Like to see military zombies disapear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like to see military zombies disapear

Found out others like me shudder at military zombies. I think it would do us good as industry to have them quietly disapear.

I have never said anything at trade shows; but to me this is a area I think we should stay away from. A few years ago a new haunt in my area even entered into small town Memorial Day parade with a zombie in bloddied tattered camo & genuine uniform pieces. Did the zombie leg drag routine & all. VFW had no idea this was in parade behind them...way behind usual fire trucks, bands and so on. I was at beginning of parade route and had them clean up routine a little. Then I walked sidewalk ahead of them diffusing situation. A couple of veterans were ready to literally kill. One in wheel chair was going to at least do great bodily harm. Quick talking averted the situation from becoming a scene...or from bad to worse. Needless to say when VFW found out they were livid.

Comment

I strongly disagree and i will tell you why , we and I as Americans have fought for the right to speak our minds through our artistic talents , rather it be in creature costuming, airbrushing , haunted houses, parades ,or theatrical it is not wrong to have zombie s as a part of your attraction nor is it wrong to have military zombies i fully support every artist out there in the making of a military zombies i am a US MARINE and see no harm in it whatsoever its all theater and make believe and its our freedom of expression , with that said i will only say that our industry is like any other except we scare people for fun and their will always be controversy in any type of amusements rather it be theme parks social events theater film or business our intentions are not to disrespect anyone or cause turmoil but to entertain the way that we want to because we live in a free country that we have fought for tirelessly and to that i commend everyone of my brothers and sisters both in our military and in our industry and ask that we all respect the rights of another when it comes to this thread thank you

Comment

Thank you Fearasylum for starting this out; how do I say ;"respectable" I knew there would be both views. I can guarantee you if I had not walked along sidewalk of parade this thread would have been on here two years ago after national news would have covered it. "Zombie in Memorial Day Parade removed by vets" When I say I difused the situation...that is putting it mildly. I know stuff my haunt does will offend many of general public..can't be helped. And I agree that you and other vets made this country able to do zombies as artist sees fit, and that we can have cvil discussions about what ever we feel like; not what gov. says we can and can't. There are a couple groups I go out of my way not to offend though; and I do not mean race's.

Comment

I agree with Fear Asylum. And by the way THANK YOU for all you do in the Marines and for our country.

I dont see a problem with using military zombies any more than I would see a problem using and "OLD GRANNY". The problem is how and what you use to market your haunt. If a town had a freak problem of people hanging themselves, I wouldn't walk down the street in a parade having my actors wearing a rope around their neck.

Just like in the case your talking about, think of how many seniors citizens, many of which are possibly vetrans are sitting along side the road watching this.

The seniors problably aren't going through your haunt. And the patrons that do go through your haunt probably wont be affended by using military zombies. That is unless your putting on a haunt at a military base.

I guess the thing to remember is who your audience is and choose your marketing stratagy wisely.
          Kelly Anderson
          Owner- Halloween Undercroft
          http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
          Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

I have said this befor..

I think it's an area we should not tread. Guys coming out of the service have enough to deal with from depression, no job, family problems, no insurance, nightmares of seeing their friends blown to bits. Most things in the haunt industry is made up on fiction but this is a real life nightmare for our troops and their families. I say back away there is so much we can create and express in this industry whats wrong with at least holding off till our troops get home out of respect for them anyway. I would not want to see a guy break down because he too has seen his friends laying in a million pieces. I would not even find it funny for a solider to walk through my haunt thinking hes going out for a night of fun only to see a scene of a bunch of dead guys in military clothing to bring some flashback of something bad that he or she has seen happen. I call it respect it's respect for the one's that's giving up their life for our freedom and it's respect for the famalies that's lost loved ones. Shane and that's my opinion! Shane this time.
            sigpic

Comment

Then Again..

There seem to be a great many people who only tolerate Halloween as placed securely where they think it belongs, at the end of October.
              There are also sometimes people or groups participating in a parade that don't like anyone or anything else to be in the parade to possibly detract from them, their message or cause.
              Parades are supposed to be a fun celebration of expression, I always thought, of course this might run contrary to a themed parade in which case care should be exercised so as not to upset or offend a large number of people.
              All parades are really not for all and everybody.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim;

You hit a point I said to guys while in middle of street. For any other area parade like town jubilees, firemans field days, melon fest parade, etc. they may have been fine. But a zombie in uniform doing dead leg drag in Memorial Day parade crossed the line. By the way there that little town that blink and you miss it; had one of it's sons come home from Iraq in a casket the previous year.

Comment

Just in case this were to come out; which I severely doubt on here. I want to state it up front. The new haunt unknown to me at time until meeting at beginning of parade was a former actor of mine who was opening a new haunt 3 miles from me that fall. Not hiding any thing or trying to bash them.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedfarmer View Post
                    Jim;

You hit a point I said to guys while in middle of street. For any other area parade like town jubilees, firemans field days, melon fest parade, etc. they may have been fine. But a zombie in uniform doing dead leg drag in Memorial Day parade crossed the line. By the way there that little town that blink and you miss it; had one of it's sons come home from Iraq in a casket the previous year.
                    Theres not very many rules when it comes to how you conduct your haunt. Its almost like "ANYTHING GOES", to a certain degree. A haunter can set up nearly any kind of gory scene and most the time, the patrons will think its great. Although one has to realize that just because they can set up anything, doesnt mean they should.

Several years ago, a fellow haunter wanted to do a "killer Santa". Our board of directors shot that idea down so fast and I dont blame them. Our haunt is in representation on the Boys & Girls club so it definately seams like a fair call to not allow that. Grantid thats a little different than a zombie soldier. But the principle is the same.

If someone has that much disrespect to do what you said they did in a parade given those circumstances....That ticks me off bigtime. A prime example of makeing all haunts look bad. Especially in a small town where everybody knows everything going on. COMON SENSE!! Definately saddens me to hear that kind of disrespect.
                    Kelly Anderson

Comment

I wil cut them a little slack. The town where parade was -was a few towns away or about 15 miles away. I doubt zombie knew situation of parade town losing a recent graduate. Also this hit paper asking question "do zombies or politicians belong in Memorial Day parade . Many people saw nothing wrong with this in comments responding to papers online column. Some were very upset.

Comment

I will say this and then bow act with my diginty ,they do not belong in a memorial day parade at. All but as for haunted houses and theater give me a break although I am no longer in the military. Iam still a Marine and all ways will. Be . Larry I guess you should get rid of all your military garb and do away with your haunts now just because Shane. Says so give me a break I mean really freedom of expression
                        Last edited by FEAR ASYLUM; 04-17-2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Fear

FEAR! LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN THIS IS MY OPINION! If your all for freedom of expression then I will say this Its my God Given Freedom To "Express" The Fact That In MY Opinion they don't have anything to do with a haunted house. Now don't try to change my opinion because its going to turn into a long battle over this issue. You say its nothing wrong with it. I on the other hand say its not appropriate so don't get in a pissing match with me just because I disagree with you and for the record I was born into a Military family and I was born right at Fort Bragg North Carolina. Shane and its I have many Veterans in my family! Shane this time.
                          sigpic

Comment

VALID POINTS no matter what side of this we're on. But when it all boils down to it, use common sense and give respect where it is do.....PERIOD.
                            Kelly Anderson

Comment

I think a military themed haunt is fine. People will be aware of the theme before they buy a ticket and can choose if its something they want to see before they even arrive. If I had a family member that was killed in the woods I would know beforehand that a haunted woods attraction is something I wouldn't want to go see. No reason to be offended. I just wouldn't go.

A soldier zombie at a Memorial Day parade is just asking for trouble. You know vetrans will be there and you are going to be right in their face. The vetrans are going to be offended and if they are offended you know their family will be offended right along with them. I don't see how this type of publicity could possibly give you a boost in ticket sales. The only reason to participate in public promotions to increase ticket sales. Why piss off a bunch of people that could have been your customers? Just from a stricly business perspective this is a terrible idea.

From a moral perspective this is just too over the top. There is a time and place for everything and this is just a bad idea all around. Would you have a satan character attend a religious event? Would you have a mentally handicapped character at a special olympics parade? Of course you wouldn't. I don't see how this situation is any different.
                              Last edited by dawn408; 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X