Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poo in Haunted Houses

...I don't get it.

I know this is a preference thing as much as anything else. And I suppose I mean no real offense with this: But could someone please explain to me why so many people use poo in haunted houses?

hahahahaha

I guess I'm not really sure why we ended up putting it in ours... It just seemed fitting since it was in a bathroom. I think that some haunts go for intense in your face, others are theatrical, and some just want to gross people out with gore and well... poo!
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Im with frontyardfright

. A bathroom seems to be the right place and people do not like it.

However, we had a homeless guy break into our house, slept there and took a dump in one of our scenes........

Bet you never heard of that one..............

John

Comment

hahahaha. I'm a clown at my haunt I actualy keep fake poo wrapped in a hanky in my back pocket. I ask people if they like icecream. Then I whip out the poo and say " How bout some soft serve!?" poo is fun
        Tim McCall

Comment

Lucky for me I don't think I've seen it in any haunts I've worked or been too. I would rather try to entertain and impress my guests, not gross them out with these types of antics...

DA

Comment

John,

Sorry to hear that, that's nasty!

No poo for me ever in my haunts, but to each their own I guess...

Allan

Comment

To poo or not to poo, that is the question......that is the question?
              This post really stinks. ba-dump-a
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

ROFL what a post but an interesting character.

I think alot of houses go for it because it causes a very visceral reaction.
                now just going and smearing fake poo all over does not a scare make but in the right setting I think it adds alot to the scene in realism. The reaction which is usually shock puts peoples minds out of the logic range which really opens them up for a scare.

How ever for some it could have just the oposite effect. Classify those whom enter your haunt and profile how you think they will react. If you are in a area and most of your clients are fundamentalist or of a higher social standing the idea of poo in a haunt would probally not go over well.

If you are in an area where everyone has that cousin who goes. This smells awful here you smell it. then you are probally ok

Also with this many puns and bad jokes in this thread I feel like we need a drummer doing rim shots.
                Proud to be able to work at
                http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

"Free , Sticky Moustache-disguises!"

From Mr. Tuxedo (spookhouse cat) just reach in the blue box and take one, stick it above your lip, nobody will know you, nobody will WANT to know you! Take two, they're small."
                  "Some people say I don't give a chitt!"
                  One of the first times I did this routinea man maybe 60 (well-dressed) reached in the litter box and took one, held it in his hand , rolled it around a few times and asked, "What exactly is this supposed to be?"
                  "Looks like shit to me!"
                  Of course a case of diarheaa would have shut down "production" and sales would suffer.
                  "MMEERRRR!"
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Soultrkr pretty much hit the nail on the head, It induces a strong reaction.
                    Fear of disease, fear of the unclean, and fear of the smell.
                    The facial expression of disgust (a grimace) is very close to the facial expressions for fear and pain. When we have a facial expression that fits an emotion we are more easily swayed to feel that emotion. Crazy stuff but its true.
                    I dont use it in my shows unless its completely appropriate and unavoidable in the scene. I did a Dante's inferno haunt once and one of the levels of hell Is waist deep waste so to speak. In that room they walked across bodies to get to the other side, as they stepped on the Torsos they screamed, it was fun. Yes, the whole room smelled like poo, as it was in the inferno it was in our haunt. Exhaust fans at the beginning and end of that section pulled air up above the haunt (the hayride actors hated that) but the smell was pretty well contained and never stunk up the park or the rest of the haunt.
                    That was in 01 and I have not used it since.
                    Im not into it.
                    Allen H
                    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I like Allen H's take on it - there's a lot wrapped up in that one little bodily product, haha. If it's used right, in the right place, then the use of poo in itself can reach a near-Cronenbergian height of bodily horror - I might be stretching that a little, but I kinda think it can take on that aura of terror if used right. No one wants to be filthy, and poo in itself is a harbinger of a lot of different bacterias. No one wants to get sick. Just a little bit in a filthy bathroom scene can get the mind reeling...it's the same as if you just stepped in a nasty gas station/department store bathroom that's seen a lot of use in a day, and someone leaves a little (or, in some cases, more than a little) behind somewhere besides the toilet bowl. You're subsceptible to a good scare if you're preoccupied with avoiding what could darn well be unavoidable (going back to Soultrkr's post, as well). The Dante scene sounded magnificent, by the way!

More people use it for comedy than anything...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I loved the sound of the Mr. Tuxedo gag that was mentioned earlier! A real good creative use of waste in a hilarious, yet horrible sense.
                      Larry Johnson,
                      Owner/Operator--Nightmare Hollow Productions

Nightmare Hollow Productions - A BOO-tique of the macabre, the gruesome, and the downright grotesque!

http://nightmarehollowproductions.webs.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/nmhollowproductions
                      http://www.myspace.com/ntmarehollowproductions

Comment

gotta love the poop....

You also gotta love poop smeared on the walls with scent packs in the air too.

It adds another sense into the house and whenever I go to a haunt with a scence like that my friends (the non haunt ones) always freak out about it and their faces are always priceless.

Comment

Interesting... And we wonder why we don't get much respect.

Just curious, would Universal use poop in their haunts or are they above lowering themselves to bottom feeder tactics like that? Maybe they do...?

DA

Comment

They use it Dark
                            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

universal

They do EVERY year. The most memorible was the house psychoscarepe ( spelled that wrong). Awsome scene in a sanitorium full of escaped loons you had to walk through a restroom with stalls and nut jobs flinging poo and spraying toilets. It was awesome!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X