Final wrapups: NHC and hauntcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final wrapups: NHC and hauntcon

It's been awful quiet since the conventions.... How about some reports, opinions, sales figures, successes/failures, general observations, attendance figures, etc. please post photos too. thanks.

anybody out there?

or is everybody at the auction in buffalo? hope you got some great buys.

Comment

Nhc

I for one thought nhc was great. It had something for eveyone from animatronics down to little nic naks for the average collector. Now we all know that transworld is the Mecca for the haunt industry but nhc has the potential to be a great show. I urge the smaller companies and the guys making masks and props in there garage to get a booth at this show it's worth it. I myself was able to pick up some odds and ends for my costume for great prices. Networking is top notch here. I have a beif case full of business cards and personal contact info. I plan on making some calls very soon. Like I said befor the GraveYard Prop Shop did verywell at the show and the Internet orders are rolling in, needless to say GPS will be at NHC in 2011.

Tim
      Tim McCall

Comment

anybody from hauntcon ?

please, chime in. really want to know about the convention and the other attractions and side activities. was unable to attend either so I'm (and I'm sure others) are anxious to hear. thanks.

Comment

On Friday RFR will have a Hauntcon show.

Next Week a NHC show

and the following week a Texas Frightmare Weekend show.

So hopefully that will give you something.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
          http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
          "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
          http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

NHC 2010 Impressions

Thoughts:
            It is a bit less polished than other shows - but it in its second year as a convention, this is understandable.
            The hosts made every effort to make the event run smoothly.
            The hosts wanted feedback, negative or positive.
            They need to come up with better vendor hours the existing ones were an odd mishmosh
            A logical badging system (simply marked vendor (no company) or guest, no names on either )

Site:
            The hall is definitely 3rd tier, they will need to upgrade in a few years - when they do, the Liberty City has a huge hall.
            The hall floor plan is cumbersome - complaints were heard regarding locations of seminars, events, etc.
            Loading and unloading was fairly easy.
            Hall was cooperative in hanging banners, security access to the floor, etc.
            Services layout (air/electrical) was not well considered
            What was planned and what the true layout was IMO, was hazardous.
            Tripping being the number 1 problem with the way the services were supplied.
            Access panels were almost mid aisle, with hoses and cords taped down to booths.
            The organizers told me they plan to address that next year.
            I believe with proper planning they could expand into more space - there was an Auto show concurrent, in the next/connected hall.
            Many more amenities were supplied than compared to other venues we have attended
            The huge one IMO - free internet service.

Vendors:
            The make-up of this show is very mixed bag.
            But it was rather a pleasure.
            Many were what I call "smaller" vendors.
            Some were less polished, many were spectacular.
            Quite a few of those should consider a foray with the larger venues.
            Others were completely out of their element, and had products better suited towards other "focused audiences"

Audience:
            Potential from the region is huge - could easily outsize other events with judicious planning/promotion within 3-5 years.
            Philadelphia is the second largest city on the East Coast, sixth largest city, and 4th largest metro region.
            Located in the middle of the Northeast Corridor, placing it 100 miles south of New York, 133 miles north of Washington, D.C., and 55 miles from Atlantic City.
            Nearly 75 million people - approximately a quarter of the U.S. population - live within an 8 hour drive from Philadelphia.
            Much of that audience is in a region where the economy is still relatively strong, and employment is higher than the national average.

Attendance:
            Pre-sales numbers were inflated, but my expectations were not.
            Have you yet to see ANY show provide accurate numbers?
            I would guess/suggest that the total gate was about 1000-1100 adults.
            This is a mixed audience show and included children of all ages.
            Some enhanced promotion could really drive the attendance numbers up.

Interests:
            Mixed bag - horror fans, cosplay fans, film buffs, sci-fi buffs, mystic and paranormal buffs, but mostly Halloween and haunt enthusiasts.
            A reasonable number of haunts did attend, as well as some regional/national parks.
            There were some international buyers as well, to my surprise.

Lodging:
            2 Hotels attached to the convention hall, seemed overpriced to me, even with show discount.
            Seems that King of Prussia is a tourist destination (if you are a shopaholic) with the seconds largest mall in the US.
            Means there are plenty of hotels, but they are f-ing nuts on their pricing.
            Like Miracle Mile hotels nuts, or Times Square hotels nuts.
            However I did get a good rate on 3 rooms and it was 2 minutes from the hall.

Dining:
            Everything was there within a few miles.
            Found a carry out place with a rocking selection of brews to, so I was happy at the end of each day to crack open all sorts of tasty bevies.

Entertainment/Activities:
            Honestly I do not care about this category, you rarely see me outside the show floor at shows....
            They had a number of events planned and 2 tours that I was aware of.
            They involved all the age categories and the vendors as well, which I thought was solid approach.
            Auctions, fashion shows, talent shows, contests, education seminars were all at this show.

Impressions:
            Consider this a growing show, do NOT write it off.
            I was caught off guard to hear how many people never knew a web gun product existed.
            So many in fact, that we were voted Best Product by audience polling - um, 11+ years ?!?
            Whoddathunk it?

We will do this show again.
            I would recommend anyone with a days travel also consider it.
            GoryCorey
            See all MinionsWeb Original Cob Web Guns, Boomer Air Cannons and weather tight LED Light Bulbs at the MinionsWeb.com online store

Comment

I agree with a lot of what Corey had to say. I think what gives this show such potential is the owners, Rob and Michael, they truly work year round on making this show as big of a hit as they can. You all ready know a lot of what's going on for next years show at this show, things like dates and tour info. And they really listen to the vendors and the customers on what they are looking for and try there best to bring it to them. Lets look at the facts we have two guys that weren't big names in this industry take a back yard BBQ to get to know like minded people in the area and turn it into a really sold convention in what maybe 10 years total. Not to bad I would say, it really shows there hard work. A lot of what there doing right now is bringing things in to see what works and what doesn't ( testing the waters ) but I think like Corey said maybe 4 to 5 years and it could be one of our industries bigger more solid shows.

Robert Dudzieck
              Fright Factory

Comment

I thought Hauntcon was done very well despite the scheduling issues. Leonard does a fine job every year in bringing quality speakers and instructors and even thought I didn't attend, everyone I talked to said the tours were first rate. It was very cool for them to see how the big theme parks work their haunts (as I used to act at one for several years) and the instructors that they brought in were first-rate. I learned a lot from the seminars I attended and made some solid contacts that will hopefully inprove my business. There will be plenty of HC recapped in this weeks RFR so tune in for that.

On a secondary note, I saw a lot of people who had brought their families down for mini-vacations. With discounts at The Mouse and other local attractions, how could you not? The weather was absolutely PERFECT with temps in the 80's and sunny everyday but Friday. I got to see a good friend that I hadn't seen in over 20 years and it was great to catch up.

The costume ball was first-rate as usual and a good time was had by all, especially at the afterparties. Watching Leonard attempt to crack a bullwhip while dressed as Herman Munster was something I can now check off my bucket list.

Kudos to everyone who helped to make it a successful weekend. I hope to see a few of you in Louisville next year...
                http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I did not personally attend either event so I won't say one way or another... however a couple thoughts to both shows.

NHC:

1) For one your show sounds too much like MHC and I think it confuses people I think you should change it. To some degree when you promote your show you might just be promoting MHC instead.

2) I think and don't take offense you have the messiest website I've ever seen its so hard to read, and follow I think it just sends peopel way. You have something like 500 million links piled on top of each other and most of the info is useless anyway. Look at TW site much cleaner, organized, and easier to follow. I think this is a big drawback.

3) Events are to much like MHC almost like copying I think you should come up with more of your own events that make you seem more unique. I think that is a draw when you have something no one else has or something you originated it makes you more original.

4) Tours: With so many haunts near you I don't get why you don't have the biggest tours of all these shows, more work needs to be put into the events and tours and less on vendors or how many you get. People are NOT going to come to your show because of VENDORS because your show is NOT the place for that, not to say you can't make money doing but the point is the buyers come because of the tours and events and when you make those stronger you get more buyers for the vendors.

5) Dates: Put your dates as far as possible from any other show. I hate to say this but Hauntcon was always around the same dates and you kind of invaded that area... you take MHC they are by far the most success regional show and their show is weeks upon weeks later and months and months after TW. I think you should consider in the middle of MHC and Hauntcon not same dates or right on top of Hauntcon.

NHC: Has a lot of potential because of the area and the pure amount of haunts in the area. You need to bone up and market the show better because outside of message boards I didnt' see any ads for this show anywhere. If are you going to promise vendors the stars and the moon you must take those funds and market the show to everyone and anyone you can. Something you need to do a much better job of in the future if you want vendors in droves to support you. On a final note let me say I know its a lot of work to pull these things off and kudos to you but my opinions are just those opinions.

HAUNTCON

1) Hauntcon needs to update their website a lot sooner than this year especially if their show is on the same dates as another show. People make choice not at the last last minute but sometimes months in advance. Dont' wait until you have all the info to update no no update any time you get info. I think Hauntcon cost themselves a lot of business but not updating their site sooner. I had emails asking me 'is Hauntcon happening this year because the site is updated'.

2) I think someone from Hauntcon needs to do what these other shows are doing and keep the haunt community more informed as udpates become available. These message boards are out there for a reason: TO INFORM!!! USE THEM! You have MHC, TW, and these other shows and especially NHC use boards daily to promote and the only one that wasn't really promoted much by the organizing group was Hauntcon. Next year inform us even 10 months out, heck inform us NOW what do you KNOW tell us... we want to know!!!!

3) I think if you followed the two steps listed above you'd have a lot more attendance and vendors which would be better for Hautcon.

In the end I think Hauntcon has a lot of merit because it brings haunters to cities to see haunts they don't normally get to see. Personally I would like to see posts from the owners ASKING US the haunt owners WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO GO... go to the cities most people want to see. I'd like to see a lot more interaction between Hauntcon and the community at large.

When its all said and done I think all of these shows can be great if they realize who they are, and what they can successfully achieve and not try to be something they are not. I think all the shows and events should try harder to put the events up to 4 weeks apart for everyones benefit.

Just my thoughts.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Corey...........

and everybody, thanks for the info on the shows... let's keep it going.........

Comment

Larry, maybe this is just me but (just your opinion) seems to always be very negative towards NHC. I think it was a great show everyone there seemed to have a good time. There were some good classes and even outside of the classes, some great discussion about the industry . I think now that Fright Times is back out there and owned by Rob a lot of people will be subscribing and they'll be able to reach a lot more people with their info. The timing of the two conventions is not the best situation but the NHC is held in a convention center which are much harder to secure, where Hauntcon is at a hotel a little easier to get.

Just my opinion I like the personal friendly feel of the NHC - reminds me of the old school days of TW. Everyone talked very openly and there wasn't the over shadowing of egos everywhere. I think there is room for both and I think they are each going to get their local attendees and some from outside the area.

In closing, enough of the underlying negativity.

Robert

Comment

Nhc was very relaxed and friendly. It was my first con ever and truthfuly I didn't want it to end. I got to meet people like the guys from fright factory(rob) and Todd from fearscape and they were awsome people. Like rob said it was a great time had by all. I wish more people would give this con a chance. Like everything it has it flaws but I think it's potential out weighs those flaws. Pa has a huuuuge haunt community and the con is in a great location, again I ask to give it a chance. I'm a mere pion on this forum so I can't really comment on the negative statments but everyone is entitled to there opinion.

Tim
                        Tim McCall

Comment

Hauntcon was at a convention center as well...I dont see how he was being negative? I wish both nhc and hauntcon had diff dates so I could attend both. Guess everything cant be perfect.

Kale

Comment

more pics

here we go more pics
                            Attached Files
                            Michael Bruner

The National Haunters Convention - OVER 100 vendor booths!
                            Valley Forge, PA
                            http://www.nationalhauntersconvention.com

The Cadavers Cotillion
                            http://www.cadaverscotillion.com

Get behind the scenes tours to the best haunted attractions!
                            http://www.haunttour.com

`

Comment

still yet more
                              Attached Files
                              Michael Bruner

The National Haunters Convention - OVER 100 vendor booths!
                              Valley Forge, PA
                              http://www.nationalhauntersconvention.com

The Cadavers Cotillion
                              http://www.cadaverscotillion.com

Get behind the scenes tours to the best haunted attractions!
                              http://www.haunttour.com

`

Comment

Working...
                              X