Moving Haunted Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Eric,

I'm really glad to hear you found another great location this year I'm sure you'll create an even better show this year.

Also, that was a great review of your haunt. From a guests' perspective reading that I would be excited to come out too!

Congrats on your successes!

Allan

Comment

Scale model

Thanks Allan! I'm very excited about this new location. I always wanted to do a haunt in the woods and now it's coming true.

I made a scale model today of the new 24 foot entrance way to the woods. It took a long time to figure out how I was going to build it. The whole thing comes apart so I can show people the under structure and remember myself what materials I will need, how many 6x6 beams etc. I build the model 1 inch = 1 foot scale so in the field I can just measure the pieces and that makes it real easy to cut the beams and figure out the angles.

I opened this in Photoshop so I could play with the proportions. I wanted to make the eyes bigger and more evil looking. The nose I want to move down. I will be able to make these adjustments in the field when we are building it now that I have the mock up photo. I went a step further and played with how I want to light it. I'll have fog coming out of the mouth like crazy. I did it last year in a facade and it was a big hit. I like lighting up the fog, it looks great in the mouth when people walk in. I have it shooting straight down, and the actor has a remote to give patrons a blast as they enter. There are two trees at the site that will frame the structure so I added them in the mock up so I could get an idea of what people will see when they walk up.

Enjoy,

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Very Cool!! Can't wait to see Pics of it finished!

Comment

Eric, you rock! I love that you build models before you start but everything you do is on a grand scale so I guess you have too. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new haunt, good luck!
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm kind of forced to. I could never wing it on a building like this. I approach it like a building first and sculpture second. I go through each step in my mind with the model to see if it will even work. Then I know exactly what and how many of each beam I will need and calculate cost. Also I can figure out the best way to actually build it and the steps in order because it's not like building a house where there is a set way of doing things. For instance, I will build the eye sockets on the ground so I can get a nice mean shape. Then install them on the structure.

Building this also gets me excited to get going on the project because I can see it finished in my mind already. I'll keep you posted.

Eric
            www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

More progress

A little more progress was made today. The first photo is the barn at the new location for storage. We started transporting and hanging pops in there. The barn is really creepy as it is.

We also figured out the exact placement for the new facade today. These photos show us bringing over the front porch to the first hillbilly shed and some walls to another.

Andy shows off his Haunted Overload Tattoo.

I like the small porch on the shed. The roof will make a big difference once it's on.

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Eric

The old shack in the woods just looks like something horrific is about to take place! Shane and its loving the pics! Shane this time!
                sigpic

Comment

Is that barn wood you used to build the building? It looks old, cool.

DA

Comment

I try and find the oldest boards I can for sheds like that one. Those particular boards have special meaning to me. They were sawed by my grandfather I think in the early 80's on his home made saw mill. They sat under cover for years because he always intended to build a smaller house with them. At the age of 98 he gave them to me for the haunt and I was psyched! He turns 101 in July and gets a kick out of seeing the sheds I made from his wide pine boards. They look better every year and turn a nice gray color when the sun beats on them for a while.

This is how we moved that shed the last two years.

I love the like making things with this wood. My grand father wont be around forever and it's cool to have his boards as part of the haunt. Here is a big Haunted Overload sign being made with them. I made the edges really rough and painted the logo on the front. It looked cool and better than a vinyl banner. I also made the coffins for the Soul Taker's Burial ground with them.

Here is my grandfather helping carve pumpkins at one of my home haunts, 2001 I believe.

This montage was from his 100th birthday table cards last year.

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

That is so cool you were able to work his lumber into your haunt... Very sentimental!

Keep up the fantastic work Eric, you're a true inspiration!
                      Zach Wiechmann
                      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

That's a great story! You'll always have memories of your grandfather in your future haunts, even when the day comes many, many years from now when he isn't with you any longer.

I gotta ask - what's that red thing with eight tires?

Comment

That is a crazy machine he made to travel through the woods. It didn't have a steering wheel. It worked like a bull dozer by stopping one set of wheels and pivoting on the other. It was like a tank and could go anywhere, especially with chains on the tires . He used to plow snow with it also.

Pretty wild contraption, it looks like they had fun on it.

Eric
                          www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Very cool, what a treat to have your Grandfather with you for so long!

DA

Comment

I've been waaay "out of the loop" with the Haunt World forum for the past 6 months or so.

Sorry to hear you have to move, but I'm really glad you found a new location for your haunt!!

Comment

Thats really cool! Your Grandpa sounds like a really great guy. Very cool buildings and wood to build them. Thanks for sharing Eric.
                                Damon
                                Damon Carson

Comment

Working...
                                X