Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks Great!
    I noticed you are using wood 2x4's and OSB in a non
    cumbustible building. Did you check with the fire marshal? I know you can sometimes set up a temporary haunt and get away with it. But if its permanent they might require steel studs and such.

Thanks

Comment

AMAZING new attraction. I especially love the logo. The "Ticket Pods" are cool too!

I was also gonna comment on your panels. Are the OSB boards on 2x2 frames? Yours look slightly thinner than traditional haunt panels.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!!!
      O'Shawn McClendon
      Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Our panels are 2x2x8 frames with half inch OSB on them. Previously approved by our fire marshall. They requested a special Emergency exit system, however. We basically have a parameter hallway around the whole event as well as center halls between each section that all of our E-doors push out to. These halls all exit to a exterior fire exit and are properly lit at all times. I thought it would be a pain at first, but has proven to be quite efficiant in getting around our haunt
        "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
        Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
        Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

I received a couple PM's regarding our furnace in the basement scene. We do not purchase vacuform panels. Although I would LOVE to, we just cannot afford it for our first year. The furnace was actually a wooden crate that something was shipped in, and we picked it up outside of a dumpster. We cut the drop panel door in it and trimmed it out.

Onto the bricks. I have a big pet peve when you are in a haunt and walk close to a practical prop or peice, and touch that peice... it should feel real. Now after going to a convention or two, your first thought would be to go with vacuform which is a great choice, but can get kind of pricey.

Here is what we do....

Go to your hardware store or Habitat Re Store (if you have those, they are amazing. A thrift store for building materials!!!) and purchase a cheep 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud and various sized mud spatulas.

Apply the mud quite heavy in the form of bricks. Once dry, paint the entire surface the desired color of your brick. When that drys - paint in the grout to your desired color. be sure to water down the grout paint. It should be a bit thicker than milk consistancy. This will help you get cleaner, smoother looking lines. From there, if you are feeling artsy you can go in and add low lights and highlights to each brick.

Easy distressing: Walmart sells colorplace BLACK cheap ass paint for like 80 cents a can. You can buy a case for less than 20 bucks and it will last you all season. This stuff will not cover anything solid - lets face it. you get what you pay for...but thats why you got it. Its cheap! It works fantastic for hitting the edges of props. costumes, etc for a darkened old distressed look.

Now when your customers touch your pillars, furnaces, or exposed brick showing through wallpaper - it will appear to be real brick, for a lot cheaper than the other routes.

I hope that helped.

-Erick

Erick James Gyrion
          Menasha, Wisconsin

Comment

Love what your doing! Would have never guessed what your budget was after seeing those sets!

Comment

Looks great. You look like your doing very well with the budget.
              Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

eric,

Become a fan of Halloween Room and post something so I can find you. I looked for Hours, Do you know how many Erick James there are? LOL I would love to sit down and talk with you.
                http://www.HALLOWEENROOM.com
                sigpic
                "We bring you the WHO WHAT AND WHERE of the industry we all love"

www.InsideThe HauntIndustry.com

Comment

let me know when you get some t-shirts printed

probably want to pick up a few... thanks! .. good luck guys!

Comment

Amazing

That is truly amazing work. From the photos you would think your spending a fortune.

Comment

these guys got it figured out

they're in business to make money and will with their frugal ways and commitment. I salute you and your sharing of your thrifty ideas to help other haunters in this economy and high risk (fun) business. Looking forward to more ideas thru photos and other information you have to offer. Thank you so much for your posts. Wishing you all only the best.

Comment

we will have our t-shirts printed this summer hopefully. We are doing 2 versions. A classic horror style t and then a funny shirt with our 'humor slogan' and logo. "Don't scare me please...I poop easily."

Erick James Gyrion
                        Menasha, Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by OblivionHauntedHouse View Post
                          we will have our t-shirts printed this summer hopefully. We are doing 2 versions. A classic horror style t and then a funny shirt with our 'humor slogan' and logo. "Don't scare me please...I poop easily."

LOL! Is that REALLY the 'humor slogan'? If so I definitely wanna order one! What color(s) do they come in?
                          John Elks - Staff

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

poop brown

optional color .... one size fits new jersey

Comment

Erick,
                              Looking FABULOUS! I love the awesome look on a cheap budget!
                              Keep up the good work and keep updating us!

Take care!

Kirk
                              Kirk Boemmel
                              Dark Ghost Manor
                              www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newhorror2010 View Post
                                LOL! Is that REALLY the 'humor slogan'? If so I definitely wanna order one! What color(s) do they come in?
                                Yes. It is our 'Humor Slogan' this first year. Havent decided on color yet. Would love some input! Does anyone know of the company who prints the whole shirt? Similar to the Darkness ones from the TW haunt tour sale?

Erick

Erick James Gyrion
                                Menasha, Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                                X