Chainsaw....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaw....

We have been using a couple different models the past couple years, but mainly ones that we have had or have gotten from somebody last minute. I am looking into possibly getting a chainsaw that is designated for our haunt (Not for cutting down trees in the backyard too). So I am looking for a model that is easier to start preferably and light weight would be nice too. Our scene is outdoors so I want a real chainsaw. Has anybody found a model that they especially like? I was looking into one of the Stihl Easy2start saws, anybody used them before? Any feedback would be great!

Jake

Avoid Stihl

The Stihls rev too high when the chain is off. You will blow the motor and void the warranty.

We learned this the hard way last year! An expensive mistake...

Also avoid Homelite.

We seem to have had the best luck with Poulan. The are inexpensive, durable, and easy to repair.
    Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98738-283-P4...eaf%20shredder

I used that one last year when I was an actor. It was extremely powerful to use and definantly worked at a scare tactic. The only negatives are its pretty heavy, and the vibrations are very strong. I highly recommend that the user wears gloves and takes breaks.

Comment

Okay thanks guys. Has anybody else had this issue with the Stihl chainsaws?

Comment

Sears Craftsman aren't too bad...plus they will usually take them in return if they blow within 30 days. Just buy them day you open, and if they blow, go get a new one or your money back (Just chip up the chain a little so it looks used...lol).

Mike "Pogo" Hach
          -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

poulan work great also like jak said you gotta love a warranty

Comment

Just wandering, has anyone tried either the electric or battery operated chainsaws yet?

Comment

used as sthl for 5 years. as long as its serviced and lubed shell be fine. much like a women
                Tim McCall

Comment

We've always used Poulans. Other than the pull strings breaking, they have been very reliable for us.

Vinny
                  www.ArxMortis.com

Comment

We use sthl easy starts. We have 3 of them and they work great for us. We used to use the poulan but we spent more time "POULAN"them trying to get them to start.
                    The sthls are a little touchy to start the first time but they have never let us down.
                    I found out the problem we were having with the poulans was the coil would vibrate loose and split.
                    Thats just my opinion and my experience just like everyone elses.
                    Greg
                    Fearfest
                    Greg Allen
                    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Okay thanks guys. Greg which models of the stihl's do you have? MS 180, 250?

Comment

I use Stihl chainsaws in my outside haunts. We have 6 Stihl ms 170 chain saws. They run really good. The only thing that you have to do to them is put a set screw in the butter fly on the carborator so that it limits the throttle. If you don't over time you will score the piston because it will rev to high because there is to resistance on the engine. We take of the standard bar that come switch it and put on huge 20"-24" bars that we get for free used from the dealer. They look great on the chainsaw because it doesn't have the new out of the box look.
                        Last edited by grofarms; 09-03-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grofarms View Post
                          The only thing that you have to do to them is put a set screw in the butter fly on the carborator so that it limits the throttle. If you don't over time you will score the piston because it will rev to high because there is to resistance on the engine.
                          This is a good idea. I was still trying to figure out a way to limit the throttle after blowing a brand new engine last year.

We have two of the MS180c models (one now with a new engine!)

The biggest issue we had (besides the engine failure) was having our operators yank the cord out on the easy-start system. They were used to the other type and ended up pulling too hard. This requires a bit of training and practice to overcome.

We also had two pull start assemblies standing by for quick swaps. I got to the point where I could swap one out in about 5 minutes.

You might also look at Husqvarna. We have one that has served us well.
                          Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

Working...
                          X