No announcement yet.

Projection Design for your Facade/Attraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe it or not, this is accomplished with one projector / one setup. The only reason you would use more then one projector is to increase the brightness (but they would be overlapping projections) or to span a large wide area. I hope that makes sense. Right now I am working with my motion graphics artists to see what we can come up with price wise.

Your absolutely right that each clients needs and equipment will be different. For instance, if a client had an indoor space that they wanted to create a show in, a projector could be selected with a matching lens to fit that room perfectly. No need to overkill it with a Barco projector. We will be working on a more detailed scale model soon. We will stay away from cartoony effects and try for more realistic effects. I think it will ultimately find its place in doors, in pre-shows or queue areas.

Outside building projections would need a higher lumen projector (expense) and are always pointed head on (on plane) with the building, which will not always be feasible for each attraction.

The second example demonstrated is clearly in the tens of thousands to produce. The 3D animation, Barco projectors, sound system, and the media servers that deliver the content. Obviously out of budget for most haunts, so we hope to come up with effects and prices that can be customized for any size budget.
    Thanks R&J for your insight!
    Best,
    Bill Rod.
    Bill Rod.
    Dark Tech Effects
    Automated DMX Lighting
    Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Are they actually projecting onto a building or is it a canvas of some type? What color is it projecting onto might matter as well. Looks like the screen or building disapears with the background darkness..................

Comment

They are projecting directly onto a building... no screen or canvas. The lighter the building the more the images will pop, but I have seen this done in person on a dark interior set and it was just as effective... If you look close enough when there is no projection you can see the building.
        Bill Rod.
        Dark Tech Effects
        Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

I agree with Peter, maybe you could focus on some cool effects that could be used inside the haunt. That would hopefully keep the projector cost lower and if you could create and sell an effect several times it also help bring down the cost!

I figured the News Years effect was in the thousands!!! It was pretty long and involved. But a simpler, shorter effect like you said Bill, focusing on the realistic,could be quite impressive!!! But this is definately a project for someone who knows what they are doing! If I'd tried it myself, it would probably have to work UP to looking cartoony!!!

So a good question to haunters would be what type of effects could be best utilized with this technology. Things that would be either cost prohibitive or impossible to do practical??? Effects that would have the broadest appeal. Let's give Bill something to work with!! What would be cool and usuable???
          R&J Productions
          Las Vegas, NV
          www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I would like to see walls of rushing water or sparks coming at the people. Taking something that would normally be dangerous, if you used fire but since its just a projector it would be ok. People walking on a bridge looking down and it looks sooooo far down. Or see water under them with huge fish or monster swooshing by. The possibilities are endless.
            Fables Studios
            Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
            https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

All good ideas... I will try to work on something for interior projection and see where it goes, thanks!
              Bill Rod.
              Dark Tech Effects
              Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

This is Awesome, but i have a feeling that all the hours that go into pulling something off would make this idea untouchable to all but a few haunters price wise. I would think that it would have to be custom to each object you shine it on. Either way I love the concept and my mind is already thinking of what i could use this application in. Great work!
                http://www.HALLOWEENROOM.com
                sigpic
                "We bring you the WHO WHAT AND WHERE of the industry we all love"

www.InsideThe HauntIndustry.com

Comment

I think you need to look at the ghost bust, that uses this same idea and come up with something that can be placed into a scene in the haunt. that way it dosen't have to be customized for each individual haunt. it could even be a large set piece like a building that is projected to be on fire. or something like that.

also Netherworld projects on their building.

Comment

I love this! This has a whole lot of potential! I do however agree with the posts people replied. To do something custom can get really expensive and the projectors can cost a lot. To get over this problem I believe you should have pre-made 3d effect videos for a facade, and include a detailed plan on building a facade that will correspond with the video. the facade should probably not be over 20 feet long, by 16 feet high to save on the cost of the projector, and materials for the facade. Even if this is not used as a main facade it can look cool in the background of anywhere. You can get cool looking dilapidated small buildings and cabins without all the time spent to paint things really detailed. You can even make projected rooms, with detailed plans to make false furniture to have texture projected on, could have a wall break away and a creature come out or something, a vortex sucking everything in, just hook a fan up or something to add to the effect too. Maybe cracks in the walls with bugs crawling out. I just think there is alot of potential for this and if this stuff comes out i am a potential buyer if the price is right!

Someone was saying something about the projector having to be head on? ......Couldn't you have your video tweaked so you can project it at any angel..... its done with 3d animation you can set the degrees in the editing software. Or am I nuts?

Frank Balzer
                    FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
                    www.RotHauntedHouse.com
                    -----------------------------------
                    www.R-Fx.com
                    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM.
                    Frank W. Balzer
                    FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
                    http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    www.RotHauntedHouse.com
                    www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

Hey Frank,
                      Neat idea about making a stock animation but we still feel creating stock animations just wont fit our customers needs. If I make a hospital theme one, people with a Victorian theme can't use it, if I make a Victorian theme, a 3D Clown theme can't use it, and we keep going around...

At this point I like the idea of making one that would fit certain facade dimensions, but I feel like most clients would not build an exterior or interior facade just for this effect. Right now I am working on some interior scale models and effects. As soon as I have something that I feel is more polished I will share it! Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas.
                      Best,
                      Bill Rod.
                      Dark Tech Effects
                      Bill Rod.
                      Dark Tech Effects
                      Automated DMX Lighting

Comment

Working...
                      X