Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliens - Yay or Nay?

Hey all,

I've been arguing with a friend recently over the use of Aliens in Haunts.

i'm Pro Aliens but in the H.R Giger ( movie : ALIEN ) sence.
    he's against aliens in general in haunts.

I'm just curious what your guys think. i'm nto a fan of the "Grey" alien because the Giger movie Alien is just scary as all hell. whats your thoughts?
    http://www.wix.com/Retrovertigojo/Portfolio

Aliens are a ric field to draw inspiration from for haunts. Im OK with them but they should be the theme layed over a good scare, they are not scary enough by themselves for one to walk up tp folks and have them flee. With the proper timing and placement theyy are a fine theme.
    The Giegeresque Aliens are a trademarked look so you might want to change them up alot and go with the parastic/egg cycle to draw on the fears that the movie versions stir up.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

A haunt I used to work at had an alien house in 3-D that worked pretty well. A couple years later the powers-that-be decided to put the aliens in the woods along the outdoor trail. It crashed and burned and was a flop. they closed off the alien theme the next year.

My advice, don't use aliens outside...
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I'd say as long as they have their "papers" it shouldn't be a problem!!!

You're not in Arizonia are you????
        R&J Productions
        Las Vegas, NV
        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

and I thought

I was just hallucinating those fuzzy dice in the back window of that UFO!?
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

There's this thread about Ridley Scott's proposed Alien movies where I weigh in on part of what I think makes them scary.

If you walk through the plot of 'Alien' - which is much more a pure horror movie than any of the others - you get this slow build of uncertainty and unknown becoming certain menace. (spoilers ahead, so go see it if you haven't) Oh, we found some weird eggs on a huge, unearthly spaceship. Then one exploded and a scary bug thing attached to my face. Ok, it fell off.Chest Burst. Freaky! What is that thing? Acid Blood. Moves Strangely. Killing us all off. One of us is a robot? and so on.

The interesting feature is that unlike a typical horror movie, Alien is filled with periods where the protagonists don't know what to make of the foreign presence. Or even what it is. Then comes the realization that it means you certain harm. How do you protect yourself against what you can barely comprehend? It's not a clear cut case like guy with scary face has an axe. must outrun him.

I've been focusing on Alien because it's one of my favorite horror movies, but I know the theme has been explored in other places, too. Anything supernatural, really, can tap into that fear of the unknown. The alien genre might be best positioned for it, though - especially if you want to explore "living" horrors, rather than the standard undead fare.

Some Lovecraft (Cthulhu) mythos is basically alien horror, by the way. They may come from deep in the oceans, from ancient times, or alternate universes. But many of the Old Ones and other creatures often play on the fear of the unknown - a dread that creeps in, even when evidence can't justify it.

Bottom line, obviously, is that I agree with you and not your friend
            Last edited by derekatronic; 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

That got me thinking about whether or not Alien is my favorite horror film. So, as a follow-on I'll mention 'The Thing' which might also claim that title.

It has all the same features described in my last post - with even less understanding of what the antagonist is.

Like Allen was saying, it won't work to copy Giger's Alien, but the themes involved could definitely be cool in a haunt.

Comment

I'm with derekatronic 100%- I think those movies are not really "alien" centered. They are horror, and horror is goot!

So I suppose the O.P. question is kinda moot. It should really be- Are my aliens horrible enough? If you have a "grey" alien, it better have something ridiculously creepy splittin' out of its head and lunging at people or I vote thumbs down.
                How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

No aliens in my opinion. Aliens are not scary in the same sence as horror is. Aliens are Sci Fi, and I've never seen a good alien scene in a haunt let alone an entire haunt. I think the classics are always better for a haunt it's what people expect. An alien ride or an attraction in an amusement park that has some scary elements is cool, but for seasonal halloween attractions aliens are a year round thing, not Halloween.

DA

Comment

Aliens illegal or otherwise

I have never been to a "Haunt" that had an alien theme that I liked. Universal had a few tries at it they FAILED misreably with the Thing house (my sister and I were so stoked about this house and we walked out shaking our heads) "Creatures" came close to good (hillbillies, aliens, and white trash). In a haunt you can sometimes suspend disbelif (a nut job with a chainsaw could really happen, and insane clown) oh wait they did Gacey and Gein. People fear things they know to be real. Dentists, doctors, psychopaths, clowns, bugs, etc.

Comment

Yah if its right...

IMHO an Alien maze can be good....I worked in an Alien maze last season. My thoughts were medicore at best.....Our maze was 3D so its was painted very colorful and bright. Not for me, and the costumes were also bright, so most of the talent could be seen from a distance. The concept of walking through a crashed ship then into forest and caves was ok but a loud, dark, horrific maze I think would be better.....

Comment

Working...
                      X