How do you build cheap fake walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you build cheap fake walls?

Im trying to start a home haunt next season and Iv been looking around for ideas for fake walls but most of them are expensive. So what are some cheap ways to build walls?

There are actually lots of low-cost options. Are you building in the yard, garage or some other place? If outside, is it on grass, dirt or pavement? That info will help everyone guide you with advice.

Comment

Its going to be inside a 2 bed one bath house. Sorry about forgetting that important peice of info.

Comment

Budget?

What kind of budget do you have for the whole project?

From cheap to expensive... here are some wall ideas.

>>CHEAP<<

Black Painter's Plastic Hung On Ropes - $10 for a 10' by 25' sheet, plus the cost of rope.
        Wooden Pallets, if you can get them for free. - free, if you're lucky
        Black plastic on a PVC frame - not sure on exact price
        Cardboard on PVC - not sure on exact price
        Cardboard on 2 by 3s - $5 a pannell
        Hardboard on 2 by 3s - $10 a pannell
        OSB on 2 by 3s- $10 a pannell
        Plywood on 2 by 3s - $20 a pannell
        Vacuform Mounted On OSB and 2 by 3 Frames - not sure on exact price
        Walls Built The Old Fassioned Way- bricks, mortar and tile. - not sure on exact price

>>EXPENSIVE<<

Hope this helps!
        *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

r/e walls

I do a garage haunt every year. I started out with the PVC pipes and black sheeting, but then went to wood. Much more versatile and realistic. I use 2x2's ($1.65 for an 8 foot piece) and span them with 2x4's ($2.65 for an 8 foot piece) instead of using whole plywood panels. Then plastic sheeting to cover, maybe occasional small sections of vacuform (pretty expensive so I don't use much) You can see how this looks in my blog xtremegaragehaunting.blogspot.com.
          Http://xtremegaragehaunting.blogspot.com

Comment

Great blog!

Originally posted by DrDoom71 View Post
            I do a garage haunt every year. I started out with the PVC pipes and black sheeting, but then went to wood. Much more versatile and realistic. I use 2x2's ($1.65 for an 8 foot piece) and span them with 2x4's ($2.65 for an 8 foot piece) instead of using whole plywood panels. Then plastic sheeting to cover, maybe occasional small sections of vacuform (pretty expensive so I don't use much) You can see how this looks in my blog xtremegaragehaunting.blogspot.com.
            Really awesome updates! Will have to read through them sometime when I have more time! Thanks for taking the time to blog and from a fellow haunter it really is nice to see pictures!
            *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

Stop!!!!!!

You are asking for trouble doing things the cheap way!!!

It sounds to me that your intentions are to build a haunted house within a residential building? Is this correct?

If so, i think you need to stop what you are planning, and look at the bigger picture. Safety is your number one priority, and if you are not going to do things the safe way or the right way, dont do it at all!

I have been a home haunter for 10 years, and believe me i have wanted to do things more in my garage, but have not done so because of safety. My entire haunt is out in the front yard, i do a large cemetery and use only 2 live actors. This is fine for me, you im sure want to do something big and great, thats ok.

First of all your house will need to be treated from top to bottom, every square foot with fire shield. Dont even think about using cardboard.....you will also need to use water based paints for all painting. You will need to treat your props with fire shield as well!!!

You can buy fire proofed plastic, but would not recomend this use unless you are going to use it outdoors!

You need to speak with your local fire marshal before you do anything on the inside of that house, cause you are going to need to put in emergency exits as well!!!

Please dont make any bad ideas, i was a firefighter for 2 years and i don't want you getting into trouble, these are things that you need to pay close attention to.

Oh and one more thing, you will need insurance coverage, not an option to skip!!!

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Haunt View Post
                You are asking for trouble doing things the cheap way!!!

It sounds to me that your intentions are to build a haunted house within a residential building? Is this correct?

If so, i think you need to stop what you are planning, and look at the bigger picture. Safety is your number one priority, and if you are not going to do things the safe way or the right way, dont do it at all!

I have been a home haunter for 10 years, and believe me i have wanted to do things more in my garage, but have not done so because of safety. My entire haunt is out in the front yard, i do a large cemetery and use only 2 live actors. This is fine for me, you im sure want to do something big and great, thats ok.

First of all your house will need to be treated from top to bottom, every square foot with fire shield. Dont even think about using cardboard.....you will also need to use water based paints for all painting. You will need to treat your props with fire shield as well!!!

You can buy fire proofed plastic, but would not recomend this use unless you are going to use it outdoors!

You need to speak with your local fire marshal before you do anything on the inside of that house, cause you are going to need to put in emergency exits as well!!!

Please dont make any bad ideas, i was a firefighter for 2 years and i don't want you getting into trouble, these are things that you need to pay close attention to.

Oh and one more thing, you will need insurance coverage, not an option to skip!!!

Mr. Haunt
                My haunt is in the yard. I dont use waterbased paint just spraypaint. Will i be fine?
                How do i fireproof something?

Comment

This is what you need, visit this web site www.newyorkfireshield.com if this does not work just google "New York Fireshield".

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Not 100% sure, but you might be just fine without it with out door stuff. You can howeever buy in all sizes!

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Working...
                    X