Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Marshal Testing

Tongue,
    Our fire marshal requires us to provide 4'X4' sample wall panels made up like we want to use for his burn test. They stand 2 panels up against each other at a 90 degree angle, and then put a knee high stack of hay up against the corner formed by the two panels. They light it and leave it burning for 5 minutes. When they pull the flame away, if the flame on the wall panel goes out, then it passed. If it keeps burning, then it fails.

The panels we submitted with black intumescent paint would not burn, but the vacuform treated with fire retardant paint did. Ben, we are checking into the product that you recommended-Thanks.

The problem with this test is that it is very subjective. There is no specific way that the fire marshals test you. They have total jurisdiction, and if they don't want you to open your doors, then they can set the test up to be harder. We asked our local fire marshal to get involved, because we wanted to set a good example for the haunt industry. However, the first words out of his mouth was that he did not like haunted houses!!!

Our backup plan (if vacuform didn't work) was to use carve foamed, like in the facade at the Darkness, but we are having a hard time finding a local hardcoater. Obviously, the only way we can use the foam is if it is hardcoated properly. Who else uses hard coated foam in their haunt, and how did you hard coat it??? I want to hard coat some panels and submit to the fire marshal for the next round of testing for a couple of our rooms, but I have to find someone to coat it first.

Suggestions???
    Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
    www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

hardcoating foam is not so difficult.
      There are ALL manner of methods and materials.
      And tons of companies who make hardcoating materials.

Epoxy, urethanes, gunite, water based systems, etc...
      Many application methods, from hopper guns to hand application.

The important thing is to make sure you make the hard coats thick enough.
      I think that is usually where people fail. They try to skimp and then it backfires on them.

I like using gunite, only if you know it will be permanent. It is used alot for custom pools, and they have to do it super thick.

But don't be afraid of it. Just learn as much as you can about it before you try to do it.
      Kevin R. Alvey
      info at gore-galore.com
      www.gore-galore.com
      www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
      www.youtube.com/goregalore13
      www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Dewayne

Give me a call! Shane and its you got my number! Shane this time!
        sigpic

Comment

Shiitzzo

Damn... you Fire Marshall is tough! Is he a volunteer...could be kickback syndrome.(Not Joking)
          What doesn't catch on fire? Go do that test at the fire station to their walls.
          Do you know the cert that has you tent material over a bail of hay? Like to know?
          I am going to ask around I have tons of firemen in my home base fitness business and my sister is really high up. Just curious where that burn test came from. Does any one else have that drastic of a test?

Comment

The fire marshall in question is a State of Georgia fire marshall. He is one of the authors of the Georgia State Fire Code. He was brought in by the county fire marshall because the county guy did not want to take responsibility for a haunt as he had never dealt with one before.
            Last edited by MindWerxKMG; 06-27-2010, 04:09 AM.
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Working...
            X