3-D object replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-D object replication

I was reading this article about a machine that acts like a printer, but it prints 3-dimensional objects using ABS plastic.
    They cost over $17,000 right now, but it seems like something that, once the technology progresses and the price drops, could be really useful for haunts who want to create their own props. Just design and print!
    Check it out:
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...e-designjet-3d

Thoughts?

That would be a cool tool to have, but I bet the printer cartridges for it would cost a mint. lol
    sigpic
    Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

Comment

The Price May Drop..

But can it ever work cheaper than us coolies?
      Probably not.
      I make 3 dimensional objects all the time!
      Some of them plug my plumbing...some stand alone looking like something.
      The trick is for someone to figure out how to own such technology AND be able to sell it's output and make it all pay.
      The artesian with hand tools still can do incredible things,and hopefully always will find patrons for his work.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I seen it on Modern Marvels. Its awesome. Prints out the pages like a printer. After each (page/layer) is printed the next one lays on top and so on. So if your object for example is 4 inches high it will print pages on top of each other untill it reaches it. Then it is washed and the 3D part is exsposed. Then its treated for hardess and wammo its done. Then they make a mold or die from that. If I remember correctly it prints out some kind of liquid ABS or glue.........

Comment

There are some that are much cheaper, like the CupCake CNC which is around $1,000, but most can only make objects that are a few inches in height...might be good for some purposes though.

Comment

Yup. Cupcake is a cheap 3d-printer, and there are a few other low-end kits out there, like RapMan.

My suggestion to anyone who wants to try out this cool technology is to find a local shop to print something out for you. A good rate for a top knotch printing (like, from machines costing more than 100k) is about $25 / hour. And just for perspective, printing a hollow bust/mask would probably take 10-15 hours, plus time to set up and clean the part.

Of course, you've got to get a digital model into a format they can print from (.stl), which might not to be easy...
            Last edited by derekatronic; 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X