My Hauntworld Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hauntworld Family

Guys and Gals I been thinking real hard and I find that I keep asking myself why do I put up with the crap I do and go through all these headaches of 10 months or so just to have fun for 1 month? When I did these small haunts it was so much fun....nights of all night stress free play then go to Shoneys at 1am and eat breakfast with my friends! Where did the good old days go? Then I did Graystone Manor and got it going but could tell the fun was not there I kept fooling myself anyway I refuse to go any futher into that as you can read it on the Amazon's Best Selling Book List called Highway To Hell The Graystone Manor Years! LOL!!!

I don't know guys I have did well for myself the Christmas Business which is now in it's 18th year! And I got the Bus thing which I see myself expanding on even more. I have my love for my animals and my family and am starting to second guess myself. I guess I came here today to dis, ramble, yell or just plain blow off some steam and clear my head! I feel that I can talk to you guys better than I can anyone! Hell you all have became my family I have so grown in the last 4 years since coming here to HauntWorld. I credit you guys for making me see things different and you helped me realize I am some what different! I want to list all the friends I have made here and in this industry but there is no way in hell I can as you all mean the world to me! heck everyone in this industry has my private cell number and you all know you can call any time! Anyway I just don't know if my head is straight enough and am focused enough anymore. I can say this just the daily bull chit of nuts is really making me say I want and so miss the private life I once had!!!!! Shane and its just talking out loud! Shane this time!
    sigpic

No No NO!

Already had some of my Huntsville boys contact me! Guys this has nothing to do with you guys! your all AWSOME and some of the best friends a guy could ask for! Shane and its NOT YOUR BOSS BUT YOUR FRIEND! Shane this time.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm sure everyone has those feeling every now and then and it's great that we have a forum such as this to vent when we need to. Keep your chin up for I know most everyone here will be wishing you the best...

(and for the record, I don't have your private cell phone number)
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I know that feeling, Shane. I did my last haunt three years ago. My county isn't really that big so it was never really for a profit (not much of one anyway). And then it stopped being fun and was all work and worry. I ended up selling off most of my props. Last year I helped do a haunted house at an elementary school and this year I'm doing a killer home haunt. And I'm having fun.

But you know what? I've got that itch, and am making plans to open up again next year. I guess it's one of those things that you get in your blood and can't get out. At least not without a complete transfusion, I hear.

Comment

Hang in there, Shane! Let me know if you need anything. All I can say is I am totally with you on the 'losing steam' thing. If it weren't for the support of these wonderful haunters, I probably could have never made it through the build.
          "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
          Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
          Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

yep, it literally makes me miserable....

Comment

Badger

How goes it man have not see ya since Ohio! Shane and its 256-710-0515 Shane this time!
              sigpic

Comment

I know how you feel

i normally dont post a lot on here just for the fact that i am just trying to learn as much as i can. I am not a newbie to the industry as i have been working haunts for 15 years. There have been a few times i have felt the same as you granite i was not in charge of the haunt and have to go through the stress of all the permits and making sure your haunt is up and ready to go on opening night. There have been many of nights that while in season that i have just felt that it is just a job and there is not any fun factor in it anymore. For me i just had to back off and walk away and go refocus for a few minutes but that is when i was a crowd worker and i could do that when i needed to but now as a lead of 1 of the haunts and i am back to having the responsibility of watching over nine actors i am back to were i had fun back when i was at my first haunt as a lead there. I know now that i can make anything fun even when chit is hitting the fan around me. You just cant let that effect you in any way. as long as you have huge crowds coming in the door to see your product you should be having fun!!!!
                SCORN
                MANAGER AT SCAREMARE
                LOCATED IN LYNCHBURG, VA
                2017 45 YEARS OF FEAR!!!

Comment

Running out of steam

Greetings~

To Shane forst off~

I know i havent really talked ot you directly and you obivouly "don't know me from adadm" other thanmy occasional posts on the forum here. But i can say .. i have definately learned alot from your posts, and have taken that knowledge and have been using it .. or trying to.

I as well have worked, goin on 20 years, in haunted houses, every thing from little ones( charity) to big commercial haunts, and also with the help of freinds desinging one of the bigger ( if no the biggest) Home Haunts in Lockport,NY. And i can relate .. is is VEREY VEREY draining. Matter of fact this week we are haiving out first meeting with our actors for the home haunt this year. As well as finalizing plans on ow things are going to be for this year.

Its a pain in the A$$, but the end results are worth it.

To every one else~..

I have learned ALOT from all of you even tho I dont post much,I read this forum DAILY and thru the days, just to keep the "haunt feeling" in me .. evern in the "off season" .. Not that there really is an "off season" for any of us. But be that as it is .. i do appreciate ALL the knowledge i have gleaned from this form, and I HAVE referred MANY popele to this forum for knowledge as to what and why i talk about Haunted stuff, all thru the year.

You guys and gals are a great group of people always willng to answer questions and give advice .. when possible..

Thanks all.. for all you advice you have given .. and im sure will continue to give.

~LoneWolf/Jeff

Comment

Shane you just got to block out the bs and remember what you love about haunts. I know it is easier said than done. You add a ton to this forum and maybe you do need to sit down and write out your experiances it might help you get your scare groove back or find a team member whom you can do some of the managment tasks to take a little of the load off of you. I hope you do find that joy again when you hear that group of people scream or when you are with other haunt owners here on the board talking with passion about a haunt or at one of the cons looking at props and having fun. after all as the great self help guru from SNL would say " you are smart, you do good things, and gosh darn it people like you."
                    Proud to be able to work at
                    http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Jeff

Thank you when I find that someone has read something I said and it was of help to them in some way just makes my day. I dunno in thinking about it maybe its not as much the haunt stuff thats bothering me maybe its others from my past. I am in a struggle even here on hauntworld as to what to do. Do I allow a personal invasion on me or do I click a button? I have had some calls and has made me feel some better and I talked to Patti yesterday who is one of the sweetest people I know ( Lucky dog Larry!!) Anyway who knows but thanks for all the comments! Shane and it's I think the world of you guys! Shane this time.

P.S. Soul you made me laugh ( I needed it) I remember that dude from SNL again the good old days!
                      Last edited by graystone; 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Shane,

Hang in there...it gets rough this time of year on everyone....in every aspect of the industry So many hours, so little sleep, I've had times where I thought "why I am I killing myself to make this happen?" But the end product is the payoff. The passion drives you, and for everyone it can run low at times. I know its a whole different boat being the owner...but when the doors open and you hear the screams...you know you made it happen (with the help of your team). You'll pull through! Still waiting to hear back from you by the way...give me a call anytime...even if you need someone to vent to...I always do what I can for haunt family.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Shane I think we all feel your pain to some extent. This is what I call "Hell month" just because of all the stress and lack of sleep everyone goes thru for their event. But it's all about passion too. You have to want this to make it happen.

But I understand you are probly going thru more drama that most of us arent aware of.

Hang in there buddy, and I hope your show gets finished in the right amount of time.

BTW, I'm driving to Netherworld the 1st weekend in Novemeber. I gotta stop by and visit you for a while when Im in the area.
                          Brad Bowen
                          Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                          www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Mike....

And all you other guys and girls thanks for all your calls of concern. I am blessed and don't know what I would do without all of you. I am sure like anything else in time I will get over this slump! I guess I am just burned out and needed to vent and I knew if I did it here all my friends would listen with open ears and you have. Brad buddy you have no idea and I mean no idea. I would love for you to come down heck stop in Bama and ride the bus over to Ben's with me and my friends!!!!

Today is almost gone and just a memorie and tomorrow is a new day as well as a mystery. We will just see how it goes from there. 1 day at a time right? Shane and it's THANKS! Shane this time.
                            Last edited by graystone; 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Shane, hang in there brother!! I think anyone that owns a haunt goes through these feelings a lot, especially at this time of the year!! Someone said to me once, you are not a haunt owner unless you lay awake at 2am thinking to yourself why you are doing this....
                              www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Working...
                              X