Vines in The Darkness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant vines

Where I live, which is not an area where one expects to see vines, I saw these giant, very cool vines wrapped around and climbing trees. They looked like the twisting vines from the original King Kong movie, 2-3 inches thick in parts and I thought I would just cut a bunch down from the woods and use them in a haunt someday. Maybe even silicone mold some so I could reproduce them in urethane foam.

Fortunately, I discovered these vines were actually POISON IVY vines prior to cutting any down. Who knew poison ivy got that big, but it does and they are everywhere.

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback; many good ideas! For those of you that agreed to seeing garden hose, thumbs up. Allen...you seem like a stand-up guy and always have constructive and positive feedback, thanks! Perhaps sometime we could chat [off] the forum..?
      Thanks again Haunters!

Comment

annarchy,
        Im in chat here pretty often and Im always open to talk haunt, I steer clear of topics I dont know much about but Im always willing to learn and share what I know.
        Thanks for the kind words, Talk to you soon!
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Wow... how did I miss this thread?

There are ZILLIONS of vines all over the Darkness we've spent probably 50 to 60,000 on vines over the years. We have made them from scratch and we have bought them. Can we make vines ... yes. Have we ... yes.

Most of the vines now are bought but the ones you guys keep talking about we made ourselves. Some yes are made from a garden hose atleast there is the start of making those vines.

We have bigger vines as well made from something different...

We do buy a lot of stuff from Autograph Foliage. Great company.

Maybe we should do an article for the magazine about vines.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

My entire house and property are covered by vines, real ones. I also hollow them out with a laser and use them for garden hose, then somebody buys them and makes vines out of them..I just gotta stop doing this, but it's addictive.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

LOL! Glad thats settled. Everyone is right. Ha!
              Damon
              Damon Carson

Comment

making your own vines on a budget

I just had to add my-2-centz since I didn't see one of the key ingredients I use. typically I take 5-7 50ft garden hose as mentioned, take duct tape to bring them together but stem them off into a couple combo's i.e. 7-into a three hose section and two two hose section, ending up with a couple singles at the end, so it not predictable.

Then every so often get like TV "cable" the limp stuff (stop laughing) and cut those into 3ft lengths, placing 2-5 together in groups taped again to the section of hose (vine) your working on, so they look like little vine runners. Then are the end of the "trunk" runs put in like 3-4 groups of cables in the end of each hose, giving it that branching effect over all.

I start with a light coat of latex over everything but here the deal, go buy a roll of "cotton batting" that comes in 1 inch strips all in a big roll, break them off in 16-24 inch links and "latex them" onto the long sections of the garden hose. This breaks up the "hose look after about three good coats you see the hoses now look really like vines. Paint to your taste, green, brown, etc....these come out a lot more line the vines as when you latex the cotton batting onto the hose it shapes to the hose but leaves a very unpredictable pattern much more like a natural vines would although I think more creepy.

Comment

Working...
                X