Liquid Latex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Latex

I am sure this has been answered before but i am new to the makeup side of this. What kind of latex do i need to use on people and to make cut's, wounds, etc and where do i get it from. I seen some at screamline but i don't know what i need or how much. I will be working with about 40 or 50 actors. Also do i use sprit gum to apply it. These may be crazy questions but i am in need of the information

Thanks for the help
    Brett

Really any latex will work. Low ammonia is best when your putting it on someones face. Get it from Screamline, thats fine. Email them so they knw what you are doing.
    For wounds you make right on thir skin you wont need spirit gum, I hate spirit gum and dont use it for anything. If you are attaching cured latex wound prosthetics then I like prosaide over spirit gum.
    MANY PEOPLE ARE ALERGIC TO LATEX!!! Test every actor to see if they are. Put a bit of latex on their inner elbow, allow it to dry then wait ten minuites. If they feel a burning or tingling then they are alergic to latex. Do not put any latex on a person who is alergic.
    Good luck
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

As Allen said, test every actor for the risk of allergy first (and some people can take several hours to react, but then break out into blisters later). Also apply barrier spray to your actors before using latex to help prevent any minor skin irritation.

Watermelon appliances are another option for anyone that is allergic to latex.

I recommend Screamline's latex and the quantity depends on how many nights you are open along with how elaborate the makeup jobs will be (if you are just doing a few cuts each night then you can stretch out a gallon, if you plan to do some full face wounds and large appliances then at least 2 gallons).
      Katie Lane
      Partner/VP
      Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
      sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

http://shop.screamlinestudios.com/pr...2&categoryId=2

Make sure to buy the "makeup" latex. You don't want to put normal mask latex on someones face.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Also if you have never worked with it before I would suggest looking up some tutorials on how to use it or getting a book like Dick Smith's Monster Makeup Guide...that was like a bible when I started using makeup. Practice first too...depending on your time restraints if you are the only person applying the makeup on 50+ actors, you may not realistically be able to do full latex jobs on them all.

There are lots of do's and dont's to latex and how to use it properly, protecting yourself and anyone you may be applying it to, helping it stick and making it look good. A common big one...it will likely not come out of hair or clothing! So make sure faces are semi shaven and use vaseline or cold cream on hairlines if getting super close to any hair including eyebrows etc...

Also can't stress enough what others have said, make sure the person you are applying on is not allergic...some people can have very adverse reactions including severe swelling of the body like someone severely allergic to bees that has been stung.

Good luck...its very fun to play with and learn!

Mike "Pogo" Hach
          -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you......I really needed the help and you guys and gals knowldge is priceless....Thanks

Comment

I would also suggest if you are planning on doing makeup more often check out screamline studio's for some videos I think Allen was working on some as wellbut have not checked on his site in a little while so not sure. you can also use good old fasion jello to do tthe wound effect if you can not afford the wound prostetics from some place. Like Allen said Prosade instead of spirirt glue your actors will thank you when after an hour or 2 the wounds are still attached oh and something I did not see mentioned if they have facial hair cover it with I think vaseline not sure what the other cover items names are.
              Proud to be able to work at
              http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Working...
              X