Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious - Fire Treated Lumber

Greetings Boils and Ghouls....

Just a curious question about fire treated wood.... I know it falls uopn the fire marshals shoulders and each is a bit different than the next but, a friend of mine showed me their truck load of pink colored fire treated lumber today and I thought "Is this what its come to today ?" I mean this isnt painted with fire resistant paint, its fire treated lumber "CLASS A" to be exact. Now, I havent had as much experience as many of you but with the few years Ive played the game with the fire marshal - fire resistant paint was acceptable. They tell me they must ALSO paint the wood with fire resistant paint.... ( HUH ? )

I know everyone does "whatever" the fire marshal says ( For he is the boss ) but Im curious and must ask - Are most of you using this fire treated lumber these days ? What ever happened to fire resistant paint ?

I guess this is something vendors have to think about if dealing with lumber.... Or are they already using this double protection ??

Just Curious...
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Its new to me.

I wonder if it's sawdust is toxic ?
    Does it come in framing lumber and/or 4 by 8 sheets?
    Special screws for it?
    I'm heade toward a lumber yard anyway, I'll ask and see what they know about it.
    (If anything?)
    Wood is quicker than concrete, bricks and steel but I have used more of those three over the last 10 years.

Google says it's been around since 1981.
    Last edited by Jim Warfield; 06-25-2010, 07:36 PM.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What IS that burning sensation anyway ?

Remember in elementary school you were told that in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file from smallest to tallest? What is the logic in that? What, do tall people burn slower ?

seems like this logic continues....
      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
      www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Fire treated lumber

We originally began building our walls with ordinary plywood, with intentions to coat them with intumescent paint before decorating. However, after the initial walk through with the fire marshal, we have only bought fire treated plywood to build the rest of the haunt with.

Our fire marshal stated that he would prefer fire treated plywood, and since he has stated that he does not like haunted houses, we gave in on this one area, with the hope that he will be a little more cooperative in other areas.
        Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
        Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
        www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

How much does it cost?

per ft.? Per sheet?
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Dewayne correct me if I am wrong. I believe we are paying around $28 per 4x8x1/2" plywood. We do not have to use treated framing.
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Dewayne,

Your fire Marshall sounds like a royal pain in the arse... Damn he sounds like a power drunk nit-picker. Fire marshalls like him ruin it for the rest that realize we are trying to build fun and safe shows not hurt people these guys target haunts but I doubt they treat other businesses like this....

DA

Comment

Shnaggens

I was at a Make and Take today with the floridahaunters.com and a freind was told by the FM that last year a national law was passed and that all haunted attractions had to have a spinkler system no matter the size. Thats BS anything under 1,000 sq. feet does not need to have a sprinker system, thats why carnival dark rides and fun houses are so small. these guys are GOD when it comes to what will and what will not open and that is just WRONG! There should be a set of rules that are spelled out and if you do it to the book these jack asses should not be able to say a damn thing about it. Hay HHA theres something you can work on that will help out everyone.
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

I doubt there's little the HHA can do the FM's on the local level coulndnt care less what the HHA puts out they do what they want to do and showing them something from a haunt association might make them more defiant...

DA

Comment

I hear ya, its just not right! Didn't uptown haunts once post that the FM told him his walls had to be metal?
                    Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    I doubt there's little the HHA can do the FM's on the local level coulndnt care less what the HHA puts out they do what they want to do and showing them something from a haunt association might make them more defiant...

DA

Comment

Fire Codes

Fire Marshals work off of what is called a life safety code. These codes are put out by an organization called the NFPA (national fire protection association). The city your are in can choose to adopt the new standards or not. Regardless if they adopt the entire code they still must work off of what they have always had in place. I have not heard of any new changes as far as sprinkled buildings are concerned. I do know nfpa has a minmum standard at which buildings must be sprinkled (maybe 5000sqft) i would have to look up the standard so that is probably not correct. You are correct in the statement about the hha helping out fire marshals do not have to abide by what anyone says other than the standards to which they work(NFPA). The building we have is sprinkled and was prior to the purchase. We are very lucky in this case plus we have a good relationship with our fire marshal. It also makes it a bit easier on us due to the fact i work in the fire service and know what is compliant and not. Haunted attrations fall under a unique standard which is classified as an amusement attraction so there for they can be a bit more strict on these. I do not have an issue with life safety codes being enforced due to the fact i am on the end that when something bad happens i get the call to mitigate it. Sprinklers are a good thing, check the minimum square foot , that is the standard. I am intrigued by the fire treated lumber, i have never seen it. Where do you get it from and i bet it is costly. We just use a fire retardent spray and that works just fine and the fire marshal is ok with it. Regardless if they like them or not they are still bound by the codes, opinions and feelings do not apply. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

Brian

Comment

But thats just it, it would seem that some (not all) FMs use their opinions and feelings and when they do there should be recorse.
                        Originally posted by Atrox Freak View Post
                        Regardless if they like them or not they are still bound by the codes, opinions and feelings do not apply.

Brian

Comment

Fire marshal

I agree with your statement. The recorse I guess would be to ask them to show you the code to which they are refering to.
                          Last edited by Atrox Freak; 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Fire Marshals

I guess that why its good to have a attorney... I know some have had to call the lawyer to straighten some of these issues out.

Im sure it will get more strict each as each year ends... it will eventually hit home with all vendors as well.... I think some vendors paint wood they use for animatronics with flame retardant paint additives... I cant imagine what it will be like in 10 years time, maybe each animatronic will have to have its own sprinkler system ?? ( LOL )

~ GOOD TIMES ~

Malicious Studios
                            www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Personal Sprinkler System

Or perhaps.... each customer will have their OWN PERSONAL SPRINKLER SYSTEM ??

( Pull this rope for water ) GUUUUUSHHH !!

wow.... somebody better get started on that idea right away !!
                              LOL
                              maybe customer straps it on like some sort of a vest with pipe extending upward above their head with shower head attachment pointed down... LOL

Or they could have their own personal Organ Grinder Monkeys... train him to dump water on their heads in case of emergency...

OR PEE ON THEM IF NECESSARY.... ( eeew )

ROFL

What are you doing up there lil guy ?? ( ~ SPLAAAASHHH !! ~ )

Malicious Studios
                              www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Working...
                              X