Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Television set question (not advertising)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television set question (not advertising)

I know that a lot of haunts use many different types of televisions/projectors to display their videos either for people in line, or to display videos to precede their haunt.
    Our video this year ties directly into the start of our haunt. The video will be displayed in a new building for 2010... the back-story is... The building (which I'll post build pics when its finished) is an industrial building dated to the 1890s, and it was decommissioned in the 1960s (give or take) and has been re-opened for the scenario of our haunt.
    To display our videos, should we use vintage style televisions (which would've been used when the building was theoretically open)? Or, should we use hi-def televisions and build the frames to try to replicate the time period?
    Personally, to stay true to the story and the realism of what we're trying to convey, tube tvs would be the medium to use. However, kids and young adults demand hi definition and quality... I mean, who still goes to the bar that has tube tvs to watch the game?
    Any thoughts?
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

I like the idea of HiDef with a custom frame.. I'd say any as long as the tv works well through your run.. might have equipment problems with an older tv.
    missjayne
    Netherworld Haunted Attractions
    http://www.fearworld.com/

Comment

I like the older tvs

Because 1) they don't cost much
      2)a tv is a tv-to me.
      3)I can turn it off and on again (cutting it's 120 volts)without having to reprogram it.
      How many hours of our lives do we spend in reprograming mode for something?
      Actually if you had a very old , working tv I think the audience would be absolutely amazed from seeing the tiny black & white fuzzy picture, infact it might even scare them! (Give them nightmares too!)
      Imagine working for only $2,500 a year and then spending $800 for a tv and another $200 for the antenna/installation?
      (My Dad installed antennas in the early 1950's.)
      Most tvs around here at that time only barely got one channel.
      SCARY STUFF! (Educational too!)
      Appreciate "Today".
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

maybe something like this??

http://www.oldtimecomputer.com/oldti.../desktops.html

Love this guys stuff.

Peter T
        FS
        Fables Studios
        Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
        https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Next Week

He wil come out with the "Tee-Pee" model -buffalo skin trim, genuine bone surfaced keys, tanned hide screen, a few feathers highlighting the edges.
          Sort of like my backyard "Sitting Bull " Harley golf cart which could have turned the tide during the Calvary/indian wars if only it could have gotten into full production!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

My recommendation would be to use new displays and components and age them to look like the appropriate time period. Using real vintage TVs could lead to a headache with keeping them in working order. Through creative editing and filming you should be able to age your pre-show video to look like any time period. Besides with new displays you could hook up a digital video repeater that way you wont have to worry about a cheap dvd player going on you mid-season. Also check out "commercial monitors / LCD displays" as I have gotten them cheaper then actual TVs since there is no tuner inside (which you wont need anyway if your playing a prerecorded video) and they are made to be used in commercial installations like this.

Best of luck! If you need any assistance with video repeaters let us know!
            Bill Rod.
            Dark Tech Effects
            www.darktecheffects.com
            Bill Rod.
            Dark Tech Effects
            Automated DMX Lighting
            Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

sweet ideas all around

I like the skinned monitors and old-time keyboards... but 900 bucks? wow. I drove to a haunt last season, and they placed their projector inside of a box on the ceiling, then they placed rot cloth around the opening of the hole from the projector box... which eliminated hard edges around the screen... well done. But... I was probably one of the only people who noticed.
              Patrick Barberry
              www.legendsofthefog.com
              sigpic

Comment

Fog,

Old is the new new as far as haunting goes. I love to see older components used in a scene when possible.

So much more authentic in my estimation.

Just my 2...

Tom.
                www.HauntedOverload.com

Comment

Realism

Realism is what matters, you cant sell an idea if it doesent seem real. The antique is the way to go. Yard Sales and Flea Markets are where you will find these.
                  Owner & Host - Flatline Radio
                  "Keeping our fingers on the absent pulse of the Haunt Industry."
                  sigpic
                  flatlineradio.podomatic.com

Comment

Im not an expert on tvs...but if it were possible to cut the back of the tube off say an old console tv without it exploding, you could easily fit a slightly bigger HD flat tv/monitor on the inside, add a little distressing to the lens, and youd still have the old concave look, but without the possible technical problems, and with a slightly better picture. Just keep in mind box vs screen size as most tvs now are widescreen so youd have to make sure it wasnt cropping anything you wanted. Probably just as much work as making a new one look old in something like a wooden box with molding. Put distressed plexi over the screen to make it look older....couple ideas at least...

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

While I like the idea Mike...

Removing the tube can be extremely hazardous, due to the vacuum that allows it to function and causes the potential for implosions.

Be particularly wary if ever attempting this and you can't find a sticker detailing the integral implosion protection, or you will probably end up not having to wear a mask to scare people!!
                      I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Comment

yeah...as i disclaimed...not an expert on tvs...lol. I know they are pressurized but didnt know if there was a way to do it....in that case, I dont recommend trying that particular idea...lol.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Working...
                        X