Body Movements in movies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Movements in movies.

What are some good horror movies that show examples of monster body movements. Not like the CGI type monsters but like the ones from like Silent Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fungo#p/.../4/FoVO0JRmpHw

Does anyone else have some other bits of videos?

Aliens
    Pumpkinhead
    Cursed
    Bad moon
    Lord of the rings Two towers and Return of the king are best
    Castle freak
    Jack Brooks monster slayer
    Underworld
    the great yokai war
    Splinter (really good movement)
    Without taking a looong time those pop into my mind. But dont limit yourself to horror movies. I encourage my actors to watch animal documentaries, watch lions stalking wildebeasts and leopards stalking gazelles. Watch all big predators and scary animals. If you can trigger the primal prey animal in your guests then you win. Posture and movements from animals can be mimiced and are very effective.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thank you Allen. I never thought about studying animal posture. I will have to check some of those movies and will switch on the animal planet channel more often heh (more likely browse the youtube.)

Comment

Doesn't Work for me

Watching a film of a predator, how it moves, how it lunges to effect the kill.....Oh, wait, maybe I have to see more than just films about big snakes?
        The only snakey part of me can't quite do those things...anymore.
        Having the diamond-back pattern tatooed on me would hurt ALOT TOO!
        (How small do they make those needles?)
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I think many of those involved with movies have studied animals. There are several characters/creatures that I can recall walking around 10-30 feet away from the intended victim in a manner similar to a predator, just kind of studying the victim. Like a lion, it could have just attacked but there was something very creepy about it taking its time.

This is a great thread. I have been watching tons of haunt videos lately, and it looks like the actor-popping-out-and-surpising/scaring-the-victim thing is overdone. That's the standard in haunts, of course, but how much is enough? I have been through some very long haunts where there are dozens of such scares. After the first few it begins to lose its effectiveness, even if the theme of the rooms change. "Boo" or "Arrr" only works so many times. But walking into a setting and having the actor start to circle you from a short distance away, with head cocked to one side a little like he's sizing you up, that can be just downright chilling.

Comment

Awesome suggestion Allen, I am so going to get in touch with my inner animal! We have dress rehearsal on 9/25 and I'm going give this approach a try. I wonder about insect predators and how they stalk their prey....I would like to go with a completely nonhuman scarefactor and Jim I think to have a snake pattern done correctly you would need to go traditional, a hammer and sharpened boar tusk.

Comment

Detoro and many other directors and writers many times studied the animal world for inspiration so Allen's suggestion is really good. If you portraying a more human like killer I suggest watching the orginal Psycho, american psycho, house of 1000 corpses, and texas chainsaw massacre the orginal and even the remake as long as it has the former drill seargent in it. No matter what you are doing make sure you show intent in your eyes and actions even when wearing a mask alot of people will react to it because it will translate to how you move. Just don't go to far down the rabbit hole or you may have a hard time coming back >.<

If your wondering if you have intent if you can look at some one with no makeup on and with out saying a word but by just using your body face and eyes and convince them your about to remove their soul through their nostrils you got it.
              If your a playing a victim if you can convince someone of your fear with out using your voice then you got it, because fear is like a plague and spreads swiftly even to those unsuspecting. after this you add in the vocals and you have a convincing performance that can help your patrons suspend their usual grasp on reality.
              Proud to be able to work at
              http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

I wold encourage you to watch silent movies as the actors convey more emotion and over-exaggerated their movements due to lack of dialogue. Lon Chaney Sr was a master of it...
                http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I second the comment about animal movements. I used to do "field trips" with my actors to the zoo and we'd watch the way different predators and prey move and interact.

I think "Splinter" has some of the best body movement of any recent horror film.
                  Katie Lane
                  Partner/VP
                  Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                  sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

This Predator...

Sits in a comfortable chair, in a well lit, large room, with other people, the room is air-conditioned, clean.
                    The Actual predator can't really be picked out from the others in the room.
                    He makes up his mind, pushes the button..minutes later there is a small explosion on the other side of the planet, some people died.
                    The scariest predator you will ever not see in a zoo or a nature film, or ever see at all.

"So, let's see who's next on my list."
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

OO, never thought my lil innocent Q would get so much info heh. Thank you every single one of you. Also Badger, I've stumbled on Lon Chaney before while browsing Chaplin and the old special effect films. Thank you for reminding me of him.

Comment

Bruise Muse- Im shocked you found "splinter" thought it was excellent and there is great stuff on the extras.
                        One more suggestion the original Halloween. Myers defines the movements of the strong silent killer. Also watch Bela lugosi in "Son of Frankenstein" Really good physicality
                        John barrymore was great in dr jeckyl and mister hyde, I really study movement and talk alot about it when I teach. So I love this thread.
                        I hate to plug myself here but if you dont have it then you might want to grab my actor training DVD, I do talk some about movement in them moreso in the second one.
                        In my signature is a link to my website where you can grab it.
                        Allen H

www.stiltbeaststudios.com
                        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

@Allen: I'm a horror movie junkie and luckily Netflix is a great source of obscure and indie horror films. The 8 Films to Die For series have also supplied some great inspiration.
                          Katie Lane
                          Partner/VP
                          Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                          sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

I have noticed over the years that "stalking " around pacing around like you are nervously waiting for the right time to kill seem to unnerve the patrons. So I think the animal statement is very accurate .

@ Jim- As a tattoo artist I can assure you single tattoo needles are very small.... it's how many grouped together on the needle bar that need concern you. Is Jim afraid of needles?
                            @ allen and bruise- been a horror junkie all my life too.

Comment

I'm a &quot;Jumkie&quot; too.

I have owned piles and piles of it. Old sheet metal, steel, odd items from everything imaginable (almost)
                              My likes in horror movies goes backward in time to when I was a kid and the pictures seemed to shimmer and then come to life on the cave wall from the light from real flames.
                              Needles don't bother me, my skin has been ripped on a regular , on-going basis working with all kinds of tools from the time I was a very small kid. Tetnuus shots every summer.
                              Working with sheet metal, otherwise known as a great, big razor! Slice & dice!!
                              Walking up a very steep incline with nails held between my lips, hammer in-hand, carrying a 3 by 8 sheet of sheet metal, my body being helped by two barn ropes...I had a premonition the ropes were going to break? (They seemed like brand new) They both broke at the same time! (Rotted?) the sheet metal went from my hands, flipping , rotating a few times right infront of my face as nails, hammer and myself slid backwards, downstream!
                              All this was a tough "Horse" to get right back on, but I had to, no personal peons, no robot, no help from Mr. Say Tan (Lazy busturd!)
                              The work continued.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X