how do you handle "haunt drama"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you handle "haunt drama"?

well over the years i have been working. i have seen some things that has not talked about.. like haunt drama..

haunt drama is when a group of actors are mad or they become there own little groups in a sort of way..

it's in a way of like high school... how you have the jocks, preps, losers, etc..

how you handle this?

HG
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

The 'us and them' mentality will always factor in when you have large groups of people working together. I've helped elevate some of that by making DarkWood the 'us' group. So, if you are a member of DarkWood, no matter what groups or pecking orders you belong to outside the haunt, you are one of 'us', and everyone who is not a part of the haunt is one of 'them'. Basically it is just fostering a family atmosphere. We keep the actors involved with one another through out the year with game nights and social outings. We still get a little drama from time to time, but what family doesn't.
    sigpic
    Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

Comment

It's always funny.

When one worker will be lording it over another because they have been here longer, therefore, they know more about what goes on, went on, ex cetra, and sometimes that self-elevating person has been here a night more!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

1 Word CATAPULT!!!! a Cannon can also be subsitute.
        you build a platform around it infront of your desk when they come up talking about the drama you teach them to fly!!!!
        If your an actor and other people are telling you about it I usually smile and nod and listen because most of the time the person complaining just needs to vent. but any time you get a group of people together you are going to get drama on some level.
        Proud to be able to work at
        http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Years ago...

In October we had a spare bedroom and a couple would end up there that would be working here for us.
          A day or two later and here comes the "He said-She said" soap opera of misplaced affections, misunderstandings, and romantic angst, all of which they wanted us to listen to, referee?
          Maybe if we had Nothing else to do..in October...?
          Have you ever noticed how most people, even when they beg for your advice, almost never follow any of it, no matter what it is? (Which Really makes it all a waste of everyone's time!)
          "GGGRRR!"
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Haunts breed drama... it just comes with the territory.
            Come see what lies BENEATH!
            www.cagleshauntedbarn.com

Comment

Umby..

Maybe the drama is more of a "youth" thing, since I have heard the rumor that some haunts with a crew of older workers often suffer alot less drama...but then, maybe that was just a rumor?
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                Maybe the drama is more of a "youth" thing, since I have heard the rumor that some haunts with a crew of older workers often suffer alot less drama...but then, maybe that was just a rumor?
                I think I gotta agree with you on this one Jim, we have our share of both veteran actors & newbies, the veteran's seem to be able to handle their "social issues" outside of the haunted house a lot better & keep them there where they belong. The "newbies" don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of what you leave at the door ouside & what you bring inside. There's my 2 cents.

John
                John Elks - Staff

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

I now form my own groups. I decide who is in what click by where I assign them. I encourage different groups to have pride in themselves, I have six haunts so each haunt has an Identity, then I have a group of actors who are "floaters" who I use to fill in whatever show I need to and they fell special because they get trained for every show. I also have stiltwalkers who are their own click but also identify with the house they are at the most. We also have park roamers who are a tight unit.
                  Each group can have its own chant and call back and that helps make them a tighter unit with associative pride. If you have a beginning of the night meeting I recommend making your clicks stand together and make a point to give each group a note of some kind, try to have a positive note if you can.
                  There are toxic people sure, but they are toxic everywhere they are and I try my best to eliminate them. Know your actors names, and listen to their concerns like soultkr said. Many of the personnel problems will work themselves out if you ignore them, know your rules and come down hard if they are broken.
                  Thats the way it works for me,
                  Allen H
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen is right on about the toxic people they will contaminate don't matter what you do with them just cut the cord and alot of the drama go away.Oh and don't forget about haunt love and breeding among actors.......
                    Destiny comes to those who listen...... Fate finds the rest.

Comment

Haunt Drama

Greetings~

After watching this thread and comapring many of the diffrent respoonses my opinion on being able to "avoid" Haunt Drama.

Basically, no matter WHAT you TRY to do there always will be some "sort" of drama happening.

When I started my group( which mind you has been gatherd through the many years that I have been doing haunts), they (at least the new ones that join on from year to year) bascally told "Leave your personal issues at the door. If you can't, then yo know where the door is , but dont let it hit ya in the back side when you are walking out of it."

Harsh, granted , but I ( or our core crew) dont have the time to deal with it. Have we lost a few actors that way ? Yes granted they have. Would we let them back? Sure as long as they can keep the drama out ouf the Haunt.

We have a bit of a "3 strikes rule". once than happens .. dont bother comming back.

As far as the "core members" who have been around each other for quite a while(some of us upwards of 8-10 years) we know each others "quirks" so it makes it easier fo us to get along and talk thinkgs out if something isn't right.

Granted YES, as Allen said , there will ALWAYS be "toxic" people. Sometrimes gettin rid of them is the only option. As had as it may be, sometimes you just "got to do what you got to do", as hard as it is especially if they are good at what they do.

Just my thoughs on the "Haunt Drama" aspect.
                      ~LoneWolf

Comment

Simple!

If you already own a haunt sell out! Move on and start a new haunt family and life! Things will be so much better! Shane and thats what I did! Shane this time!
                        sigpic

Comment

Come on Shane. That is not practical advise. I don't think most want to pick up and run every time some drama develops. That is like telling someone that if they have a problem with their wife they should just divorce her, and get a new one.
                          Selling out maybe a final option but I hope it wouldn't be someone's first response.
                          sigpic
                          Louis Brown
                          Owner, operator, and dish washer
                          at
                          DarkWood Manor

Comment

We maintain a "No Drama" policy and each year we reinforce this in our Orientation and Safety Training. There will always be those who choose to feel "victimized" no matter what great opportunity or circumstances are presented to them. In my opinion, we haunt owners sacrifice far too much blood, sweat, tears and finances to allow a problem-oriented individual to have a negative impact on our experience, the team's experience and our guests' experience.

We're very fortunate in that we have a mostly positive team who sincerely appreciate the opportunity. Usually the negative "victims" work themselves out of the team by isolating themselves, or better yet, they get with the program and join the others in having fun creating incredible memories for the guests and themselves. If they can't do this, they just aren't a good fit anyway.

There's my .02 :lol:

Kel
                            sigpic
                            Kelly Allen
                            Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                            www.RaycliffManor.com
                            www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                            www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Best way to limit Haunt drama....

Limit your time on the message boards!!!!!
                              R&J Productions
                              Las Vegas, NV
                              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X