X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIRROR WITH NO REFLECTION?

Hi everyone,

I received the following e-mail from a potential customer:

"I need a special effects mirror for a vampire's ball that has the illusion of no reflection."

I could recommend a Gorilla-Girl illusion (aka, Pepper's Ghost) but that effect would still cast a reflection and not really achieve the effect they want. Or, they could create an elaborate set where there is no actual mirror in the frame and design a secondary "room" on the other side of the frame that would be a "mirror image" of the main room.

Any suggestions?
    The Haunter's Depot
    www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

Roy,
    This will be an interesting thread to watch for ideas!
    Sorry I can't help you
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
    www.HauntForum.com
    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

I just received another e-mail from my potential customer with the following:

"This is for a sophisticated Halloween party with a vampire theme. In the venue, there exists a wall with 6 mirrors with arc like frames. We want to build no-reflection mirrors to replace every other mirror along this wall."

If this were presented either on a stage or in a small room in a haunted house I know of a method that could work. But this would require strict control over those who are viewing the effect. Instead, tey are talking about staging this in an area where people are walking around the room at a party.

Any suggestions?
      The Haunter's Depot
      www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

Comment

ehhh uhhhhhh ummmmm
        super hi res photos taken from perspective of "mirror"

That would be my guess. Are they also wanting elphants and dancing bears on cue lead by Elvis while you are at it?
        http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
        Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
        When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
        If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

A high-resolution photograph was one of the first things that I thought of as well.... but VERY expensive! But there will be people walking all around the room during the party so the vampires would not be the only ones without a reflection.
          The Haunter's Depot
          www.HauntersDepot.com

Comment

I am by no means technically inclined, but could you do something with a video recording of the room pre-party (i.e. decorated the same as when the party is taking place) and maybe cover the existing mirrors with something, then project the visual onto them on a looped feed?

Just a thought...most likely not a good one. LOL.
            www.mindseizure.com
            www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Originally posted by HauntVentFX
              A high-resolution photograph was one of the first things that I thought of as well.... but VERY expensive! But there will be people walking all around the room during the party so the vampires would not be the only ones without a reflection.
              Hmmm so you wanting only "select" people to not reflect.

SOOOOO do the bears have top hats and canes?
              http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
              Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
              When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
              If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

Yeah, I'm afraid that you're talking about something that, at the very least, would be outrageously expensive and probably even then not be possible. To reflect some people and not others would be to actually create a mirror that is actually magical. I don't mean to be overly skeptical, but I just don't see how you could pull that off. If they would allow you to only reflect the room and none of the people...I think the projected image of the room pre-party would be a really good solution to the problem. Good luck and if you actually come up with a way to pull this off I bow to your superior special effects abilities.
                Kip Polley
                www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                We Engineer Fear

Comment

Actually, there are a few ways (in the magic profession) whereby I could simulate exactly what they want, only in this particular venue with people walking around the room the effects that I am thinking about would simply not work.

The effects that I have in mind would only work in a small area such as a typical room within a haunted house or on a stage whereby the audience can only look at what's going on from a "controlled" perspective. There are variations of the Pepper's Ghost illusion (aka, Gorilla Girl, Blue Room, etc.) that might work, but they, too, will not be cheap!

Although the projected image is a good idea, it would not work in this venue either since only those portraying the parts of the vampires would not cast a reflection and since everyone at the party would be passing by the mirrored area then they, too, would not cast a reflection.

OK, let's keep thinking.... There has got to be a way to do this!
                  The Haunter's Depot
                  www.HauntersDepot.com

Comment

Hey Roy,

The problem here is not only cost, and the size of the
                    room, but the fact that in a party environment it would
                    have to hold up to more than casual scrutiny. The easiest
                    way to pull this off (as I am sure from your previous posts
                    you already know) is to put clear glass in the frame and
                    duplicate the room behind the glass. With the proper
                    lighting, the viewer disappears (or, with a slight change
                    in lighting, becomes spectral). This method, of course,
                    does not reflect anyone, and would probably not be
                    very effective in the environment you are describing.

You are asking for the holy grail, and if anyone has
                    any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Dave
                    Lords of Chaos, LLC
                    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Ok, I was discussing this with someone at my day job - trying to go into details of what has already been mentioned here (and getting a blank stare back in my direction), and they simply said that the cheapest way to take care of the problem would be to cover the mirrors altogether, as though the vampires didn't want to give themselves away.

Of course, it takes the magic and effect away, but I suppose that it does solve the problem.

Leave it to a non-haunter to keep it simple. LOL.
                      www.mindseizure.com
                      www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Sadly, people always want Haunters to figure out a way to make Expencive Movie tricks work in real life. Selective people not seen? Totally impossible. Building a duplicate room would be the only way to get the effect desired, and that would just 'reflect' nothing.l

Sorry Kiddo!
                        ------------------------
                        The child is grown, the dream is gone.
                        I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

I, too, have thought about the duplicate room idea, but then again, everyone's reflection would not be seen. For this effect to be achieved properly, those who want to stage this effect are going to have to control their guests somehow so that only their vampire characters walk in front of the frame. But considering the manner that the "mirrors" are positioned (one right after the other) this is going to be next to impossible.
                          The Haunter's Depot
                          www.HauntersDepot.com

Comment

Woa, man your going to make my head explode. I think this person may have seen this done in the movies and does not realize that its not a mirror effect but that what they are seeing is done post production. I do not see how you can pull this off without everyone in the room being in on it but, if there is away then someone on this board is sure to come up with it and then the rest of us can ste....barrow it. :lol:
                            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

I don't know if any of you remember, but in the movie Poltergeist III there was some incredible work done with mirrors and actor doubles as they walked down the hallway of the high rise apartment not casting any reflection. Awful movie but these effects were truly outstanding that I have yet to see in any movie since.
                              The Haunter's Depot
                              www.HauntersDepot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X