Mobile Dark Ride Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Dark Ride Question

Since we are unable to do a haunt this year, I was going to create a mobile dark ride to take around to different locations. This would be a motion simulator ride in an enclosed trailer. My question is: has anyone had any experience with such a ride and what permits or regulations are there to operate legally? I would like to charge admission to this ride. I’d make it donations only if I had to. The ride would be about five minutes long and I was thinking of charging 3 to 5 dollars. This would be a way to earn a little money plus get our name out there for next year. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Scary Studios

I think that would be a cool alternative for you this year....If nothing else like you say it gets your name out there.

What is this ride like? You say it is a motion simulated ride. How many people can be in the ride at one time?

My only concern for you is when I think of several of the haunts that used the coffin ride, they expressed having a difficult time getting people to pay extra to ride. It sounded as though some had to give away free tickets with vip passes to the haunt just to get people to ride the coffin.

In your case the ride is your only attraction.

I think if the ride was set up to accomadate for several people at one time would make people more likely to want to try it.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

More Info.

The motion simulator ride holds 6 to 8 people at a time. It is on air bags and runs a program that includes multiple lighting, sound, fog, and mechanical effects.

Comment

Hey Mike,
        Might be a great idea - BUT - I would suggest loosing the word "ride" in descriptions and marketing.

That sets off all kinds of red flags that you don’t want. Landlords will require additional insurance coverage because of the “ride”, new authorities may become involved in licensing and inspection of the “ride”, your own insurance company may balk when they see the word…

Might be best to use another description.
        From the school of hard knocks,
        Karl
        http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

Originally posted by backstagemike View Post
          The motion simulator ride holds 6 to 8 people at a time. It is on air bags and runs a program that includes multiple lighting, sound, fog, and mechanical effects.
          where would you find this?

karl, what would you call it then?

Comment

"where would you find this?"

I built it. I used this "ride" as the start to my home haunt last year. People really enjoyed it. I had plans on building a second and using them as the start to a commercial haunt, but the funding isn't there yet.

Comment

I don't know, maybe a haunted simulator on official descriptions. The Dark Hole or some catchy thing on ads.

The word 'ride' is just something you don't want to deal with. Kind of like describing your haunt as a winding 'maze' to the fire marshall. Some key words can trigger unanticipated responses from the official folks.

karl, what would you call it then?
              http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

You might call it a haunting experiance, or a simulator, or 4-d theater seems to be big right now.

I love the idea, would like to see it in action. Do you sync up a movie to the motion?

You need to get to IAAPA to see what the big boys are doing, and ask Larry, heck he's built a few dark rides!
                Ed Roberts
                Founder
                The Nightmare Factory
                www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
                www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

Backstage,

do you have pictures or a website of your built attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                    Backstage,

do you have pictures or a website of your built attraction?
                    The best I have right now is a video we did. The "ride" is seen in the beginning of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5oNJZEQYA. I would improve it for this year if we decide to make it mobile.

Comment

Working...
                    X