Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does Every Haunt get out of bolting their walls to the floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does Every Haunt get out of bolting their walls to the floor?

Almost all haunts get away without bolting their walls to the floor. We didn't bolt down last year, but this year in a different location the building department is being tough. I've heard that this same question comes up every time with haunts but somehow we get around this...How do we prove our walls can stand up if we only use 2x4 bracing on top of the walls? The building department says we need an engineer to show calculations that the walls will still stand in case of an earthquake, but our mall won't allow us to bolt down to the cement.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any other alternatives that aren't so damaging to the carpet and cement?

-Nathan

Possible solution

Maybe not a cost effective solution but you could build a sub floor. We built a floor in our shop using 2x4 on it's face and laying down tongue and groove plywood on top. This allowed us to anchor to the floor without hurting the concrete. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by backstagemike View Post
      Maybe not a cost effective solution but you could build a sub floor. We built a floor in our shop using 2x4 on it's face and laying down tongue and groove plywood on top. This allowed us to anchor to the floor without hurting the concrete. Just a thought...
      Will deffinatly cost more money - but this is what I would suggest. Build 4x8 frames out of 2x4's and screw them together. Then sheet them with OSB or whatever your building inspector would approve.
      "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
      Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
      Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

could you use 2x2's or 2x3's to save a little?
        Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

Originally posted by evilmanor View Post
          could you use 2x2's or 2x3's to save a little?
          He could...but chances are if the inspector is requiring some form of 'bolting' to the floor - they will require 2x4 studs, 16'' centers.
          "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
          Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
          Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

Haunt "walls" are not really walls at all, they are temporary partitions. I think there is something in the code book that relates to this sort of temporary partition...? These partitions bear no load and are free standing.

Sorry I can't offer any more specific guidance on this.
            Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

Impact Areas behind the wall

Lean some sand bags against it.
              If there back of the wall is needed to be used as a pathway make a bunker display of the sand bags.
              Run a low ledge out from the wall to rest the bags upon to fully transfer their weight to the wall where it's needed.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
              X