Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some tips on growls and snarls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some tips on growls and snarls...

This is the first year I actually have to audition to be in a haunt. I'm auditioning for both my previous haunt (whose owner is now working for the Queen Mary as they replace Shipwreck) and Knott's Halloween Haunt, due to the pushing of a good friend who really wants me to work with him. I can move like a creature of the night as it were, but I have a HUGE stumbling block, in my mind, in that I have the DAMNEDEST time doing a decent snarl or growl in that I'm worried it comes out sounding too much like a snore. Anyone have any tips for how to get a good snarl or growl? The auditions are all this weekend so any help I can get would be AWESOME. Thanks in advance!

If it sounds like the growl you are making may be from the throat. When you go to growl think of something that makes you angry on such a scale the you feel it well up inside of you and release the growl usually for mine I can feel it resonate from the diaphram through my chest and out. Also go online and listen to some growls and roars from diffrent animals and try to emulate them. it will never sound right if you don't have the correct point of reference. on a side note also think about why is your character growling?
    is he part animal? does he have a breathing problem? do not add a growl just because you think it will be scary.
    Last edited by soultrkr; 08-13-2010, 06:25 AM.
    Proud to be able to work at
    http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

it won't work

If you happen to have an allergy or be stuffed-up. Make sure everything there is open and clear to give you the most possibly predictable sounds when you go to make them. Maybe clear out any phlem with Listerine...
      My ripped throat has no problem sounding scary because after doing this haunting everynight for 22 years sometimes my voice is too deep, raspy..it was never like that for the rest of my life, previous to haunting.
      And..I'm not a screamer, I talk alot and sometimes have to talk over someone in the tour...
      Maybe tour a hog farm and listen there for your inspiration, we have piggies in Illiniois!
      Hogs have that flat end pointing right at you for nasil termination, stand back! They can spray snot with that weapon!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Good point on the clear air passage ways Jim.
        One other thing I forgot to mention about the audtions is when you growl make sure to show your characters intent. if you can do this through body language and through the look in your eyes you will do well despite the growl.

Comment

When you inhale, try to inhale into your stomach. You should be able to feel your stomach expand. When you growl (exhale), push with your lower stomach. This should mean you're using your diaphram, just like a singer. Also, warm water with honey in it will help loosen your vocal chords.

Comment

Inhale to the stomach, this tends to push on the bowel and exercising this will push out your poo faster (hopefully predictably!)
            There! Did you hear that snort/growl?
            I pharted.
            VERY SCARY! RUN AWAY! Bowel-a-bunga Kemosabe!
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! The Knott's auditions didn't work out since my ride dropped out, but the Queen Mary auditions are coming up, and I am going to keep all the tips in mind! Wish me luck guys, cause I really need to work a paid haunt due to my lack of a normal job at the moment! lol.

Comment

So even though my snarl failed me in the audition thanks to my mouth getting dry, it was good enough to get a job working Dark Harbor at the Queen Mary, along with my brother and our friend! Thanks for the tips guys!

Comment

Congratulations!

That must have been quite the case of cotton mouth! But congratulations and you are in for some awesome scares and invaluable experience aboard the Queen.

Comment

Thank you! Yeah, I was fine and had brought a water bottle, but had left it in the car. >.< Luckily I have a pretty intense stare and twitch that I do, so that saved me I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Grats you will have a great time.

Comment

Just another small update. Me, my brother and our friend got called in to get casted and I made main cast, so I will be working streets for the Queen Mary Dark Harbor! Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Way to go!!!! Just remeber to always try to improve your acting skills. ask some veterns there on suggestions for keeping your voice in tact.
                          you could even get Dynamic haunt acting from Allen's site
                          http://stiltbeaststudios.com/
                          Now that I think about I find my self plugging Allen's video alot and so do alot of other people so I think it may speak volumes for it.

Comment

I appreciate the plug good sir!
                            I working hard to get videos out same or next day because I know we are down to the wire and lots of folks want to use it for training actors.
                            It has been said before and I will say it again Halls mentholyptus drop will really help your voice stay in shape. You may also want to think about how active to be with your voice based on what night it is, dont blow your voice on Friday when you still have saturday and sunday nights to go. Pacing is huge in this industry.
                            Congrats on your post,
                            Allen H
                            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks guys! I am going to make sure to pass the tips along to my brother and my friend also. And I probably will probably pick up Allen's videos when I get my first paycheck from the Queen Mary. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X