Salem, Massachusetts for Halloween!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem, Massachusetts for Halloween!

I might be going to Salem, MA for Halloween this year. I heard it's like Mardi Gras, but for Halloweed. Anyone ever been there before? Possibly tell me what I'm in store for?

Thanks.

I've lived in Salem and its surounding cities all my life. It is like Mardi Gras the last few weekends in October. Salem has 4 or 5 haunts, plus countless historic attractions that turn into haunted theme in October. There are indoor and ourdoor tours, walking and trolly tours, cemetary tours, museums, great restaurants and more.

Also, you will only be about an hour drive away from Nightmare New England/Spooky World, Fright Kingdom, Haunted Overload, and Witch's Woods, all which are worthy of your attendance. It is definatley worth the trip. Plenty to do, and a general creepy feeling that you can only get in Salem MA in the Fall.

Hope to see you around!
    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

I heard from someone else.... he adviced me not to buy to enter any museums because the prices are higher in Salem, is that true? Also, there is one called "Freak Fest" in Key West, Florida... honestly, I've never heard of that name before and it's like Mardi Gras too.

Comment

My wife and I went there on a complete whim without researching first during May of 2007 for our honeymoon not realizing they have a "season" there. Apparently if we had been a week earlier the whole town was basically shut down from what some of the shop people and locals were telling us. They said the time to visit is definitely closer to Halloween.

Another thing we experienced and was told is still similar around Halloween is that everything closes much earlier than you may expect. A lot of the museums and attractions were closed at 8 or way earlier. We had a hard time finding many fun things to do after midnight. Everyone told us to head over to Boston for late nights. Then in hotels...whatever you do, do not stay at the Clipper Ship hotel...worst hotel experience of our life...ever. Id have to look up the name, but the first hotel we stayed in was right by the bay and was absolutely gorgeous. We decided to stay an additional day at somewhere cheaper being the clipper ship, and lets say there are a good many reasons it was cheaper.

Research the attractions some before going too...we went on many tours that were of older buildings but all carried basically the same tale of The Crucible with their own twists on it. Then we went on a private late night walking ghost tour and were told that many of the things in town are clever recreations...the further you are from the water the better chance the attractions are legit he said. Again, this was coming from locals, and we didn't research before hand so find info if you can before going for the best experience.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

Mike "Pogo" Hach
        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Originally posted by House of Evil View Post
          I might be going to Salem, MA for Halloween this year. I heard it's like Mardi Gras, but for Halloweed. Anyone ever been there before? Possibly tell me what I'm in store for?

Thanks.
          While you are in Salem you must go to Nightmare New England/Spooky World its only and hour north of Salem. It has great attractions/haunts. Salem has a lot to do to.

Comment

There are places in Salem not worth visiting, just like any other tourist city you visit. However there are plenty of places that are great to see, you just have to know which is which. You are right with the season thing, if you come in the winter, you wont have anything to do, because most of if not all of the attractions close for winter. But summer and fall are pretty busy. Most attractions do close relatively early, even during October, the city of Salem does not allow the business's to stay open late, but the bars and restaurants are open till 12:30, unless you go to Boston, then they are open till 2AM. If anyone from this board wants to visit Salem or anywhere in the Boston area, I'd be happy to meet up with you once you get here and give you an overview of what to do and what not to do, sites to see, where to eat etc. Just let me know ahead of time when you will be in town, and I'll put some time aside for you! I have lived here my whole life, and I have been involved with Haunted Happenings in Salem, and Haunted Houses in general for over 15 years, so I can give you some good ideas, plus I love meeting other haunters.

Justin
            The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

I love Salem, MA. Its one of my favorite places on Earth! The attractions are really no different than any other tourist trap some are good and some are terrible. Overall though Salem is the best place on Earth to be during October... go you'll love it.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I've been there a couple of times. I agree with Larry on this one... It's one of my favorite places, too!

If you want to know more about what to expect... check out the two reviews I've written about the Witch City:

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/salemwitchtrials.php

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/salem...happenings.php
                Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Thanks a lot to Dr Frightner or Haunted Illinois!

I'll look forward going to seeing it this year. Maybe?

Comment

Working...
                  X