X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted Attraction Review

Hey All,
    Finally opened- HauntedAttractionReview.com
    is the number one website for reviews of Haunted Attractions in the Mid Atlantic region of the US!!!!

Your site does not appear to work at the moment
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

I definatly agree, You shouldn't judge a haunt from what a reviewer says. Go to it and see for yourself.
      Matthew Colton
      Frightworld America's Screampark
      http://www.frightworld.com/

Comment

It's Kind Of Silly.

A haunt can be a very fluid thing, changing from minute to minute with the patrons energy and the haunt actors energy (or lack of?)
        Have a couple small mechanical things quit, a bulb burn out, nobody sees the wonderfull new "Whatsit".
        Some people might think a haunt attraction is just like a big money machine, just turn it on and it runs itself and I guess if it was , it might be alot easier to judge it like taking a car for a test drive, metal pieces all machined to close tolerances, meshing with lubrication...would this describe most haunts?
        Sure it would......hahahaha!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Actually, we receive no funding from ANY attraction... We are totally non-profit and like many of you, love the Haunted Attraction industry for what it is, not the money it brings...

Once we start reviewing attractions, you'll notice that the information we provide consumers is made to help plan and make the most of their experience...

You'll find information such as: The best time/date to visit the attraction, ease of parking, pricing, and VIP packages...

We hope you give us a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
            Your site does not appear to work at the moment
            Just checked and the link should work... Here it is again...

http://www.hauntedattractionreview.com/

Comment

I agree about the reviewer sites for companies, but having someone review a haunt and then make a website about it is slightly rediculous. I have been doing this for 10+ years as an amateur, but would never even CONSIDER rating a haunt if I myself haven't ever operated or owned one.

As much as I don't like Larry, his magazine gives great reviews of haunts, because they're reviewed by those who have been in the industry for many years, and covers all aspects.

Just my .02

Comment

Also, the website isn't loading. Idk who your hosting is with, but you may want to consider someone more streamline like go daddy.

Comment

Here's my question to you guys. Doesn't the purpose of the rating site mostly dictate it's value or worth? There are to different opinions I'm hearing when I'm reading these post on this topic. Ratings by other industry professionals for other industry members or ratings by the public for the public which I think are both very valid.

1. Rating by Professionals for Professionals - These are the critiques of haunts by other haunt owners. Just like what HauntWorld and Haunted Attraction magazine provide. What haunt owners are doing that is bringing attention to their haunts and being critiqued by other haunts owners on innovation, design, and style.

2. Rating by the Public for the Public - These are the ratings by journalist working for any local newspaper, magazine, and online publication that gives their readers the opinion on where for this Halloween, if they have a family of 4 spending $15 dollars per person a total of $60 dollars for an hour of entertainment, where to get the most bang for their buck.

I don't think that you should have to be a haunt owner to write reviews of haunts for public publications. They have as much right to their opinion as anyone else considering their recommending what haunts to visit to get the most bang for their buck. But I agree with you if they want to write for an industry publication like HauntWorld or Haunted Attraction Magazine to rate and compare other haunts to one and another, then they should have a reasonable background working professionally in the haunt industry.

My day job is working in the entertainment industry mostly. I would never ask a journalist doing a review on a game for Microsoft or Sony if he/she has ever developed a 30 million dollar title before. I know he/she has probably played many video games before to be able to judge if the game he's reviewing for their publication sucks or not compared to the other games they've played.
                  News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                  Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

The Customer Reveiw Counts the most.

They vote with their dollars, we get to have a reward for our concentrated efforts.
                    Last night I said to a group:"Someday you might come driving passed my house and the front door might be off the house, your curiosity overcomes your fear, you look inside , nothing going on, nobody here." (Maybe I died?)
                    I am saying this to set up an effect , but at the tour's conclusion the one man said to me:"If I ever came here and found this place that way..a part of me would die inside."
                    I had just discovered quite the "Fan", obviously!
                    It must be something I did or said or built that he's found that he liked. ?
                    I would even consider his words to be quite a review, wouldn't you?
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel
                      Movie Relics,

You're right everyone DOES have an opinion, that doesn't mean they can't keep it to themselves creating a site and then saying they thought it wasn't worth the money or not scary enough or the parking lot was too far away is nothing more than a tool for a tool who can't do it for themselves and and hurts people's business for the sake of a power trip to be a part of it all.

There are review sites for movies etc, but they get mass funding and can always rely on DVD sales and rentals whereas a haunt does one thing, charge a ticket price for a all an too precious short period of time and we all work our fingers to the bone and are emotionally spent and then you have some guy come in who has no idea how hard this sh#t is and might rate it bad therefore swaying the public from trying for themselves and then the business owner suffers.

DA
                      Exactly my point as well. Why bother with a review site for haunts? And as Jim said, if it sucks, they'll notice in their pocket books. They don't need someone on a power trip trying to make a name for themselves. Now if the haunt sucks, are you going to offer up your lack of experience to help them improve? Or watch them burn. Very hypocritical if they don't themselves have the experience of operating a haunt. Anyone can toss a haunt up, but it's sustaining the business that shows true talent. We don't need someone putting their two cents in about a haunt. If it sucks? They'll fail. End of story.

Comment

I have attended haunts with fantastic reviews only to find out to ME they were horrible.

I have gone to haunts with terrible reviews and I thought were awesome!

SO....... I guess you will never know unless you go personally.

ON A ANOTHER NOTE:

I have owned major haunts in Ohio

I dont understand the comment on you have to own a haunt to rate a haunt. Give me a break.

Your customers do not own haunts either but they do give thier reviews.
                        CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS BEST CLUE ON HOW GOOD YOUR HAUNT IS. PERIOD!

SO I guess owning a haunt doesnt mean crap. The customers knows whats good or bad without the knowledge of owning a haunt.

Smasters
                        Last edited by smasters; 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I understand and totally agree with you that people will vote with the pocketbook. But I guess I keep going back to the fact that people are reviewers no matter what. When they tell their friends to go or not, they are reviewing you haunt. If they look up in a paper your review, then that may ultimately help them to choose which haunt they go to if they can only attend one particular haunt. If they go to a haunt and the review was good, but they thought it sucked, then they learned to ignore that reviewer. Just like movies. If I hear the critics think it sucks, then I will most likely like it kind of mentality. I think they can help guide people to you if they are undecided about visiting you or not and it's good free PR for your haunt.

Personally, at the end of the day, I think the ultimate review is the word of mouth recommendation to their friends. Printed reviews by media sites of haunts are good PR and free advertising (assuming they are good), but if I was a haunt owner, I'm more concerned about doing exit surveys of customers leaving my haunt to see what they liked and didn't like so I can improve it for next year. Just showing that level of care for your haunt to your customers will get them to return for next year and recommend you to other people.
                          News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                          Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel
                            Haunt suveys.....

Sounds like you're justifying your own existence! You reviewers act like you're actually needed and you're doing your civic duty by being righteous and reviewing haunts is your way of giving back.

It's simply not needed and if you were really that passionate about the haunt industry you'd be doing your own.

DA
                            Anyone that is willing to help out any haunt however they can for a positive effect is nothing but a good thing. You don't have to own a haunt to be passionate about the haunt industry. Otherwise, you saying that all the vendors that build great props for haunts, but don't own a haunt, are not passionate about this industry.

Comment

There have been many false assumptions made in this thread, including the following:

- You have to own a haunt in order to review one.
                              - If you don’t own a haunt, then you can’t be passionate about or benefit the Haunt Industry.
                              - Haunt reviewers are all leeches and freeloaders.
                              - Online Haunt Reviews have no value.

Saying that you have to own a haunt in order to review one is just plain absurd. As zombiephobe stated, you don’t have to be a chef to be a food critic, nor do you have to be a movie director to write a movie review. The same goes for haunted attractions. Haunt reviews are a customer’s way of letting you know what they enjoyed about your attraction, along with what they think could have been done better.

I want to make it clear that you also don’t have to own a haunt to be passionate about the industry or benefit it in some way. I am really sick of hearing that pompous attitude on this board. According to some people here, you’re worthless if you don’t own your own haunt. Poppycock!!! The fact is, there are many people who don’t own haunted houses, who make great contributions to the industry. Online ticketing companies make it easy and convenient for patrons to buy tickets, haunt vendors provide props for attractions, haunt directories provide a consolidated list of attractions for patrons to visit and review sites give patrons a better idea of what to expect, when visiting an attraction. How about haunted house builders, actors and make-up artists? They don’t own their haunt, yet they are all very valuable to the industry. Wait, let’s not forget home haunters, who are often those people who eventually turn pro.

I have been involved in the Haunted Industry for more than eleven years now. I love the industry so much that I created a website to promote Halloween and haunted attractions. In the off-season, I go to as many industry conventions and events as I can, then post picture galleries and reviews of them. I also spend countless hours each October, keeping my website up-to-date, so patrons know where in Illinois to go, if they want to visit a haunted attraction. With that being said, can anyone really question the passion I have for this industry or the value I provide? I don’t think so.

As for haunt reviewers being leeches or freeloaders, I’m sure there are some out there that are like that, but I think that is an unfair generalization. It definitely doesn’t apply to me. When I visit attractions, I don’t ask to get in for free. I pay the regular admission, just like every patron does. As a matter of fact, I don’t even announce myself, because I like to get the same show everyone else is getting. By the way, if you DO encounter a reviewer who tries to “freeload”, just don’t let them in for free. It’s that simple.

You are also mistaken if you feel that online haunt reviews have no value. Yes, consumers will make the final vote with their dollars, but haunt reviewers help people decide which events are best for them. Was there blood & gore? Were there adult themes? Was there a high scare factor? Potential patrons, especially those with small children, want to know these things, the same as a teenager would want to know if an attraction is too tame for their taste. So, are haunt reviews valuable? You bet! Every year, I get several emails from people, thanking me for posting my haunted attraction reviews. There are also a number of haunted house owners who use my reviews (and the constructive criticism in them) to make their shows even better the next season. Not only that, but haunt owners have told me that they like the additional exposure the haunt reviews give them. So with that being said, online reviews can be very valuable tools for both patrons and haunt owners alike.

Yes, I suppose there are those people out there who write reviews with the intention of slamming or discrediting an attraction and that is a real shame. I assure you that the reviews I write are as positive as possible and with the intention of promoting the haunt industry in general. Not all haunt reviewers are morally corrupt as some on this board have implied.

By the way, DA… I can understand why the owner of your haunt doesn’t want you to disclose the name/location of the attraction you work at. I wouldn’t want to be associated with your antagonistic, negative & insulting posts, either. LOL.
                              Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                              Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Working...
                              X