Spookywoods fx - fails to deliver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI,

Well, I received my costumes from Spookywoods. I hate to do this but I have to be honest here because I do not want anyone else to experience what I have gone through with this company.

Back in Feb I ordered 2 costumes from Spookywoodsfx, the Decayed Corpse and the Anubis and an extra set of hands.
    I paid ½ of the money at that time.
    I was promised the costumes in August 2010, September at the latest.
    I called in June to pay down more money, Krystal called me right back, I gave her permission to charge on my card.
    The costumes were almost finished at that time.
    August came and went, no costumes.
    Mark emailed me in Sept. the following emails.

9/4/2010
    Hi Sue, Krystal wanted me to let you know that we will be shipping your costumes out on our trip to the post office next week. Should she charge the same card?
    Thanks!
    Mark

Krystal called on the 4th asking for the rest of the payment because my costumes were ready and would be shipped out that Monday. I asked her for a receipt and a tracking number. She replied, no problem. The money was removed from my account 2 days later. I called on Monday to get the tracking number from Krystal, she never did answer the phone nor answer my emails nor did she ever call me back with any information at all. So now I was getting pretty worried.

I then received this email from Mark on the 15th of Sept.
    9/15/2010
    Hi Sue, sorry for the email if you have already spoke to Krystal today. I screwed up. I didn't have your gloves finished today, thought I did. Costumes are ready now we are waiting on ME. I'll be finishing up the sets in the next day or so….

OK So I am OK at this point. Mark tells me that my costumes are finished and complete and that he is waiting for a set of hands to finish.
    My money is gone and I had no costumes at this point until yesterday. My costumes, thanks to Tony, arrived in the mail. The only problem is not all of the pieces arrived. The following is a list of parts that are missing from my Anubis and Decayed corpse costumes. Now remember, MY COSTUMES ARE FINISHED, this was told to me by both Krystal and Mark that my costumes are done.

1. I have no Anubis head! Oh my, no mask! What good is the body without a head.
    2. A set of hands
    3. All the detail on the Decayed Corpse ie. Moss and torn flesh
    4. Two black out masks
    5. The Ankh necklace for the Anubis
    6. The decorated latex flap that goes over the skirt at the front of the Anubis costume

I have in my possession an Egyptian Soldier that I ordered, and received without any problem, last year from Mark and Krystal. The quality and detail is perfect. The costumes I received yesterday are a much thinner latex, the paint job is quite different, more grey then the brown like that of the Soldier. The Decayed Corpse has little detail compared to the picture. I still have no receipt for any costume. I bought some moss to put on the Decayed Corpse and hopefully I can get some instruction to paint a bit more detail on them. But I do want to say that even though what I received seems a bit less than that of the costume before Marks work is still amazing. He still is such a huge talent and such a fantastic artist. I hope and pray that I will someday receive the rest of the parts to my costumes. Had it not been for Tony I would not have what I have! He mailed them to me. Again, Tony has nothing to do with Spookywoodsfx anymore, he was just trying to help.

Sue

However I did just receive this email. So they are working on the costumes and will get everything out as soon as possible.

Hey Sue,
    I will get them out as soon as possible, I’m aiming for this week. I’m sorry everything is taking so long, like I said before, I usually only do the office work, so I was thrown into this and had to learn really quick like. If you wouldn’t mind, make sure I did not send you a set of gloves that were both for the same hand, I did someone, trying to figure out who it was.
    Thanks,
    Krystal Goodson
    Last edited by terrormasue; 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM.
    http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Sad

I was afraid that would happen. Lot's of times vendors do that so they can say "hey I shipped it" Shane and it's sad just plain sad! Shane this time!
      sigpic

Comment

Wow just Wow, to bad too because the costumes looked to be awesome. I don't think you will see this company around any more.
        Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

This is too bad. I think the costumes theme and concept is very cool. No matter how cool the design is its not worth 2 cents if you can't complete the illusion.
          I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrormasue View Post
            FYI,

Well, I received my costumes from Spookywoods. I hate to do this but I have to be honest here because I do not want anyone else to experience what I have gone through with this company.

Back in Feb I ordered 2 costumes from Spookywoodsfx, the Decayed Corpse and the Anubis and an extra set of hands.
            I paid ½ of the money at that time.
            I was promised the costumes in August 2010, September at the latest.
            I called in June to pay down more money, Krystal called me right back, I gave her permission to charge on my card.
            The costumes were almost finished at that time.
            August came and went, no costumes.
            Mark emailed me in Sept. the following emails.

9/4/2010
            Hi Sue, Krystal wanted me to let you know that we will be shipping your costumes out on our trip to the post office next week. Should she charge the same card?
            Thanks!
            Mark

Krystal called on the 4th asking for the rest of the payment because my costumes were ready and would be shipped out that Monday. I asked her for a receipt and a tracking number. She replied, no problem. The money was removed from my account 2 days later. I called on Monday to get the tracking number from Krystal, she never did answer the phone nor answer my emails nor did she ever call me back with any information at all. So now I was getting pretty worried.

I then received this email from Mark on the 15th of Sept.
            9/15/2010
            Hi Sue, sorry for the email if you have already spoke to Krystal today. I screwed up. I didn't have your gloves finished today, thought I did. Costumes are ready now we are waiting on ME. I'll be finishing up the sets in the next day or so….

OK So I am OK at this point. Mark tells me that my costumes are finished and complete and that he is waiting for a set of hands to finish. He promised me an extra set of hands.

My money is gone and I had no costumes at this point until yesterday. My costumes, thanks to Tony, arrived in the mail. The only problem is not all of the pieces arrived. The following is a list of parts that are missing from my Anubis and Decayed corpse costumes. Now remember, MY COSTUMES ARE FINISHED, this was told to me by both Krystal and Mark that my costumes are done.

1. I have no Anubis head! Oh my, no mask! What good is the body without a head.
            2. The extra set of hands I was promised
            3. All the detail on the Decayed Corpse ie. Moss and torn flesh and poor paint job
            4. Two black out masks
            5. The Aunk necklace for the Anubis
            6. The decorated latex flap that goes over the skirt at the front of the Anubis costume

I have in my possession an Egyptian Soldier that I ordered, and received without any problem, last year from Mark and Krystal. The quality and detail is perfect. The costumes I received yesterday are a much thinner latex, the paint job is quite different, more grey then the brown like that of the Soldier. The Decayed Corpse has little detail compared to the picture. I still have no receipt for any costume. I bought some moss to put on the Decayed Corpse and hopefully I can get some instruction to paint a bit more detail on them. But I do want to say that even though what I received seems a bit less than that of the costume before Marks work is still amazing. He still is such a huge talent and such a fantastic artist. I hope and pray that I will someday receive the rest of the parts to my costumes. Had it not been for Tony I would not have what I have! He mailed them to me. Again, Tony has nothing to do with Spookywoodsfx anymore, he was just trying to help.

Sue

However I did just receive this email. So they are working on the costumes and will get everything out as soon as possible.

Hey Sue,
            I will get them out as soon as possible, I’m aiming for this week. I’m sorry everything is taking so long, like I said before, I usually only do the office work, so I was thrown into this and had to learn really quick like. If you wouldn’t mind, make sure I did not send you a set of gloves that were both for the same hand, I did someone, trying to figure out who it was.
            Thanks,
            Krystal Goodson
            WOW...hope it works out, I'm sure its to late though
            Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Even if they did manage to keep their head affloat for a while they have a bad rep as a vendor. Who in the hell would order from them ever again. Unless they just get random people off the net who dont know anything about all this. That is horrible! And I feel they should be held accountable. I know I would be pissed to shell out that kind of money and not get anything in return as everyone on this thread has practically.
              Damon
              Damon Carson

Comment

Larry, I realize I'm new and I am probably not the one you want to hear from. I have watched everything transpire between Spookywoods and the haunt owners. I must say I really like the costumes Spookwoods make. I went to their website and there was a note on there for problems contact Krystal. So, I did contact her and she contacted in return twice in the same day. This was just a few days ago. She was very sweet, funny and businesslike. She told me she had 5 left and to let her know which ones I was interested in and she'd quote me a price and she contacted me again and made me a good deal. No money has changed hands as I evidently upset a few owners by even thinking about ordering so I backed off, but I'd really like to have the costumes. I can order using my debit card and I have 50 days to decide whether or not I'm satisfied with the progress and if not I can get my money back. At the same time she told me she was only charging half down from now on and have when the item was ready to ship.

Comment

Extreme Evil,
                  What are you apologizing for?
                  If you like the product and are aware of the circumstances and feel you are being treated fairly why wouldn't you go through with it. 50% upfront, and the balance on delivery is a good way to do business.
                  Like I said before Mark and Krystal are good people, just in a rough situation.
                  But as long as you have an understanding and feel secure in that then it is no one else's concern.
                  Kevin R. Alvey
                  info at gore-galore.com
                  www.gore-galore.com
                  www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                  www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                  www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Kevin

I like Mark too but why would you encourage someone to go ahead and put a deposit down when several have not got theirs inculding myself? Thanks buddy for the slap in the face to those who has recived nothing. I ordered and paid in Feb and not a thing not even a call so I can't say they have lied they have just ignored me all together.

As a vendor I would think you would stay on the sideline because with all thats went on from vendors this year you are gonna see the effects too! Your a good vendor and I promise you that it's going to effect you. This has went on long enough. I WILL TELL ANYONE DO NOT BUY FROM A COMPANY THAT CAN NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR PAST RESPONSIBILITIES! Shane and it's feeing screwed yet again! Shane this time!|

Let me add this the "bad situation" excuse has been over used. People know when they can't get out of a hole and they keep using the" it was a bad year, we over commited, we this, we that", I sure as hell don't see these people offering and sending money back! Why? because they know they can get away with it and come TransWorld we will act like a kid in a candy store and forget about what happened this past year! Not this time baby! Shane has got something that's going to bring a new meaning to how buyers in this Indusrey are treated and why you ask? Because I got the time, money and the reason to! Stay posted folks! 2011 will be the year of change!
                    Last edited by graystone; 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Yes, please do purchase the costume

Extreme,

I am one of the those who paid up front for a costume and never got it. A few weeks ago, I gave up and told them to just issue me a full refund, since I never got a costume. If you go ahead and purchase the costume, then they will have the money to send me my refund, so yes, please go ahead, by all means.

I do understand that they have had a rough time, and they seem to be good people. However, we still have a business to run, and when you pay for something in full, months in advance, by now we should have had a costume, or as we requested a few weeks ago, a full refund.

Now having said that, if we don't receive our refund, and we never got a costume, and you get one....... Then I would be extremely upset (no pun intended) with them, not you.
                      Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
                      Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
                      www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

• Being pulled under

Originally posted by extreme evil View Post
                        Larry, I realize I'm new and I am probably not the one you want to hear from. I have watched everything transpire between Spookywoods and the haunt owners. I must say I really like the costumes Spookwoods make. I went to their website and there was a note on there for problems contact Krystal. So, I did contact her and she contacted in return twice in the same day. This was just a few days ago. She was very sweet, funny and businesslike. She told me she had 5 left and to let her know which ones I was interested in and she'd quote me a price and she contacted me again and made me a good deal. No money has changed hands as I evidently upset a few owners by even thinking about ordering so I backed off, but I'd really like to have the costumes. I can order using my debit card and I have 50 days to decide whether or not I'm satisfied with the progress and if not I can get my money back. At the same time she told me she was only charging half down from now on and have when the item was ready to ship.
                        Man you are being pulled under the water... They are good at taking orders it is just delivering the goods that seems to be the issue....

Comment

• WOW OMG! WOW........There is nothing else I can say right now.........
                          http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

• My costume arrived today and I have to say that the quality is good. It's unfortunate we will only get one weekend with it, but I am glad we got it. There are items I've paid for from other vendors and just never seen, so at this point, Spookywoods FX is better than those vendors.
                            Brett Hays, Director
                            Fear Fair
                            www.fearfair.com

Comment

• My Last Stand

Wow,
                              Shane,
                              You sound like a politician.

Besides that you have good points, but things are not as simple as you want to make them.
                              You are speaking from emotion. Justifiable but emotion just the same.

It is very simple, if the roles were reversed how would you want to be treated. (EMPATHY: trying to understand how another person feels, or their struggle)

Lets go over this again.
                              Please consider this as a possibility.
                              Mark had heart surgery. FACT and not that long ago.
                              Talk about being incapacitated for a long time.
                              But he loves what he does, and it is his means of making a living besides working at Spookywoods Haunted Attraction. I don't know if he has a day job.
                              What if he and his wife have no other means of making a living. So, Mark has to teach his wife to cast, paint, etc to make ends meet because he can't work 12 to 16 hours a day anymore.
                              Even with ALL of that. They have no excuse to not take care of business if they are taking peoples money. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE!
                              But they got into a situation they have to fight out of.
                              Customers, such as yourself and many other wonderful well intentioned buyers, got stuck in the middle of this sad situation.

But being nasty with them will not get you your order. Patience is the call for the day.
                              You have every right to demand your money back, and you have every right to be upset.
                              However, here is the catch. Being a jerk will not get you your money back.
                              But Patience will get you your order, and a super grateful thank you for your support and patience. Of course not when you wanted it. And that really sucks.
                              I mean sucks!
                              But that is the way it is at this moment.
                              It still sucks. But rather than busting his nuts about it.
                              Give them a little break.
                              We could all use one.
                              Be Patient and they will get your order done for you, one costume at a time.

Mark and Krystal,
                              All I can say is don't make me look like a Jerk by standing behind you and showing my support.
                              I know you are good people just trying to be creative and make a living.
                              Honestly, I know what that means right now and that may still be trying to pay past hospital bills if you were self employed when the hospital stay happened since you may have had no insurance.

I really don't begrudge anyone your feelings over not getting your costume. You have every right to be upset. Every right!
                              But being nasty about it really doesn't solve the situation. It just makes it worse for everyone.

Business and life is pretty simple for me.
                              Be creative.
                              learn from my mistakes.
                              live each day intentionally, as best as I can.
                              try to run an honorable business, and live an honorable life.
                              Don't make promises I can't keep.
                              take personal responsibility for my personal and my business actions.
                              have empathy for others.

That is ALL I can do.
                              This is my very last post regarding this subject.
                              Last edited by Gore Galore; 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM.
                              Kevin R. Alvey
                              info at gore-galore.com
                              www.gore-galore.com
                              www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                              www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                              www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

• Kevin,

I have to tell you that I do NOT AGREE WITH ANYTHING YOU SAID NOT AT ALL... you almost sound like you bought into his company and now you are part owner or something.

No lets review the facts and get them straight...

Mark had surgery a long long long time ago... that is not the excuse.

Mark got onto message boards and started advertising SALES for his costumes, he took money, and he didn't deliver to some at all and to others what the weekend before Halloween.

He even advertised things for sale that he supposedly had for sale just laying around the shop and didn't deliver... I will keep that person nameless but lets just say he has a major haunted house in the Southeast.

Lastly Mark was sending emails out to people starting with myself asking if they needed any suits not that long ago maybe as few as 8 weeks ago... I know because I got one of them back in something like August asking ME if I wanted to make some orders.

Now tell me how do you blame that on heart surgery, how to make up excuses for that... give me a break.

8 10 weeks ago you should have been making suits and trying to fill the orders you already had not trying to get even more orders...

Bottom line and its really simple... when this WHOLE THING STARTED and it was just around the time my haunts opened I got an email from Mark asking if I could delete all this stuff.

I GOT MY ASS ON THIS FORUM and defended him just like you are doing NOW... I got slammed danced by other haunted house owners. The reason I stepped in is because I assumed he was a stand up guy that would CONTACT EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE people and let me know I'm working day and night and will get your stuff out any day.

He made ONE post on this forum saying he was going to get stuff done he watched one person after another make claims they would not return emails, phone calls or even calm things down here...

We ALL KNOW we ALL make mistakes I make them all the time, we make mistakes on orders as well, and I'm sure you yourself... but when you get phone calls, emails, or heck hundreds of posts here you don't let your FORMER partner come on here and defend you by saying he's no longer part of the company.

There is NO EXCUSE YOU SHOULD BE MAKING here... period.

I got pounced on and made to look like a dumba** for deleting entire threads of complaints on the guy, defending him, and more... he made me look like an idiot!

A couple days ago somebody slammed SPFX, I gave him the opportunity to identify himself he didn't, so that thread got deleted. If someone slammed your company, I would defend you as well, and let you handle it while getting rid of the thread because I know you are not trying to screw people.

There would just have to be a logical reason for the problem...

I would believe you would not do something like that you have a track record that speaks for itself... however in this situation its not justifiable for you or anyone else to stand up for Mark and his company.

Not based on the facts!

Larry

PS: Just so you and everyone understands my position is that I think everyone can and will make mistakes, and they should NOT be posted on this forum and beat into the ground. I also deleted the thread about Fright World and all their problems. I have deleted numerous threads about vendors and more because its simply NOT right to bash on vendors or haunt owners for simple mistakes, let people or give people the opportunity to correct them. But then you have cases like this one where it seems like little attempt was made while several emails and phone calls got ignored. This is one of those cases in my opinion where there is just no excuse.

Lastly, I would say to Mark that he clearly has skills at creating cool things, when he was partnered with Tony this DID NOT HAPPEN at all... when Tony was involved they sold hundreds of suit and everything was delivered on time. If he wants to salvage his business he should consider running the business like Tony did when he was a partner and or beg Tony to get back involved which I'm sure he would not. Mark you have talent but when you flat out ignore people this is what happens.

I would bet ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY... that had Mark called all these people and said 'I'm sorry I let you down, I have no money, I'm still paying off hospital bills or whatever, but I'm not going to let you down would you KILL me if I still made good on the suits even though its going to take me a lot longer than I promised'... every one of these people would have been mad but probably said OKAY. Then we would NOT have seen this nonsense.

Next time COMMUNICATE WITH EVERYONE BE HONEST... you can't do it, you are working full time at Spookywoods haunt, whatever be honest and communicate and you will probably find a sympathetic ear.
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President
                                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X