Auction Idea What do you think?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Idea What do you think?????

After attending the awesome auction this past weekend and from a buyer's standpoint seeing things go rather high, I was wondering how much support people would give in this industry if I talked to Norton Auction Company about doing a consignment auction.

We could bring our merchandise to a location and any haunter that has something to get rid of could do it under one roof. It would do several things for us;

Put more things under one roof to both buy and sell. I was thinking maybe around one of the shows.

House of Horror seemed to have an excellent turn out and money was being spent. He didn't need any other participation because he had everything. It would give us an opportunity to sell items and possibly pick up others.

What does everyone think?

I love this idea. Anyone looking to do something like this before this season?

Comment

I guess the only drawback now would be after hearing the success of the NY auction haunters looking to liquidate some of their stuff would like to work with Norton's since they benefit the seller more than the buyers...Want to get as much as you can..

Allan

Comment

I think a better way may be the Hauntcon garage sale way. The seller just rents a table and then you just negotiate with the buyer directly. This way no premiums and no commissions. This could also take place in a shorter time than a regular auction.
        Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

But think about it this way, as a Seller you will get top dollar and standing there as a buyer (wanting something) you will pay what you think it is worth to you at that point in time. So if you sell something there and then buy something you may or may not owe money or get money back. It would almost be like a trade off.

The whole point of an auction is to raise capital. So why wouldn't you want to do that as a Seller and in turn watch your bidding as a buyer?

Just my take on things. I have been going to large and small auction for years. Myself I have gotten caught up in the bidding and paid to much for something. Live and learn.

I think it would be a awesome idea say end of November when we all have money, before any shows, and it's still fresh for us to get rid of something we would not be using in the next year.

Comment

And the centralised location would be...?

Mount Carroll, Ill.!..which also happens to be the location of The Ravens Grin Inn!
            hahahahaha!
            3 hrs due west of Chicago, 10 miles from Iowa, 35 miles from Wisconsin.
            Instead of the nonsense sounds some auctioneers fill in with between actual words a haunted auctioneer could be growling and groaning maybe swearing under his breath, this would be entertaining, wouldn't it?
            I could do that! I do it already! I can't stop doing it!
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

LOL Jim, and I will be contacting you to set up a tour of your haunt when we are all done with the auction.

Now remember, we will all be out of money so it will have to be discounted door rates......LOL

No seriously, I just called Norton but David left for the day. I will talk to him tomorrow. I don't have much to sell except for a crap load of store stuff but thought this would be a cool way to unload and reload on goods.

Comment

Spookhaven, just remember the costs necessary. While it apears the seller got big bucks, you get the entire amount. Norton's get's their cut right off the top. Then if you are using a central location you would have a large shipping cost. Then you have the cost of attending, transportation, lodging, meals.... expenses add up quick.

Connection with a show is the best option as people will already be attending. The smaller regional shows would be the better fit. TW is a trade show so the focus is on the vendors and their product. Selling used props defeats the purpose of them being there and takes money out of their pockets. No vendor would support the sales of used props at their show.

The focus of the regional shows is more towards to attendees than the vendors. Also with a regional show it would be easier for attendees to bring their used props and take their newly aquired treasures back with them. HC has had it's Garage Sale for awhile now. Since I've never attended I can't vouch for the participation in it. I am sure HC doen't promote it as much because of the possibilty of upstting vendors.

Solution might be to organize it separate from the show but timed to coinside with it. There will be costs for promotion, location and operation, so maybe someone might find it worth the effort.
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I actually have thought about the fact a consignment auction or sale might be a great idea at regional shows as well. You have a built in audience already. Some other industries already do things like this at conventions (not trade shows).

I would be against having it at TW, since it would be undermining the vendors who are paying a lot to show us their product. I agree the regional shows would be a good place to think about something like this. With regional shows, hopefully product transport is easier, and it's not a vendor show (even if vendors are present).

Transport costs of large products are still the biggest impediment in my mind, although people already work around that.
                  sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

How big of a space would you need? I am a newbie haunter and am a part of a fire company with a fire hall. I might be able to get it no cost for you. We are in Central PA.
                    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

I am 1 minunte off of i-75, between dayton and cinci in ohio.
                      I have a 10,000 sqft empty warehouse- Loading docks and plenty of parking.
                      i'd be interested in hosting.

pm me if this is of any interest.

I like the idea of a Haunt Swap-
                      -Bill
                      Last edited by supermatic; 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM.
                      http://www.springborohauntedhayride.com/links.html

Comment

Bill:

I got sidetracked with the season. Didn't get a response from Norton about this. I will have to try to call them again. Will let you know. H

Comment

Working...
                        X