No announcement yet.

Floor Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a nice Triangular Grid program at http://www.boopack.com/software.html . It also works for 90 degree layouts as well.

Comment

90 degrees would see customers complaining because of the heat.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Not only is having a defined floor plan layout handy for the fire marshal and building inspector, but we submitted them to prospective insurance carriers to show them our safety conscience planning. And it was also a great marketing tool for negotiating with our primary investors. It adds a great amount of confidence for the money people to see a well thought out project laid out in front of them.
        http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

Do you move every year?

Just curious, Do you move every year? Your haunts change shape and layout alot. How do you show your investors the layout without knowing what building you will use. How do you get the building without money from your investors? Just curious, if you do move every year, how do you do the electrical for your haunt with temporary locations? Sorry, I am just picking your brain..... I just feel like I must be missing a step of how your are doing it.
          "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
          - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

The castle plan was one of those “If you had unlimited funds, what would you do?” concepts. But the other two were our plans from 2005 and our plan for this coming season. I did not run across the 2006 plans, but they all use the identical floor space since we have had the same building for three years. Two years before moving to this location, we bought the contents of an existing haunt from a neighboring state, so we had a definite theme to work toward. The fellow we lease from was kind enough to allow us access to the building before we signed a contract so that we could get the local building inspector and fire marshal in ahead of time to give us the verdict on what had to be done to open a haunt. Within two weeks I had the initial floor plan drawn up, approved, and we signed a short term lease. Since we had the location, almost all of the props needed, an explicit plan, and the experience behind us from operating a trail haunt for a few years before this move, we had no trouble convincing our investor to take the plunge along with us. After our first season we signed a long term lease for a lower price and we hope to stay there for many years to come.

Comment

So you have the building year round?
              Greg Salyers
              Fear Entertainment

Comment

Yes, we do. It gives us the advantage in working on it through out the year, plus it is a two story building so we could eliminate the rental of a warehouse by moving all of our excess props there. And another good reason is that we have location recognition since we have a billboard size sign on it, and the facade stays decorated year round. Our haunt is in a very busy section of town that hosts a variety of summer activities, and eventually we want to get to the point that we open periodically during the year for special events.

Comment

Gadget Said: It's not many people that would actually put up there floor plans, hell, I havne't seen anyone else do it before. I am going to have to get the ones from our haunt into the computer and put them up. Infortunately I can't scan them because they are size d paper. And there are 4 of them for each year. I better get to redrawing them in the computer.

So Brian, did you ever get around to converting your plans so we can see them?

Comment

nah, not yet. Maybe after hauntcon I will try.
                    Brian Warner
                    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Speaking of floor plans....

Hi, Everybody,

With this being my first year doing a pro haunt, I was wondering what passage way widths work best for effect and effectively moving your patrons through the haunt without any bottlenecks occurring. With some being too narrow, people at the end of the line can't really see what's happening up front. The confining of people in a small space obviously adds to the overall fear factor but where is that happy medium?

Steve....
                      UptownHaunts@aol.com

"Follow the Bloody Brick Road to Nightmare Village"

Comment

Steve,

the rule of thumb, at least for me, is four feet or just shy of that. I do this for several reasons. One is that it keeps the Fire Marshall happy. The other is that not everyone is of average size. Let's face it, in our small industry alone, there are quite a few of us who are of large frame -- I am one of them. I therefore like to make sure there is enough room for everyone to pass without feeling singled out.

At Transworld's Fronzen Tundra Tour, I toured one haunt that had two sections that were so tight, I had to walk sideways. When I yelled out to the crew member giving us the tour that I was a Big Mamma and would I be able to squeeze through, he told me while I was in the midst of the tiny section that they also have a wheelchair route to get around that spot. Well, that's just it, you see. I'm not disabled, so why should I be forced to seperate myself from my group and take a wheelchair exit? In my opinion, there are other ways of making customers feel uncomfortable.

Good Luck with your first season, Steve!

Comment

In one very narrow passageway(that there is another way around) some people would ask loudly, "How does a BIG person make it through here?"
                          Upon hearing their cue one of my larger helpers in October says, "Like this!" as they run with both arms straight above their heads and pass through very quickly! (Very funny to watch!)
                          Those 90 degree corners create anticipation and opportunitys to scare.
                          I like the right side of people coming to such a spot since most people are right -handed and to punch me would then require an aukward across the body , foreshoertened swing of their left fist.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                          X