Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natl Haunters vs Hauntcon

National Haunters or Hauntcon Pt 1

With the feel good love fest that was Transworld in the books for this year…and with both Natl. Haunters and hauntcon just 3 weeks away it is decision time for many haunters out there.

Of course I have a vested interest in seeing Natl. Haunters succeed seeing as they have asked me to bring in a Medieval Weapons of War exhibit. It is really cool as between Weapons Mistress Cheryl and myself, we have a ton of great weaponry. She will hold it up for you to see, explain how it was used, and then actually pass it around for you to hold and feel for yourself. Sharp, dangerous pointed weapons…what could possibly go wrong? LOL

That said, I went to both sites to do a comparison of the two shows and it seems like Natl. Haunters will have a kick ass convention. Now I’m not saying that seeing the big attractions in Orlando isn’t cool but they will always be there. For sheer entertainment value, networking value, and educational value…Natl haunters walks away with the gold belt…by KNOCKOUT.

I will try to keep opinion out of it. I’ll just try to do a side by side comparison.
    Damn…this is a lot of work

As of Wednesday April 07 at 11am

Natl. Haunters has over 100 Vendors on the show floor
    Hauntcon has 31 as per their website.
    Hauntcon is still trying to sign on vendors. I know this as I received an e-mail from them trying to sign my Haunted Productions Inc.
    With 3 weeks to go Natl Haunters has 3x the vendors

Educational Seminars

Let’s begin where it counts…Safety. Natl Haunters is clearly leading the way by offering not just regular safety classes…but classes on codes, standards, life safety, fires, disasters…all given by the Office of the Pa Fire Marshal…AND THEY ARE ALL FREE.
    That’s it…nothing else to say…pack your bags. See you at NHC. You can take all the make up, foam carving, scare seminars you want…the FREE Fire Marshal seminars are the ones that count. Agreed? In addition…there will be a seminar on MAKE-UP Safety…Toxic Makeup etc…THAT AGAIN IS FREE. Ahhhh…why are you still reading this? Why aren’t you buying your tickets?

Now for the other seminars

From Wood to Castle Rock…Natl Haunters Only. I’ll say it in just two words
    Ricky Dick. Need I say more?

Scares without gore…Natl. Haunters Only.

Dark Arts Advertising w/ Dick Terhune…Both NHC & HC he is appearing at both!!!

Bloody & Gory Make Up…now that’s the ticket. Everyone loves BLOOD. Both NHC & HC are offering make up seminars featuring BLOOD…BUT…only NHC is featuring the Legendary Long Island NY make up Artist Steve the Bloody. Come on…with a name like that you gonna tell me you don’t want to see him? He was there last year and although he didn’t win the make up wars, he certainly got BLOOD EVERYWHERE…bring out the mops. The HC bloody seminar seems to be more geared towards movie make up. Steve the BLOODY has years of actual…practical…Haunted House experience. He rules…all others drool!!!

Fog Seminar…HC Only. Hint…press the “fog” button on the controller  Next…

Detailing…Faux Finish etc. Both NHC and HC However…only NHC has detailing Gurus Mike “Tattoo” Krausert…Nick “Shady B” Wesseley…and to help talk about lighting your detailed creation is Bert Zelton of Mini Spotlight. You might have heard of Terror on the Fox…Bad Boys Scenic Design…Nightmare New England / Spookyworld. Well…these are the guys. These guys are Real Haunters and industry Icons not movie set guys. Add to that, the long time Creative Director of the New York Renaissance Faire talking about atmospheric design and sets and once again NHC wins out over HC. Read all about it…foam carving, detailing, distressing, different finishes and what to use to achieve virtually look you want. It’s all there.

Learning the “Thriller Dance” NHC only. Talk about a fun time. Now you can learn how to build tombstones, mausoleums, learn how to detail, finish, and distress them…and then use them in your “Thriller Graveyard” as your crew provides on line entertainment second to none.

Using 3-D Projection. Good for online entertainment for certain but can be used in the haunt as well. Saw it in the Darkness actually. HC only.

Airbrush…Both NHC and HC are offering airbrush seminars …with one big difference. The NHC seminar is airbrush makeup…the HC seminar is airbrush to detail inside your haunt. I know that when the heat is on and I have dozens of actors to get into costume, into make up, and into their scare spots that an airbrush artist that is good and fast is worth his/her weight in gold. This is what you will learn at the NHC seminar. The choice is yours but in my opinion it’s another round for NHC.

Real quick…NHC has Building an online presence…HC does not
    NHC has X-Treme Marketing / Networking…HC does not
    NHC has Tent Haunts…HC does not
    NHC has mold making..HC does not
    NHC has Guerilla Marketing…HC does not
    NHC has bringing in customers…HC does not
    NHC has Cheap Scares by Haunt Legend John “Prof. Nightmare” Denley
    HC does not
    NHC has LED Lighting…HC does not

HC has Stilt Walkers (just seen at Transworld)…NHC does not
    HC has Haunts in the Woods…a good one…NHC does not
    HC has using video…NHC does not

Both NHC and HC seem to have a good amount of actor training, retaining, character development etc. but only NHC deals with actor auditioning as well. Your choice

Both NHC and HC seem to have Pneumatics covered but NHC has Pneumatic Safety as well.

ONLY NHC HAS ME!!! Rich Hanf LOL I know…big surprise there Ha ha

That’s it for this comparison post. There will be many more to follow. I don’t care which convention you go to…as long as it is NHC…LOL Later H

You didn't seem to touch on tours at all. Due to running our own haunts, many of us are only able to see tours in the off season. Larry always puts together an amazing tour schedule and it's always fun to see what extra's he's thrown in along the way.

There is no doubt that they are both great industry events, but I think it foolhardy that they were both scheduled on the same weekend. It seems odd that PAGoH (then EHC then NHC) was always after HC until 2008 when it then seemed to always appear on the same weekend as HC. Sorry, I just see it as Shoot.Self.Foot.
    -Brandon Kelm
    Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Tours etc

Yes Brandon...the post was just too long as it was so I called Pt 01 Much more on the tours...side entertainment, mini shows, etc comin at ya...but let'sigest this one first

Comment

And for those who can't make it to either of those there is the upstart con this year! The West Coast Haunters Convention.
        Workshop Topics announced -

Makeup

Scenic design

Faux painting

Haunt design

Starting your first haunted attraction

Haunted houses at a School for the Deaf

Actor training

Marketing your attraction

Lighting design

Airbrush makeup

Being a haunted house director

And more...

We have only one haunt tour this year, but on such short notice I am grateful for that. Haunted Milburn's Manor and Wicked Forest are opening and offer a bbq chicken dinner to boot!

Our presenters so far include -

Nick and Brian Wolfe
        Allen Hopps
        Cliff Allen
        Nick Collins
        Myself
        Kivo Phillips (for a unique perspective on haunting in the deaf world. He has been with us for 22 years)
        Jody Bossert
        Irwin Keyes
        And one other who well shall I say has been waiting for his contract to arrive.
        I think Rich might be surprised when he sees the name when I can tell you, no contract no can tell...

We also have some locals the folk from Davis Graveyard, Sculptor Toby-Wayne, our local fire marshal, lighting designers from a Portland company, Ken Franklin of Grex, Claire Sheets and company from Dark Solider Design... and I am still working with a few others.

We will have a makeup competition, thank you Graftobian for your donation, any others out there that want free ad space on all my web sites, get in touch!

Vendor wise we are getting a good response to our convention. Are we going to have 100 booths, nope, are we going to even have 31, more than likely not, we'll see. But what we will have is a good group that is willing to take a chance on the new guy and to support education in the haunt world and our cause!

We are thrilled to be offering something to our neck of the woods, because, to be honest not everyone can get to the Cons that are on the other side of the country. If I could go to all the cons, I would, I have been to most, and always come away refreshed and ready to do something new at our haunt.

It's is also my dream to help others, especially those in non-profit groups to help increase their gates through education, to help others build new and better attractions. This all began because I could no longer take my students to any of the cons out of state. I wanted to bring something to them and to other schools for the Deaf. Classes will be interpreted and some will be taped as well.

So, go to a convention, go learn something new, meet new people, find a new prop or two for your event! Is one Con better than the other, that my friends needs to be your decision

www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Halloween, it's not just for the east coast anymore!
        Ed Roberts
        Founder
        The Nightmare Factory
        www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
        www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

schedule

Brandon, buddy,
          sorry but the scheduling thing just isn't so.

this is our third year

we did first of may in 2008
          then had to swap to first of april at the last minute in 2009, because we grew so fast and needed more space

then first of may this year and next.
          only this year was a conflict.

Leonard , as is his total right, likes to wait to announce his daters as a surprise after that years con is done.
          we can't afford to, as we have to sign contracts much sooner than that, because of the size of our event.
          trust me, we in NO WAY ever WANTED to be on the same dates.
          but we did have hotel/convention center contracts signed first, and announced dated first

and just to be clear for the future, I am happy to post this

FYI, we already signed and booked 3 years in advance with 2013 info coming soon.

2010 Show Dates!
          Thursday, April 29th, 2010
          Friday, April 30th, 2010
          Saturday, May 1st, 2010
          Sunday, May 2nd, 2010

2011 Show Dates!
          Thursday, May 5th, 2011
          Friday, May 6th, 2011
          Saturday, May 7th, 2011
          Sunday, May 8th, 2011

2012 Show Dates!
          Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
          Thursday, May 3rd, 2012
          Friday, May 4th, 2012
          Saturday, May 5th, 2012
          Sunday, May 6th, 2012
          Last edited by Gravely; 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM.
          Gravely MacCabre
          aka Ricky Dick
          Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
          and
          Midnight Monster Hop
          Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
          www.castleblood.com
          www.midnightmonsterhop.com
          www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention

http://www.halloweenshow.com
          Lifetime achievement award winner
          International Costumers Guild

Comment

Whats SAD is that both of these groups put their shows on the same date... they both deserve a hand slap. Its sad that people have to even have these silly debates one vs the other... whomever is to blame should be shot.

With that being said I don't think these shows boils down to whom or which show as the most vendors, no not at all. I think we all know who has the most vendors IAAPA (LOL), but yeah they do, but for our industry its Transworld. I don't think we'll see anything and I'm mean anything at either Hauntcon or NHC that we didn't see just two weeks ago.

So the vendors in my opinion are not even important here to the success of either show... it means almost nothing.

What does matter however is the TOURS that is the most important draw to these shows... I haven't followed along with NHC tours so I don't know.

I do know that what Hauntcon has planned is really really good! I'll give the guy some credit I take my hat off to him... he's set up probably the best thing most haunters can see.

I've personally been on this tour of Tampa Busch Gardens and I'm here to tell you HONESTLY anyone who goes will be blown away. Its worth the trip period!

Then on top of that the Universal stuff, and all the local haunts. I think Leonard hit a home run here like out of the park. I give him credit.

Who's seminars are better who cares I don't, half of Hauntcons will BLOW, half of NHC's will blow, half will be great and the other shows half will be great same with any of these events. You always hear people complain about this seminar or that this one sucked this one was great, so on and so forth... I'm sure both shows will have some good ones and some bad ones.

I firmly believe these shows boil down to ONE THING... TOURS!

I think hauntcon has it nailed... not to mention a trip to Orlando is always nice! Next year both events should plan different days then its no longer an issue.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

NHC Entertainment Offerings

One offering that Rich mentioned but did not go into detail about was the entertainment track. In addition to offering Great entertainment as a part of a very low general admission all weekend, we have a HUGE prize pool for the Haunters' Got Talent Contest that any registered attendee who is not directly related to convention management, the Entertainment Staff, or Entertainment Sponsorship may enter.

Entertainment that will cost attendees no extra to experience:

Thursday Evening Meet and Greet:

John Bundy and Morgan at a party hosted by Marty Gear and sponsored by Midnight Syndicate on Thursday Night. The team that will be teaching the "Thriller Dance" will preview their skills to attendees of the Thursday Night Meet and Greet as well.

Saturday Night:

"After Party" with The Young Werewolves: 11:30 PM-2:00 AM

On the Fangoria Main Stage in the Tradeshow all weekend:

Wacky Dracky (John Bundy and Morgan) (Friday-Saturday-Sunday)
              Tony Gangi, the Amazing Human Head (Friday-Saturday)
              Horror Trivia sponsored by Fangoria.com (Friday-Saturday)
              Mistress Cheryl from Rich Hanf's Medieval Weapons of War Show (Friday-Saturday)
              The Creatures East (Friday)
              Screams and Dreams Fashion Show (Saturday)
              Professor Scrye's Cabinet of Curiosities (Sunday)
              Professor Ouch (Sunday)

And what is the Haunters' Got Talent Competition?

Your chance to win a prize package worth at least $475 in one of three categories: Most Entertaining Overall, Best Halloween Theme, and People's Choice. In addition, Professor Scrye's Promising Performer Prize (a.k.a. the PSPPP) is worth at least $175 to the Best Mystery Entertainer and a consolation prize is guaranteed to EVERY contestent who enters.

Remember, there is NO entry fee to compete, but you must pre-register your act with Chris very soon!

All of the above does not include the sideshows/museum exhibits, the haunt tour, or the Cadaver's Cotillion, all of which are "a la carte" offerings during the weekend.

For more information on the Entertainment Track, and the HGT Competition, visit these links:

http://www.facebook.com/chris.handa?v=app_2347471856

http://www.facebook.com/chris.handa?...p/366819903642

Thanks for reading...and attending!

Chris Handa
              NHC Entertainment Director
              Last edited by scrye; 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Only one week until Hauntcon! woo hoo!

Kale

Comment

thanks, Chris for posting

Valley Forge is gonna be a great show

Comment

Talent Competition Prizes

I just received confirmation on something this morning, so I wanted to post info on prizes for the Haunters' Got Talent Competition:

1. As mentioned before, EVERY entrant will receive some kind of prize. This could be a t-shirt, a CD, a book, a DVD, an autographed item, "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor, a prop, or some combination of any of the above.

2. Entrants who advance to the final round will receive a larger value compensation prize or prize bundle.

3. WINNING FINALISTS in one, two, or all three of the main categories will receive a prize package worth at least $275.00 in prizes from our Prize Sponsors. Main categories are listed below and have special awards in addition to the prize package.

4. MOST ENTERTAINING OVERALL: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
                    A. $75 in "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor
                    B. One VIP General Admission Pass to the 2011 NHC
                    C. A resin alien bust from blacklightfright.com
                    D. One custom (only two in existence) mask from wehenkelgallery.weebly.com

5. BEST HALLOWEEN THEME: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
                    C. One custom, one-of-a-kind shrunken head from grindshow.com

6. PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
                    C. One custom mounted "human skin" tattoo from skin-collector.com

7. PROFESSOR SCRYE'S PROMISING PERFORMER PRIZE (The PSPPP) is awarded to the best Mystery Entertainer regardless of whether they are a finalist or not. This is neither attached to any of the prize packages nor does it prevent one from winning a prize package as a finalist. This "bonus prize" is worth approximately $175.
                    A. $50 in "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor
                    B. One special book/prop from the "Luna" series provided by outlaw-effects.com
                    C. Special prize package from spookymagic.com

That's right...you have the chance to win $500 in prizes (or much more!) just by being enrolled for general admission and competing in a talent contest! This competion is unique to NHC and we are going "all in" to provide the best possible return for five minutes worth of talent.

Entrants will be screened by me. Those who qualify for a preliminary spot will be notified and given a time on Friday or Saturday to compete. Please contact me directly with any questions about the rules or to enter the competition. I have a maximum of twelve spots, so please don't wait until the day before the show to contact me!

Happy Halloween!

Chris Handa
                    NHC Entertainment Director
                    chris@nationalhauntersconvention.com
                    412-337-6916

Comment

This is an answer to Larry saying....

This is an answer to Larry saying...." I don't think we'll see anything we haven't already seen at Transworld"...

We have so many vendors that are debuting brand new, never before seen products it will make your head spin! As for educational classes being offered...you can't even compare...NHC..all the way!

From animatronics and costumes to props and scenery...it's all there!

You should come Larry...we'll play a few rounds of quarters..

"Sin"cerely,
                      John Denley

Comment

Well, since I have never had problems with Larry, and have no axe to grind there, I try to read any of his posts with an open mind and see if I can learn something from them.

what I learned and kind of agree with, is that often IAAPA is the cool place to look for vendors
                        Larry has said this many times.

so, We went and got an animation vendor that does not show at transworld, only IAPPA.

I think it will be a great addition for us.

and it is a huge plus for my main motivation, in being a part of NHC

" remember when it was fun"

I love Halloween and haunting, and I love the sense of wonder I always had back in the 90's as this industry was trying to find itself. and most of my friends from that time , are still my friends today, political wounds all healed up, and a focus on what is actually important

and this signing helps bring back the old days in MY head and heart anyway.

we are very proud to announce that Eric Prinz, and Kevin McCurdy will be joining us at NHC with a huge display, of their top of the line and top of the craft animations
                        Gravely MacCabre
                        aka Ricky Dick
                        Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
                        and
                        Midnight Monster Hop
                        Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
                        www.castleblood.com
                        www.midnightmonsterhop.com
                        www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention

http://www.halloweenshow.com
                        Lifetime achievement award winner
                        International Costumers Guild

Comment

2 heavy hitters !

national haunters is the show.. thanks for the posting Gravely.. ERIC and KEVIN WOW !

Comment

I can't wait!

Ricky, the evil Skip will be attending too!

Comment

Cant wait for all the awesome tours at Hauntcon...and meeting up with all my old friends and new. Come visit me on the show floor to get buried alive

Kale

Comment

Working...
                              X