IAHA/HHA Merger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAHA/HHA Merger

I know this might open a can of worms but think it's important to get the community feedback on thoughts of a merger.

I am a member of both associations and am wondering what benefit it will be to become "one" again. All I keep hearing is talks about it, so what is the benefit?

I am not for or against it. (Frankly don’t care) I just really want to know why they think it will lead into a better place than it was before. HHA is only about 2 years old (with very established leaders). IAHA has been around for several years. It seems to make sense to join forces for the common good of all, but there are definitely different driving forces between the two organizations.

Everyone has different opinions because of location, attendance, etc. I, coming from a very rural area and much smaller haunt, want to see a committee of people on both (or if merger) that have an attendance of 15K or less in a season. I think it's important to listen to the majority of what (I feel) is in the haunt industry. But with that being said, legitimate smaller for profit haunts.

I just got involved with IAHA committees and think that many more need to join forces here if you want your opinions to be heard. This is a very important year for many of us. I see haunt popping up everywhere. And this is when something could happen and one fire, injury, or death could “kill” our amusement industry for the month of October and years to come.

So I think education is absolute key. But some of us need to help by stepping to the plate and voicing our opinions. So with that being said, I think IAHA and HHA need to send a survey out to there members and see what their thoughts are before the boards make any decisions.

Fire away, Any thoughts?

I just don't see any reason for any of it. It's nothing more then a ego builder. I think people in this business need to work harder on building better safer haunts, thats what will build us a better, stronger industry.

Robert

Comment

I somewhat agree. But they (both organizations) are doing a national blast which will help both large and small haunts. This forum frankly is the most educational forum out there. Both for the BS and the how to and safety issues, I think.

The discounts are definately good with HHA membership. So I do see the benefit to the members. IAHA has lots of education programs and you get discounts on continuing ed. I know we have to be registered with the state in PA and they gave discounts to these members.

Any organization or profession has a national membership or association you can join. It depends on if you take advantage and how involved you are on how much benefit you get out of it.

Comment

to each is own, to there has always been to much going on in the back round.

Comment

merge

I am for a merger for many reasons. The only caution is to have a strong board that will stifle any huge ego issues. That is what has plagued both groups, one longer than the other.

Pros: Only so many people in the business and they are volunteers as well. It is good to have one group as the industry rep. Lots of talent, experience, and networking available. Save a little on dues (I think dues should be at least the higher of the two of what it is for pro haunts). ONE national campaign for ALL haunts that could be spread around instead of nearly the same ones always at the top of the heap. Maybe have enough dues to hire a person to take care of office tasks and free up time of board members. One group for vendors and tradeshows to deal with. Maybe IAAPA affiliation again?

Cons: If egos aren't kept in check it will doom any progress and splinter the group once again.

It seems that the winds of change are being sailed by the right people to at least consider this. I personally like that. If a merger doesn't happen, at least the two groups have opened up some dialogue and could co-ordinate some things.
          Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
          Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

If there is a merger it can NOT be called IAHA there is to much drama associated with, to many mistakes, to many years being associated as a home haunter association that no one would take it serious.

Two associations can't survive heck barely one can survive so either there would be a merger into the HHA or one or the other would eventually fade away I'm sure.

But once there is the elimination of one or the other then you have to focus to keep just the one association doing strong but even at only one it could fade away as well if it does not create benefits for those who support it with their money, time and effort.

Yes egos have to be checked at the door for sure!

I think this will happen... hint hint I think the new association will be called Haunted Attraction Association (HAA).

We'll see.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I am ok with a name change ...

Larry, I agree with most of your points.

A name change could be good. But then again, the older name has been around longer (yes with more baggage).

The newer name has support, too.

Caution to changing to a new name ( I am ok with it) because of the perception that the industry may appear to be too unstable, yet. But the pro to it is that there would be no old names/feelings/egos/issues/problems/frontpeople associated with it, either.

A merger of the two should keep the owners/mgrs of events in charge concept.

www.Hysterium.com

www.hysteriumescapes.com

sigpic

Comment

I would agree with your thoughts. I guess I am more for the merge than against it. But I think the board needs to give the members a little more option to vote on things then the board review the votes and make an educated decision from there.

I also think that many of the members should step up and get on committees to help lift some of the small stuff from all the board members.

This is actually why I started this post. I don't think we are getting enough opinion out there and so the public think we are not being heard. Just throwing money away. Which is not true. I think both organization have done a really good job promoting the industry and yes, some of them certainly deserve to be in the spot light. They are the haunts that funded the organizations to begin with.

Comment

involvement

If their were to be a merger, then the new org could try to get more involvement by having a board member or two on each committee with many more people on those committees. That would get more involvement and help guide some people to be board members later.

I have seen this in other organizations and it worked well. AS far as the board making decisions. That is why you elected them. And if the committee made recommendations, there would be more input into those decisions before they made them.

www.Hysterium.com

www.hysteriumescapes.com

sigpic

Comment

Yep JamBam, need more input! My point exactly.

Comment

Working...
                    X