walkways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walkways

What is the norm for how wide a hallway should be? Right now I'm sitting with 48 inches, and I think that's to wide. What do u think? Any help would be nice.

Thanks
    Andrew

90% of my hallways are 4' wide, makes life easy when dealing with 4' wide walls. Good for wheelchairs as well.

-Joel-
    Heartstoppers
    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I believe 42'' is ADA compliant, with 36" doorways.
      I believe that is right, If you wish to stay ADA compliant then I would not go narrower. Like Joel, 90% of my hallways are 48" wide. Also If 48 is the norm then they feel the "squeeze" when it drops down to 42".
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Right on Allen...
        The big issue if you are required to be ADA compliant. If you are a temporary event many times ADA is not required. It will depend on if they rule on the event or on the location. I permanent building might require ADA no matter (based on the location). Tents, trailers or other outdoor events can definitely push the temporary status. Just like carnivals and fairs are not required to be ADA.

If you do have special areas where you really want to squeeze them and space permits, just supply a by-pass (a parallel hall that remains 42" to go around the small area.

If you decide to add something like a squeeze hall like Ghost Ride's Big Squeeze, have a 3 way switch control the fans. You have a switch at the beginning of the hall and the second switch at the end. Place them high and out of normal sight. Then instead of having to build a by-pass, you just turn off the fans, pillows deflate, you walk through, then turn the fans back on!!

Also good for Actors Coordinators or other staff that has to get through the area!!
        R&J Productions
        Las Vegas, NV
        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Right you are!

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
          I believe 42'' is ADA compliant, with 36" doorways.
          I believe that is right, If you wish to stay ADA compliant then I would not go narrower. Like Joel, 90% of my hallways are 48" wide. Also If 48 is the norm then they feel the "squeeze" when it drops down to 42".
          Allen H
          At Death Row we build our hallways big enough for a wheelchair to go through, there might be a tight squeeze here & there but for the most part we stay right at or around 48".

John

Nashville, TN 37211

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net
          John Elks - Staff

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

Working...
          X