No announcement yet.

Like to see military zombies disapear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With you on this one Fear, Memorial Parade is a stuid idea. But as haunt scene - sure. I don't cause it wouldn't fit our theme, not because it might be too offensive. Heck, how many people might find offense at dead bodies or mad butcher/doctor scenes and mutilated animals (props)?

I do draw the line at religion symbolism in the haunt, but that's just me and my area. More power to those that want and do that type of thing.

Wasn't there a haunt in the DC area in that had a facade with a plane crashed into the side of the building right after 9/11?

If you think a scene may keep customers away you may want to rethink the idea, but otherwise what ever floats your boat.
    Semper Fi
    http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

When I worked with the "Ghost Ship" aboard the USS North Carolina last year, I had designed a great haunt backstory with a military theme, including zombie sailors and all. The captain then told me that under NO circumstances were there to be anyone in any military uniforms or costumes that could be mistaken for uniforms. He wanted to avoid any problems with veterans groups and families of those who died on board the ship. He then went to the media and explained what the ship was doing and how all money raised from the haunt would be used to keep the memorial going in this tough economy. Basically he laid it out as a large seasonal fundraiser.

We developed a new story, changed the characters and had a very successful haunt with NO 'official' complaints from military groups.

I can see both sides to this issue and am torn between both. I don't have a personal problem with it, but I can see people taking it wrong and raising enough of a fuss that things have to be changed or shut down. It's a very fine line that I will have to deal with again this year as word of mouth spreads about the haunt.
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I am anti military for my haunts. Other haunts can do what they please, ideally each haunt would reflect the vision of its owner/creator, their vision may include military zombies, mine does not.
        In my show I do not want guests to see someone who died in a way that their friends or family might have died. So I have no suicides, no serial killers, no military ya da ya da ya da. If you see a dead human in my show, you will always see that a monster or paranormal reason killed them. I also mainly do monsters and creatures as opposed to people killing people. That is a bit extreme but its what I like, so its what I do in my show, The trail of terror.
        I also realize that when I do shows for others I need to grab a bigger audience so when I design themes and characters for SCREAMS haunt park I do use crazy people and murderers and such. Part of my trails identity is my personality and concepts being reflected in it. For the park I need each show to have a different personality so guests will identify with the one that fits the best with their personality. Would I ever do military zombies for a SCREAMS show.....most likely not. Unless it was civil war or medieval military I think the statute of limitations is up on those.
        I do not think we as an industry need to try to curtail the personalities of haunts based upon public opinion.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Freedom vs Respect

I am also a former Devil Dog (US MARINE) I personally have had friends die in this senseless war but thats another topic all together. I know I served as a since of duty to my country and part of that duty was to preserve the rights of Americans and one of those rights is freedom of speech.

I also believe in respect. No way in hell would I have done that at a Memorial Day parade!!! Out of respect for the fallen, friends of the fallen and families of the fallen. It just doesn't belong in that setting. Now in a haunt setting....I wouldn't be that offended. I personally wouldn't do it but I wouldn't boycott a place for doing it. I was at Universal Studios this pass year for HHN and they had a scare zone of zombie soldiers. I was kind of surprised that they did that. I guess since it was German soldiers they thought it was okay.

Bottom line is yes everybody has the right of freedom of speech but a little bit of common since and respect for others goes a long way. Especially in this sittuation...a parade for the people you have served and died to give you that right.

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Ronnie

Comment

Hoo rah. Kill

Comment

wickedfarmer,

I think you were wrong to try diffusing the situation. You're fighting evolution - survival of the fittest. And some people just deserve a good ass-kicking.

Comment

Being a mask mmaker in Gettysburg I wanted to make Civil War Zombie masks. I was told too that it would be tasteless and should avoid it. I would think that would interest someone out there. No?
                Has it been long enough?

I totally understand the debate and would not wear something like that or even mention that I have it during an event honoring the people who served in our armed forces.
                StackerSteve
                LoT 27
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

The WHOLE industry needs to take a look at itself....it's going down the wrong path!!

Comment

and...

Would that "Path" happen to be socio?
                    This is an expression of various "paths", if you have found the one that you are personally comfortable with and it works, and works for you..there you are.
                    Very difficult to ague with $ucce$$, especially if it pays the bills.
                    I am not saying money is the be all and end all, look at the first part, "personally comfortable with". This is where it has to start.
                    If someone is comfortable copying everything someone else has already done, aiming for that elusive target called success, well then maybe that works?
                    Most of us have our own vision don't we?
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Poll

Someone needs to do a poll on this but it seems that most rather stay away for the moment anyway! Shane and its you know my thoughts! Shane this time.
                      sigpic

Comment

I did a facebook poll of those avg. people outside of industry. Message I got was what I expected. People do not like the idea of them...with a passion. Active military seem to dislike very much...but kicker is it seems they would not say anything just ignore it. Seems to be much more of a how do I call it....a reserved just leave those they despise alone type attitude. Korea War vets...they are ready to kick ass. One comment was put firemen zombies in haunts and see how many pass fire codes.

Comment

I believe the plane crashing into the building in the DC area was from Mark Cline's Enchanted Castle Studios if I'm not mistaken, which is in Natural Bridge VA actually.

Regarding military zombies, it seems this topic is blown out of proportion I mean when was the last time you really saw a haunt with them? Maybe a handful out of thousands, it's not like every haunt does this. I agree though it's like aliens or even steam punk, it really doesn't belong in a haunt that much anyway...

DA

Comment

from Mike Goff
                            "Every thing that we do is in bad taste."
                            I just want to say that this is not true, I work very hard to not be in bad taste. I attempt to deal with monsters as opposed to people. Im not offended by your comment, I just wanted to clarify it since it is an absolute statement and there are exceptions to everything. I think very few haunters are "in bad taste" on purpose. If I think something is in bad taste then I do not do it or allow it. I am sure that many others monitor their shows as vigorously.
                            Allen H

Comment

I always like your take on things Allen, it gets me thinking. I don't think that we differ too much on this, I just took a short cut in explaining my postition.
                              I believe that no matter what kind of standards we adhere to, there will always be someone offended by something in a haunt. In our particular neck of the woods, we don't do anything that reflects on religion or the occult. We do this for personal reasons and because it would get the locals in an uproar. We all have our lines that we won't cross, or at least most of us do.

There are however many things that some people would view as "in bad taste" such as our shake n bake, or our room full of body bags, most people would say that our over flowing toilet that sprays water in your face is in bad taste. Our skinned animal heads make alot of people gag just a little bit, and say "that's gross!"
                              I think that all of these things are cool, and I have them in my haunt because I like them, and yes I think they are in bad taste, they are supposed to be.

I guess that, a better way to say it would be, that something bloody, butchered, and covered in feces is okay in a haunted house, but in bad taste when it leaves the premises. Every time we do a parade, I ask myself if our presentation is suitable for the young kids that will be watching us go by.

I don't like to speak of things in absolutes, and if I have, I will be more careful. I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you, to defend haunted attractions as good clean fun. It is however, difficult to imagine that, in our line of work, it is possible to meet everyones standards of good taste.
                              Last edited by Mike Goff; 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM.
                              www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Mike, you are absolutely right and thats well said.
                                "covered in feces is okay in a haunted house," LOL thats never OK. (shudder, to much time working at gatorland to think feces is ever OK)
                                Id love to see your show someday it sounds like alot of fun.
                                Allen H

Comment

Working...
                                X