a moral responsibility to make sure a clients event comes off as well as if it were my own.....because it is. You are what your record says you are. I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if a client of mine lost 1/4 $million.
            Just my opinion Rich

Comment

It is tough being a successful advisor when the clients don't follow all of your advice.
              Do the people that you have advised always follow all of your advice, Rich.?
              Dealing with people in general is very frustrating unless they are all wearing the same uniform and are already marching in lock-step.
              (Yes, I know some things but am not bothering going into details)
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

As I wrote a responce before I had no intention of making any excuse for anyone or making liablist statements as well for a subject I was not involved in or know little about. It just doesn't stand to reason to me. The most that has ever been involved in a deal with Leonard has been a $10,000 per attraction flat payment and it has been this way for 30 years. Yes even at that rate many people ended up losing but this leads me to believe that this same model doesn't work for $250,000 and so the Scream works partnership must have called the shots.

I'm not in league with anyone as what happens out in the haunted world somehow has absolutley no effect on my little event either good or bad. In fact it may be a good thing none of my clients think any of these forums is worth a crap to them.

If you are going to bash anyone go all the way and make the statements where there are no holes in it. Designed by in an intresting tag line that the haunt owners may have thought sounded pretty good. Apparently they didn't know the history of Madison Scare Garden as well. Why didn't they know. We all did because year two alot of you went in and tried to make something of it.

Was Leonard there managing the event? Was he there training the actors? was he in charge of the marketing? Or did he just get a great price on attractions no one has actually wanted to pay top dollar for for more than 10 years.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I will say this. Down in the trenches where people with limited resources for Some reason Leonard is like Kevin Bacon, he is at every grass roots gathering all over the country. He is giving his advice as he sees it while obviously you guys have been focusing on your personal attractions and in a different league spending $60,000 to $100,000 per year and more for the next best thing.

I understand the two things do not lend from one to another. This is like there is an old man right now on Utube proclaiming there is this thing called the internet. It was not filmed in 1995. So now many of you are the IAHA and in a position to communicate to the whole industry and all that has happend is an internal forum has been developed and a great PR campaign Which frankly makes 98 % of the other haunts not participating in the spooky technological arms race look like low lifes.

No one told me how to become a Netherworld. They did tell me how to have a triangular grid plywood habitrail and at some point I had to leave some of the advice in the dust and create my own way of doing things that took that concept and made it work ala lots of actors and lots of props, no refrigerators and no vacuum cleaners. No goofy painting on the walls and so on.

I'm sure to Leonard it is all about the one on one asking for a $25 magazine subscription, he will continue to be in every trench. Now he promotes Hauntcon in a similar fashion and I would imagine this sale of these many attractions to the Scream work Group represented his whole inventory being dumped.

All I can offer is who cares about Pickle eating when you have the resources to do better. To communicate to the industry what to strive for and become successful. As an observer, all I'm seeing is the young and more successful are pretty much bashing most of the people that were the founders of the IAHA. (ei Bob's event sucks and is stupidly concieved and anything Leonard touches) Well, now you have a stake in it (IAHA), do it.

When the haunt industry is informed after the fact that all haunts these days are about high end props and finds out about it from Utube and a CBS report and not from the industry they check in with every day it is kind of a shock. Recently I quoted some of philosophy from these news spots for conversation on here and made people sick and pissed off and go away for a few days and think I'm some kind of prick.

And it isn't all about the IAHA or wether it can or does work. Leonard does a much better job of being everywhere in person no matter how lacking his information is. His magazine does send out resubscription forms, it is available on Amazon.com or seasonally in Barnes and Nobles. In comparison Hauntworld does not send out resubscription notices. Again I bought a batch of videos that supposedly included a subscription and never got the last magazine and probably won't get this new one. Sure I could call Larry and get one magazine but there is never a follow up, who cares. So I'm resigned to either buy back issues or none at all. Not only for me but, why would I offer excellent content to anything that is not readily accessible to me and probably to man others?

In comparison Leonard is doing a much better job of being there. If you cannot develop the posture to do better it is only a name calling match with no end in sight.

I mean I have a number and if I really wanted to know I could call Leonard and I'm sure he would tell me what happened or what I wanted to hear and maybe he feels bad about it too.

The whole myth that you could build an attraction run it a year and then sell it for a great price (so it isn't a loss) has been propogated by everyone at the top of this feild that made turn key attractions. Everyone that sold attractions used this angle. Rather there is a bigger picture and it is that the economy has changed and no one is walking around with a whole lot of money at their disposal these days Using an auction system to save the day is a bad choice.

Leonards attraction was available for sale yet operated somewhere every year, not doing so well. It was origionally for sale for $75,000 and that right buyer never came along. Then it was $60,000, then $50,000 and at some point the right buyer came along. Someone that wanted it now that was as well told by others, that you had to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a good attractions. No one has told how to spend that money wisely or with any particular caution.

I have been "observing" all of this as objectively as possible for 8 years now. I think everyone is so involved in focusing on what is happening wrong that there is no real vision for the furure that will make any difference. You can't develop million dollar haunts and be the be all to the community. It's maybe a time management impossibility.

While you guys think these forums have the attention of everyone, Leonard is packing up his little card table in to his mini van and consignment CD's and driving across the country to someone elses mini gathering with a hand full of magazines. How are you going to compete with that?

You can't as well inform the US public about the state of haunted attractions and have someone not with the program informing the haunt community. Some how you are going to have to get everyone on the same page and not assume they are all brilliant enough to read between the lines. The lowly haunters are more likely to just forget all this noise and rub latex on something to better occupy their time. That's what's really happening.

I have on the same token had my office people warning me that Leonard is a full of himself evil piece of crap that does not pay and is a weasel. I see a guy doing what he can with what ever limitations and doing the best he can. I can relate to him as I'm in the same boat. It doesn't mean I love him and have been swooned to love everything he has to say. In fact alot of what everyone does is in rebuttle to his methods, a responce to what has been convieniently ommitted. But these are his opinions. You would think after 30 years they might have some merit and general value. I have on numerous occasions shook his hand in person even after having dissapointing business dealings. He got ripped off too from his customer and I only got paid because I was going to come get anything of value like a repo man.

I could bitch about how this or that situation or that sucked. Rich, I introduced myself to you in Transworld at the bar in 2003. I was no one and you were very personable. Larry knew my name from the forums and when I approached him freaking looked away. Every video purchase or magazine subscription has been pay now get it 90 days from now and wondering if it will ever come and sometimes having to follow up for service. My same office people tell me not to send any more money to these people then I secretly send more money to be dissapointed again.

We are in a time of potential digital stuff where the old guy methods of yellow legal pads and public speaking with time honored ear hair are becoming a thing of the past. Every kind of business all over the world are finding out the old dudes ways were blowing smoke up people's behinds and getting away with it. That doesn't fly anymore. The only thing that does still fly is hard work and adaptation.

It used to be people would over look how much ear hair someone had and try to relate to what they had to say. I think everyone needs to work on their personalities a bit, including myself. Can you build upon and replace the past or will it continue to be every man for himself. When it continues to be every man for himself people get ripped off. Things when you pull away the magic curtain are kind of sad at all levels.
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

ANYONE who is not offended by calling yourself 'The Godfather' of an entire industry should be. I think the PRESS RELEASE confirms that this guy was the main gun. The press release states he's bringing his latest scares to the table, and his 30 years of expeience.

It brags about Madison Scare Garden, which was ANOTHER DISASTER! Lynton Harris told the WHOLE industry at a luncheon that he was SOLD PILES OF WOOD!

If you ask me Screamworks was just that...PILES OF WOOD!

It was terrible! The Pirate one was the best, and they claimed they did that one mostly themselves.

The press release posted here should be a wake up call...you've got a guy who wants others to believe he's our GODFATHER! He wants to be the spokeman for our industry, and he sells himself as the best we have to offer, the leader, the creator the Godfather.

What he is in my opinion is a disgrace!

I would like to know who refers to this guy as the Godfather other than himself? Who?

Does anyone really think he's a leader? Does anyone really think he knows how to design and operate a successful haunted house? Would anyone armed with the correct trackrecord of this guy hire him? Would anyone? I know some don't understand, but listen to me, this guy loves to be negative, he can't and shouldn't be a spokeman for our industry, nor should be be allowed to run around and say he's the godfather of anything.

I hope EVERYONE who sees this guy at TW walks right up to him and says "I'm offended that you'd refer to yourself as the Godfather or our industry, its arrogant, and disrespectful to everyone in this industry'.

This guys loves calling for boycots when he's not a speaker, or whatever, we should call for a boycott of his magazine until he comes correct with this whole disrespecting an entire industry.

No one loves themself or thinks more about themselves as one man... Leonard Pickel. If there is evidence to prove otherwise I'd love to see it.

Lastly, if there was ever any doubt in your mind as to who was the consultant on this Screamworks project, I guess this press release puts a doubt to that one.

Do not kid yourself, Leonard was the man behind that project...the press release states as much. What else can be said...

When you're the Godfather, and your haunts selll for less than what the wood cost, thats saying something STRONG!

Wouldn't ya say?

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Just by chance, might the guys recently burnt by poor auctions be some of the same ones buying and paying way too much for stuff at an auction..3? years ago?
                    It only takes one or two people with the money to show up or to not show up to make or break any auction.
                    How far does an auction go towards really establishing value?
                    Our local government says "No", a couple bought an old , fixer-up house at auction, yet the county tax people would not hear of the assessed value of that property being lowered. At least ten people were bidding, I personally tend to think such a scenario does establish value , versus some slick relator suckering someone with a song and dance, usually someone from 100 miles away from here and elderly.
                    "Yes, in the Chicago burbs this would be a $350,ooo house but you can get it for a "steal" here in this small town for only $110,ooo!!
                    (But last year it sold for $60,ooo and two years before that for $45,ooo?)
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Well, it does say BEWARE,
                      sigpic

Comment

Does anyone else find it ironic that the above attractions are called: Dead End Manor, The PIT, Shipwreck.... WOW! Just thought I'd point that out. Heeheee. :twisted: -Tyler
                        Chris Riehl
                        Sales@spookyfinder.com
                        (586)209-6935
                        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Would "Miss Sally Sunshine's Sandbox"
                          sound better?
                          (Such a name could be a effective misnomer, setting the customers up for an unexpected thrill, if you could convince them to buy the ticket first, that is......)
                          I used to have "The Nasil Passage" here, people were told to carefully pick their way through it!
                          "Do the Booga-loo!"
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore
                            Does anyone else find it ironic that the above attractions are called: Dead End Manor, The PIT, Shipwreck.... WOW! Just thought I'd point that out. Heeheee. :twisted: -Tyler
                            Wicked Sweet :twisted:
                            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

SCREAMWORKS NOT DONE BY THE CREATOR OF MADISON SCARE GARDEN

We rarely choose to post on these boards, however we do remain active readers of interest.
                              Larry had bought the Screamworks situation to my attention back in October, and as such, I immediately contacted them to cease using 'from the Creator of Madison SCARE Garden', and to ascertain who was promoting themselves as such.
                              With regard to Leonard Pickel, or any of our 'vendors' back then, it was made very clear, legally, of the correct titleage to use...I think it was something like 'Official Vendor'.
                              I also emailed Norton's Auctions and received no response, and as such, if we prove that we have lost any business to to this defamortory association to this project, and the sale of such, we will seek legal action for damages.
                              We are already aware of potential client (from IAAPA) that thought they would go to that auction and obtain 'our work' cheap.
                              We had absolutely nothing wahtsoever to do with SCREAMWORKS and as the Creator of Madison SCARE Garden, I am personally and proffessionally offended at this notion.
                              Since Madison SCARE Garden we have gone on to create world class haunted attractions worldwide, and our list of credits past and present are second to none.
                              I want to thank Larry and Rich Hanf for pointing out that this in fact was not our project...they both know how I felt after the first year of Madison SCARE Garden.

The only other thing is to advise Larry that Madison SCARE Garden was not a flop per se. Madison SCARE Garden was my first show in America, and my first 'haunt', and as such, I remain extremely proud of that audacious challenge today, regardless of how much money we lost. It was a fantastic creative success, with four years of growth in ticket sales & revenue, attendance, and sponsorship . It fuelled our reputation and success worldwide. It suffered from the Union environment in NYC period. Nothing else. Madison SCARE Garden was a great idea that worked, and the audience loved it. Now some ten years on, we have learnt how to deal with the union issues, and do not be surprised if you see that stadium/arena haunted show resurface on a world tour. Hell, we might even stop back in NYC!

For the past 8 years we have essentially built all our new attractions in-house, and have an incredible slate of exciting projects in 2007.

Please check out our website.

Lynton V Harris
                              Chairman & CEO
                              The Sudden Impact! Entertainment Company
                              New York*Hollywood*Sydney*London
                              www.suddenimpactentertainment.com
                              PRISON BREAK LIVE! WORLDWIDE
                              nightmares Dreamworld www.dreamworld.com.au
                              NIGHTMARES - Philadelphia www.nightmaresX.com
                              Universal Studios Monsters ALIVE! - Las Vegas
                              Madison SCARE Garden - New York
                              The FRIGHT House - Washington DC
                              The Mummy LIVE! - New York
                              The Mummy Returns LIVE! - Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia
                              The Scorpion King LIVE! - Hong Kong
                              The Van Helsing Experience LIVE! - New York, Philadelphia
                              Lara Croft:Tomb Raider LIVE! - Australia
                              Warwick Ghosts ALIVE! - Warwick Castle, UK
                              Serial Killers LIVE! - London
                              SCREAM! - Amsterdam
                              The Chamber of Horrors LIVE! - London, New York, Amsterdam, Las Vegas
                              Madame Tussauds Shanghai (May 2007)
                              Lynton V Harris

presents

THE SCARIEST PLACES ON EARTH!

Comment

As replied on the main forums.

Unions are awful! They promise their people the world only to lay them off!!!! Pay your dues and big brother will watch over you and take care of you! BS!!!

As i have stated in other posts,i am non-union i have been for 22 years! I could go work for the union stair company but choose not too. My brother in law did go to the union shop because they offered him the union wage that so many non union company's won't offer their people.

So he makes 5 bucks more an hour than i do, but what they didn't tell him is he supply's his own vehicle, he has to keep up the maintenence on it, he has to use all his tools and replace them out of his pocket when they break, he has to pay them his dues and they better be on time!
                                He gets no paid vacations or paid holiday pay!

I had two days off this year because of slow down, they paid me to sit at home out of the kindness of their hearts. My brother has been off since two weeks before christmas without pay(Merry Christmas kids heres your sock monkey's mommy made you!).

All his extra expenses, Cell phone, screws, nails, glue, saw blades he has to buy from his wallet.

My company gives me a new van every year with satellite radio(sorry i had to plug XM radio,i love it!) Gas card, paid insurance, all the tools are the company's, mine sit happily in my garage where they should be ,

I get two weeks paid vacation( a full month starting next year), 7 personal days, and paid holidays.

Is union work that much better that they really have the right to post billboards that say insist on union carpenters and lead the consumer to believe that they truly are the best and others should be frowned upon.

Well the house i just finished putting a stair into last friday ran 1.5 million and was built by union framers. Talk about crooked walls! Badly out of square and plumb! The cabinet guys had to load three cabinets back up and take them back to his shop to rebuild them OUT of Square to fit the house correctly!
                                The pit i had to build my stair in was 3 and a half inches out of square but i cant just load my stair up and re build it i have to attach it to the house wether it's right or not! So when you look down this 60,000 dollar stair it heads to the left 3 and a half inches. Careful when stumbling upstairs after a night of drinking!

So if you do build that Dream House and your looking for optical illusions to freak your house guests at insist on union carpenters!

Comment

Working...
                                X