portable restrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable restrooms?

I was talking to my friend out west who has been haunting for years. He has a permanent space, I'd like to sometime very soonI really learned a lot but I wanted to ask a few questions here to get some discussions going. I'll break them up in different threads. I'd love to hear from you on these.

For those in permanent or long term leased locations, are you allowed to use port-a-potties in lieu of permanent bathrooms? I have seen some permanent spots use portable restrooms on the outside of their shows and that's obviously acceptable. But I also heard that that some areas will make you have a full bathroom with several toilets, urinals.... No portable restrooms. That's a big expense and the building owners are only required to do a standard bathroom, you would have to cover the expansion of multiple stalls, etc.

I guess these questions goes to those not in old grocery stores or retails spaces who already have suffiient restrooms....

Thoughts?

DA

Restrooms

We use portable restrooms at our facility and we own the building. It is alot easier to let someone come in and clean them. If you use portables just make sure your company cleans them on a regular basis, some try to clean them only once a week. Make sure they understand they will be used more than usual. Also, make sure you have a handicap accessible unit as well. Our company we use does a great job, just check around and see who can do the best for you. Hope this helps. Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian, that is great info especially the hadicapped one thats important. I wonder how it is if you lease the building rather than own it? Portables are definitely easier...

DA

Comment

Also see if they will throw in a portable sink. People seem to like them a lot. I used portables our first and second year. We put restrooms in and didn't seem to have an issue. However you do have to have someone checking them hourly for issues of out of paper, plugging them up, etc. Depends on your cost. Our portables were expenses compaired to using permanent ones.

Comment

I also used the portable restrooms, and found they were easy and really simple to use and rent. I dont know what everyone elses rates for these are but for one porta jon it is $75 a month...

Kale

Comment

We have been in our building for eight years, but we still use portalets outside.
            Brett Hays, Director
            Fear Fair
            www.fearfair.com

Comment

Brett,

did you have to file something extra in permits to be able to use portalets instead of having to install permanent bathrooms? Do they require a certain number to have on site?

Thanks,
              DA

Comment

This also depends on your location, but I have used port-a-johns for years at DarkWood, and there has never been any problem. I didn't have to get any kind of permit. I just called the port-a-john guy and had him deliver.
                sigpic
                Louis Brown
                Owner, operator, and dish washer
                at
                DarkWood Manor

Comment

Some port-a-pottys

Have a very strong disenfectant put in them, so strong it burns my eyes from 20 feet away!
                  (Give me back the smell of feces and rancid urine! Please!)
                  So..using such a port-a-potty Indoors!? Not if they use that chemical in them. Really. I am serious, the smell of human waste is much more desirable over that chemical smell, I mean, the human product decomposes and lessens, the chemical doesn't seem to get weaker at all.
                  That chemical smell even eventually found it's way into our living space somehow, yee gads!
                  Ick! Puke! My nose hairs were twirling , drilling deeper into my nose to try and lose that smell.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Whoever issues your permit to operate will 'usually' require a stall for every X number of patrons. Haven't ever heard of them caring whether its permanent indoors or port-a-potty, nor whether you own the property or rent.
                    To comply with ADA you will also need at least 1 handicap stall.
                    In our jurisdiction a sink is also required.

Now your job will be to determine the number of toilets. Kind of like how large your parking lot needs to be

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Thanks Brian, that is great info especially the hadicapped one thats important. I wonder how it is if you lease the building rather than own it? Portables are definitely easier...

DA
                    http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

Lets not forget they should have lights in them. They stay much cleaner if they do also.
                      Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Yes i second the lights! we actually used the tap lights and stuck em in there, seemed to work well...guess we coulda had a restroom attendent inside holding a flashlight! haha

Kale

Comment

Yeah, can't forget the lights. Actually we tried the tap on lights one year and all the batteries kept getting stolen - thats just wierd!

Also in case you don't have enough toilets, or not enough servicing a week, don't forget to assign someone "The Stick"

Originally posted by Dreamreaper View Post
                          Lets not forget they should have lights in them. They stay much cleaner if they do also.
                          http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

We have never been asked about the portalets or had to obtain any sort of payment. We poured a little concrete pad out front under an overhang and they set the three portalets there. We have a light under the overhang so it shines through the translucent tops they have to provide lighting. We have never had a handicap accessible one and nothing's been said so far, but that's a good point, Karl. I may get one of those this year just to be on the safe side.. however the haunt isn't handicap accessible.

I have always taken the 'don't be a good samaritan' approach on ADA compliance. My inspector told me that if you make any efforts to be wheelchair compliant then you have to meet every standard and that would be nearly impossible for us... think about a vortex bridge, etc. So, we just state that we are not handicap accessible, sorry.
                            Brett Hays, Director
                            Fear Fair
                            www.fearfair.com

Comment

Great answers and info thanks everyone. It seems most of you are not required to have permanent restrooms and portables are fine. Good to know!!

Lights, never thought of that great idea....I think what Bret does is a good idea putting them directly under a light source those things are thin at the top allowing a lot of light in....

Thanks,
                              DA

Comment

Working...
                              X