Haunt sets with burlap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt sets with burlap ??

Im working on the first room for this years haunt, our rules room. The room was totally covered in foam that I made to look like old deterirating block walls. Very dark and dungon like. I made a bucky skeleton into a pneumatically operated rotted flesh looking prop. The skeleton will sit at a piano. The plan is that when the guest enter the rules room the skeleton will be animated as though its playing the piano. Then the skeleton will begin to talk giving the rules for the haunt.

The piano does not look that old and doesnt yet look as though it really belongs in the room. I was thinking about using other skeleton parts to add some character to the piano however I was thinking of covering part of the piano with bulap before additional skeleton parts.

Does anybody have any ideas or pictures they could share about using burlap in their haunt sets to give extra detail?? As always...thanks a million for any insight!!!
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Whenever we have something 'new' we simply spritz the item with water, then take simple dry concrete/plaster mix and sift it on the item with a flour sifter.

You can also use spray adhesive and the dry mix.
    Not sure the exact vision of adding the burlap. I personally like JUTE NETTING better than burlap - but thats just my opinion.

The scene sounds cool! Post some pics!
    "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
    Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
    Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

Hey thanks for that idea!! That would give a great look to that piano. Im guessing it would make it look as though it had been sitting there for decades...

Being I was't really sure which direction to go right yet, my backup plan was to try and cover the piano. Not so much that guests wouldnt know what it was but just enough so that I didnt have too much nice and new looking piano to wonder what to do with. I do really like your idea and thanks for chimen in!!
      Kelly Anderson

Comment

i have used burlap like wall paper with great results, it gives a really interesting look. i cut irregiular shapes and dip them in a glue/water solution and apply to the item/wall/whatever.
        Could look really cool on your piano.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I dont know if this counts as haunts that use burlap. But Jim Warfield told me once he wears burlap underwear.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

If the room looks and feels like a dungeon, why not make it a dungeon and move the piano to another room? Just a thought....
            DA

Comment

Hey Jute, don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better.
              IT's a real man who wears burlap undies.
              Are you ready and tested for your promotion Damon?
              Anything anyone can say can't begin to rub you the wrong way if you are a wearer of burlap underware.
              Don't call me "Raw Dog" (raw hotdog, maybe?)
              Burlap shrinks when it gets wet, this sort of tells you "something"as I turn green and burst through my lower restraints.
              "Me HULK!"
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

DA- It was my thought to not have the piano at all. However the room was basically someone elses idea....kind of a "Tales from the Crypt" kind of thing. Im just trying to go with it. I designed the pneumatic bucky specifically for this piano. This weekend is when I plan to get the Bucky on set and try to start the process of tieing it all together. Everything should turn out pretty good but Im concerned about the piano not looking like it fits in the end. Im becoming my biggest crytic. We just got our audio and dialog recording for the animation back but the piano audio dont fit the way I animated the handson the bucky either so now Im tying to find different audio for that now too.

Like Larry says..."Pay attention to detail"...or you'll look like a charity haunt..Then again we are a charity haunt....HA!! LOL....Truley loved your detailing seminar Larry!!

Allan- Thanks for the tips with the burlap. Do you just leave it look as is after you glue it in place? Would love to see pictures of how you used it if you ever get a chance to post any. Im sure alot of it is just trial and error till it looks right. That kind of my approach so far. I do really like Oblivion HH suggestions as well. I considering doing both ideas cause I do like the burlap look if I can do it right. Thanks Allan

Jim/Damon- That raw and iching sensation in that region can be caused by many different things. Not just the burlap.. As a guy that is concerned about you, consider getting that checked out by a speciallist. Then again, it could make for a very scarey prop this year for Ravins Grinn. Could have a different story each time...HA!! LOL ...Now I better quit before I get in trouble

Thank for the comments!!!
                Kelly Anderson

Comment

Um, I really dont understand the last post, however...
                  Kelly
                  I dont take many set pics so I dont have any to share. Often I dry brush the burlap with a lighter color to highlight it and enhance its texture.
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                  X