Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many minutes should a haunted house last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long ?

How fast can you run?

Comment

It is not always about time but about "depth of experience" If you have an endless maze where everything feels the same it might not be as good as something shorter where many different things happen. a huge variety of different experiences is worth "clock time" or Sq footage any day.
      Ben Armstrong
      NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
      www.Fearworld.com
      www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread when such a closely related one was already here. I hope some of you guys are still reading / keeping up with this. I need some opinions.

I have a 2 trailer haunt that should take about 6 min's to get through (estimation) We're trying to project the average length of time to get from front door to the first room (2 small dark mazes etc) all the way down to how long we're going to tortue folks etc.

If a show is only 6 minutes average, BUT!... You involve them SO MUCH, they are literally part of the show. It'll be hands on w/o freaking people out. We're going to kidnap people without grabbing and dragging them etc. 3 of the 5/6 group will get hands on experiences from being kidnapped and tortured, to being part of a really cool illusion / scare.

If they REALLY get a great show for 6 minutes, what kind of price should we look at? We expect to have folks come out going 'WOW, that was so cool'. And what we're trying to do, is give them 'talk' materials, like the one who gets kidnapped, will have to tell the rest of the group later what she experienced in the hallways and torture table, and the ones in the illusions get to tell how it's done.

So... opinions on pricing? Should I stick with the dollar per minute plan? Or I have a few people saying $8 sounds good.

Thanks.

Dewayne

Comment

Let me just say this... there are a lot of haunters out there that TOTALLY LIE or TOTALLY EMBELLISH the truth about how long it takes to walk through their haunt. Creepyworld is MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE... if you ever get the chance to come during October you should just to see Creepyworld. Creepyworld is totally awesome and its long as hell... if I started at the beginning and just walked the whole thing with no one there it might take me about 15 minutes. Anyone should be able to walk a mile in 10 minutes or run one in 7 or 8 minutes. So tell me is your haunted house a mile long?

There is 1 Mile = 5280 Feet. How many haunted houses are 5280 walking feet? UMMMM not many if ANY!

So if you can walk a mile in 10 minutes, even if your haunt was TWO miles long its still under 20 minutes long. So lets get real for a second...

If you want to add in all the time they wait in a long line, or slowing down because they are scared, or whatever it still couldn't take more than 15 minutes for the average haunted house at best!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your haunt is TOUR driven then sure it could take as long as you want it to... but you would never make a dime because you couldn't put any huge numbers through the place.

So the bottom line is this... Most haunts in America realistically are LESS THAN 10 minutes long. Lets just call a spade a spade...

Now if you want to add in everything that goes along with your experience sure it could be a lot longer but to answer your question lets go back to what I already said...

How long does it take a NORMAL person to walk a mile??? Lets just say a nice pace puts you at 10 minutes for every 5,280 feet. Most haunted houses are NOT that long... I would actually say HALF of that so that is FIVE minutes! Now add back in the time they take walking slow, or getting stopped maybe you get back to 10 or 12 minutes.

That is your average!

Larry

Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry just as a note a average person walks at a 4 MPH rate that would = 15 min mile and the the world record haunt right now is a little over 2600 feet long. but a person in a haunt walks below a 2 MPH pace, and yes i did check this with a pedometer.
            Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
              Larry just as a note a average person walks at a 4 MPH rate that would = 15 min mile and the the world record haunt right now is a little over 2600 feet long. but a person in a haunt walks below a 2 MPH pace, and yes i did check this with a pedometer.
              You're right, austind.

4 MPH is actually a pretty quick walk. Probably about the pace someone in an airport would walk if he were worried about getting to his gate on time. Try 4 MPH on a treadmill. As you said, at 4 MPH, it would take 15 minutes to go a mile (5,280 feet).

6 MPH is a jog. At 6 MPH it would take you 10 minutes to go 5,280 feet. A lot of recreational 5K runners take 30 minutes to run a 5K (3.1 miles) which is about 6 MPH.

I would believe 2 MPH as a pace through a haunt (even lower if you really look around). At 2 MPH it would take 30 minutes to walk a mile.
              Last edited by Abunai; 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM.
              Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
              http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

There isn't hardly any haunts in America that are over 5000 linear square feet no way...

Here is the reality 98% of every haunted house in America is less than 10 to 12 minutes and you can take that to the bank!

Most haunt owners out there say it takes 30 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour whatever... we all know as haunt owners we embellish the truth on just about everything.

So we can't take what we read on haunts websites as reality you have to go there, whip out a stop watch and walk thru... but you'll come up with different times depending on when you go!

For example if you go on a SLOW night I bet you get thru a haunt 40% faster than on a Saturday getting stuck behind scared people who will not MOVE... so if that happens the time in a haunt can take double the time.

But honestly I think when we talk shop here we should be talking the truth, how long does it take to experience your haunt with no one in line start to finish.

Most haunts less than 15 minutes TOPS! You go to Universal or say Knotts they won't have a haunt that will take more than 5 to 8 minutes each, and most haunts in the country aren't much bigger or only slightly bigger than the biggest single haunt at Universal. Yes there are many HUGE haunts, the Darkness is over 30,000 square feet, and if I made an honest guess hmmm... 20 minutes tops. Then you have some place like Creepyworld and yes we are telling the truth when we say it will take over an hour to get thru the place with que lines, haunts, and everything yeah an hour but that is a rare bird.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joedog View Post
                  My favorite line when asked "How long does it take to go through?"
                  In a dead pan serious look I say "How fast can you run?"
                  I like this answer! We've answered the same question occasionally with "We're not really sure. There's still a few people we haven't found."
                  Chad Portenga
                  www.hauntedhall.com

Comment

There are a lot of ways to make your haunt last longer we use lines between attractions to enhance the experience. In the lines we have actors and stage shows so the experience really seems bigger and better. I personally don't feel its about how long your haunt is but while they are there do they actually experience a show in the haunt or out.

Comment

Working...
                    X