Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy fabric for doorways?

Fellow haunters,

I need your help! I need a heavy, curtain type of material to be used for some of the doorway's between rooms in our mausoleum area. We have found some pieces of "Velveteen" material, but we have heard varying stories on what is best....100% cotton, polyester blend..???? What have you used that works?? We need something that is like a heavy, heavy drape or curtain, but that we can dip into the clear New York Fire shield, unless you know of something that comes fire retardant.

Please give me any suggestions that you can. As always, thanks in advance for your help!
    Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
    www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

From personal experience I suggest cotton...it soaks up the fire retardant better. We sprayed ours yearly. If its something that would normally need dry cleaning or you would worry about ruining if it got wet...consider it being dunked in liquid...Polyester also if it were to catch fire is a little more toxic and drips. Im not sure what most theaters use, but the proximity is different as far as the restrictions. We hit the $1 bin at Wal Mart and got anything we could find for scene curtains and did end up having in general more issues with any poly stuff. You might want to consult the fire marshal for their input too.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Canvas

What about a big heavy duty drop cloth from home depot.
      Cut it up in the size and length you need.
      sigpic
      PEACE, ADAM
      www.poisonprops.com

Comment

I second the drop cloth, can be painted different colors and coaed with retardant, but get them from harbor freight as they are much cheaper, or sherwin williams.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I "Tubed" the doorway

I glued together (Goop ) numerous black vynl tubes about 1 1/4 inch in diameter,7 feet long, seam on the inside of the finished item, packed it with fiberglass after making sure a little weight was inserted first at the bottom. They are hung close together on a very substantual steel rod.
          I welded a 90 degree arm in the middle of the steel rod so I can make this whole thing keep swinging or begin swinging again, of course I am nowhere near the thing when it decides to do this....
          This creation fills the need to block the cold wind everytime my front door opens to bring the patrons in and it also keeps nosey people from seeing into my first room before they are supposed to.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

stage curtains?

We bought some stage curtains from a school auction. Cheap, already designed to be fireproofed, initially fireproofed, can be frieproofed again once we install them, and can cut them to our exact specs.

We use www.auctionzip.com to find many things. Found an auction two years ago that had a dozen caskets from a private, yes private collection (with some skeletons).
            Search the distance from your zip code you are willing to travel and use a specific key word. Them check the calendar and search the auction description for your highlighted key word. The auction listings usually have a lot of pictures as well.

Good Luck!
            Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
            Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

More Fabric ideas...

Hey, I use RoseBrand for all of my curtains in my theatre. Most of their products are IFR or FR rated and top quality. A little pricey, but much easier than dippin into FR stuff. Just a thought!

Randy Shorts
              LOHS Theatre HAUNT

Comment

I have used plain old cotton blend. Put lead fishing weights in the hem of the curtains. Cheap and works great!
                http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Working...
                X