No announcement yet.

Moving Haunted Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Eric said Haunted Overload he meant Haunted Overload! I cant believe some of the stuff they do! Eric dont kill yourself. Literally I am being sincere here. Some of this could actually kill you if something went wrong. Not saying it will but anything is possible. Just wondering how deep you are burying those trees? How deep do you have to put them so they dont come down. And if it rains is there a chance the soil can shift or erode and make them fall. This is all new to me? Would it be any easier to just take a tree. Remove all branches ect.? I guess not depending on how tall it is. Its just really all amazing!
    Keep up the great work!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Comment

I'm not even in the same zip code of experience with Eric, I mean that literally, not sarcastically; but I'm like Damon and start thinking of rain and all these worste case scenarios with the logs shifting.

From post #71 second photo down through the fourth, it looks like that log is nearly 50% under grade. I was going to say that the minimum I'd be comfortable with was 40% of total length under grade. That may be different logs in #71 not a progression of one, I can barely see a bifurcation at the top cut but the close up looks less straight than the full length shot in photo number two.

When I was a kid we got a guy with a wrecker to help us sink some medium sized telephone poles, about 16" diameter, for a makeshift basketball court on a farm. We put the post for the goal in a single large back of quickcrete and the one for a mounted light in a dry hole.

Over time, the one in the dry hole began to have some sway from erosion but even after years, it had only eroded to a little larger than the original hole and still wasn't really leaning. The shear weight of these may help it seat in the hole, or may make it more likely to rip the hole after erosion, I can't guess.

It also looked like the back hoe was tamping around the logs, that goes a farther than one may think toward solidifying that grade. I trust Eric's formula, just enjoy this type of construction myself and speculating. More great scenes, keep the posts coming!!

Comment

Thank you for the comments and interest in this thread. Yeah, the name kind of says it all about the overload part. It's an overload of work that's for sure, lol!

The trees aren't going anywhere, trust me. The excavator tamps the ground like nothing you have ever seen. These are actually stronger than living trees because they are in the ground much deeper and don't have branches or leaves to catch the wind like a sail. All the ones at the old location are going on their 4th year with no signs of failure. In a few years they will be cut down and something else built or put in their place. Therefore, they will not be in the ground long enough to rot.

Here are a few bonus photos.

Sketch of some stick monster heads.

One of the the heads starting to take shape. Just chicken wire and Great Stuff. It will be much more detailed when finished.

Stick monster fingers and the start of a vampire head in the background. I doubt I'll finish the vampire this year because of the move and all the new buildings this season.

Some articulated fingers for new pumpkin monsters. They will be about 14 to 16 feet tall.

It will be another scorcher of a weekend and we will be out there building like crazy. I'll try to post when I can. Enjoy,

Eric
        Last edited by elowther; 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM.
        www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

I love checking the progress of this thread, keep up the great work Eric.

Comment

Thanks for the pics and updates! Your haunt is my inspiration!

Comment

Why is smiling malevolence always scarier, or is it? For me the smiling face is always more creepy and sinister, those designs will be great new additions.

There you go, I had a feeling the tamping was the key. I can only imagine a skilled operator slamming the flat side of that bucket on the ground. Some people are artists on graders and backhoes, it's definately not a first day skill.

98 degrees here today, 91 in The Gulf, foot of snow in Canada.

Comment

I agree with 555

your progress is amazing. love the photo updates. keep 'em coming.

Comment

Mine Car progress

Hi all,

I thought I would share some pics of the mine car I am building to go out in front of the Mine Shaft entrance. It still needs wheels and a little more detail work but you can get the idea I was going for. Most of what I used to build this was leftover wood scraps & junk laying around the H.O. build site. I always enjoy trying to make something from almost nothing!

I'm sorry if you can't see these pics forum guests but photo bucket doesn't seem to like me...

Tom
                  Creative Consultant
                  Haunted Overload
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by IHAUNT; 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM.
                  www.HauntedOverload.com

Comment

Cool mine car Tom!

Here are a few more photos.

Mr Ded in front of the mine.

Talk about a gold mine! We found these old cars and a truck down a steep embankment on another part of the farm. Thank God for the excavator to get them out. I didn't want these to go to waste. They look awesome in the woods and I have a great scare planned for that scene. It got too dark to take a photo of the whole scene the way the cars are set up now but here is the process of getting the rusted hulks out and into position.

Enjoy

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Work!

Work, Work! Looking good my friend! Shane and its keep it up! Shane this time!
                          sigpic

Comment

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

At the old location breaking down the Soul Taker's Burial Ground.

LOL! We got some strange looks going down the road. These will look cool in their new spot in the woods.

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

How long is your trail Eric? With all this stuff it looks like it would be a mile or more long. Its really looking great! I would love to see it. What is your big reaper head made of? Looks really cool!
                                Damon
                                Damon Carson

Comment

Working...
                                X