wall ...what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall ...what to do

Have a question for u pro s... New to the buisness and starting the construction to my haunt..first time building a haunt..I saw this interlocking wall panels system at a few haunted design places and was wondering if there worth it ...or if any one used them and how much they are a wall...or is it cheaper to build your own....wood screws ..paint..and fire retardnt... is there a certain way that a wall has to be built ?...firemarshall...thanks for chiming in....steve

Interlocking panels are great if you are always set up on a level surface, otherwise they can be a lot of fun. I like to use the fire shield rated wood when I have to build panels. Mostly I just use rented chain link covered with printed vinyl, that way I just roll up the art and let them come get their fence. I have a lot less to store this way.
    Dan Slatkin
    SlightlySick Illusions
    Our YouTube page
    SBE Sites the home of the $2 web site
    Our Sponsor

Comment

of haunts I have designed or helped design, look at the end usage and see how big you want to make it, how much space you have to store it, where/how it will be set up, etc...

At least in a modular (setup/takedown every year) setting the best design I have worked with is using 1x3s or 1x4s layed flat "picture frame style" with Luan on the outside screwed and if desired glued to the frame. If you need a little more stability add an extra support in the middle or use a little thicker plywood. If in dark halls or if the appearance of one side doesnt matter, you technically dont have to face the back either. Then to put the whole thing together a few steel straps on either side, L brackets in the corners, and 2x4s across the top for supports. If your location allows, tapcons with L-Brackets in the floor definitely are a bonus too.

Design wise these are nice and thin and allow more walkthrough space that isnt being eaten up by 5 inch walls made from 2x4s and 1/4" plywood. The durabilty of those are superb, but think you lose close to a foot for every 2 walls, and that adds up in a large attraction. They are 3X the price, and VERY heavy, especially if double faced. I could carry 4 of the other walls vs one of those.

If you are permanent, Id go closer to housing code, with about half the studs...and do everything with screws..makes it easier to switch things around later and reuse your materials.

Those are my thoughts/experiences on the subject.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
      -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

We use the 2x4 framing and double faced with 3/8 or ply yes they are heavy but we have gotten 6 going on 7 years out of most of them so far. our floor is 2x4 on edge with 3/4 ply single faced and pressure treated. We use luan for curves and some simple half pane;s and kickers and various things
        Holy crap scaring people is fun!!!

Comment

Working...
        X