Tracking attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking attendance

This is a topic that I never get tired of brainstorming. Our own experience, and from what I have learned from talking to fellow haunters, leads me to believe that the industry as a whole seems to peak at about the 3rd or 4th weekend, and then gradually tapers off.
    I realize that there are multiple factors involved, that can contribute to this, but I often wonder, is this is the result of something that we do, or do not do? Is it possible, that our advertising efforts reach the peak of their frequency, and the reason our attendance tapers off is because our ads taper off?
    Usually our 3rd and 4th weekend, pushes us to our limits of what we can handle. Would we be better served to lighten our marketing efforts during this time, and focus more on the earlier, and later weeks?
    During the weekends, that we are pushed to our max, is it possible that we increase our throughput to the point that it weakens the show, and it is that word of mouth that causes attendance to taper off? Could it be the word of mouth, of waiting in a long line, that causes attendance to diminish.
    I feel fairly certain, that I am not the only one asking these questions.
    I would love to hear what some of the more seasoned vets have to say on the topic.
    Is this the nature of the beast, or is there more attendance to be had, that we are missing out on?
    Last edited by Mike Goff; 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM.
    www.haroldshaunt.com

Tracking Attendance

I for one would love to know the answer to this question. I'm not sure the wait in line can be helped, but maybe halfway through October the advertising and marketing campaign needs to be increased. Maybe even by as much as half.

Comment

I always wonder if it is because the retail chains tend to already start driving Christmas things by the end of OCT. because almost everyone is effected by the exposure of their local retail store's seasonal displays. I went in last year 2 weeks before Halloween and the Halloween stuff was already on sale and the Christmas decorations and Christmas trees were up in the garden center.

The rest of the country seems to try to push right past Halloween and Thanksgiving.
      Proud to be able to work at
      http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

exception to the rule

Maybe this was a fluke, but in 07 our 4th weekend blew away our 3rd, and our 5th was just as big as the 4th. These 2 weekends were all time record breakers for us, and still have not been broken. The last weekend was pretty damn good too.

As I scan through my notes, the one thing that sticks out in my mind, is that I was very aware of the curse of a big night, and we prepared for it. It seems that when you get overloaded, things start to fall apart. We always make every effort to keep the troops motivated, but that year, it was like magic. Everyone stuck it out, and never let thier guard down. I can confidently say, that those big weekends, our customers got as good of a show as we were capable of putting on.

I have since then tried to duplicate that magic, I'm not quite sure if that was it, and if we have successfully emulated that season, but it's just a theory.

Like I said, it could be a fluke. I am sure that someone out there has worked through the answer, and can either verify or debunk my theory.
        www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

So what is it you wanna know? Weeks toward Halloween normally are more productive then the beginning weekends of October. If you wanna track it easier change your ticket color or put an symbol in the corner on each week.

Comment

common sense would dictate that the closer you get to Halloween, the more tickets you sell. From my own experience, it seems that the middle of the season is the peak, and after about the 4th weekend, attendance slows down. I know that this is a common phenomenon, I just want to know if this is symptomatic of an underlying problem, or if this is just the way it is, and we have to accept it. It is my belief that most haunters think that this is just the way things are, and don't try to change it, it is also my belief that somewhere, someone has had an "aha" moment and figured out how to manipulate this curve to thier advantage.
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

School has just started and summer isn't over just yet.

Comment

Working...
              X