The Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cave

Hey there, Ethan from Hundred Acres Manor here =) Just wanted to share some photos of the cave we installed this summer down at the manor with all of you guys. I am sorry that they are not the best of photos, they were taken during construction and test lighting. I am gonna grab some operational photos and additional interior photos this weekend of the cave and add them to this post ASAP.

"The cave is 110', with 3000 sq ft of natural rock walls and stalactites in thick layers. A skylighted pool enhances the effect with ripples of reflected light against the jagged ceiling. Real caves get scary when all sense of vertical and horizontal surfaces disappear. To achieve this effect without compromising patron safety, the architecture works a dielectic between icosahedral and geodesic superstructures. Indirect floods, positioned behind stalactites and ceiling outcroppings, accentuate the staggered orthogonal planes to create a visual geometry that could be called Lovecraftian." -Tomac

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and have a happy and safe haunting season!

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hundred Acres Manor; 09-22-2010, 09:52 AM.
    www.HundredAcresManor.com

wow....

That is sooooooooo cool.

How durable is the cave wall ?

How many years do you expect it to last with the elements ?

Impressive.
    Michael Bruner

The National Haunters Convention - OVER 100 vendor booths!
    Valley Forge, PA
    http://www.nationalhauntersconvention.com

The Cadavers Cotillion
    http://www.cadaverscotillion.com

Get behind the scenes tours to the best haunted attractions!
    http://www.haunttour.com

`

Comment

That is amazing...great work!
      http://darkscares.com/

sigpic

Comment

Looks like

"the alps" roller coaster at willow grove amusement park (back in the day) WILLOW GROVE, PA.

Comment

Durability =)

Originally posted by TheMonsterMaze View Post
          That is sooooooooo cool.

How durable is the cave wall ?

How many years do you expect it to last with the elements ?

Impressive.

The cave was designed to withstand Pittsburgh winters....so anything from -10 below temperatures...freeze and thaws...as well as 3 foot of snow. The super-structure of the cave is treated lumber backed by pieces of treated ply cut into 8ft by 8in strips. As you know all weather conditions can not be predicted so we plan for the worst, hope for the best, and should there be an issue...pull out the torch and roto-zip lol. If anything fails I would assume it to be the actual paneling due to the manipulation during build out. Not so much the vertical but the horizontal roof sections in the galleries. I don't look forward to repairing it if necessary, lol. Fingers crossed...but for sure it may need some TLC after a few seasons but that is half the fun isn't it lol... =)

-Ethan

Comment

Caves look awesome!
            *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

*suddenly feels the urge to take our cave pictures down*

instructional videos? what is it made of? what did you coat it with?

Comment

Cave Construction

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                *suddenly feels the urge to take our cave pictures down*

instructional videos? what is it made of? what did you coat it with?
                Hi there Zachary,

The cave is a custom project that truly was quite the interesting clusterfuck of crazy lol. Believe it or not the caves base construction was nothing more than a "hot mess" lol or 2 by 4's intentionally put together to be anything but square (but certainly stable and safe). We then covered the frame (that looked like a roller coaster) lol with pieces of ply to allow attachment points of the paneling. Tomac the sculpted us two custom panels (cave interior and stalactites) that we roto-ziped, torched, bent, and placed on the super structure to achieve the finished effect. I have attached a construction photo so you can see how this all fit together. I have also attached photos of similar past projects at our haunt (the facade). Thank you very much for your comment and I hope that you have a happy, successful, and safe Halloween season.

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Hundred Acres Manor; 10-19-2010, 05:26 AM.

Comment

so Tomac made the cave, and you made it fit?

Comment

New Cave Photo

New pic of the cave during operation. Hope everyone is having a great haunting season!

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was at hundred acres Manor on Sunday and the cave looks AWESOME! I would highly recommend everyone who can to go out and see it...
                      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Thanks Badger!

Thanks for stopping by the manor this weekend. Hope you enjoyed the show and had a safe trip back home. I hope to see you at Transworld this year.

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon

Comment

NICE JOB! Love it!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks Larry

Hey Larry,

Thanks very much! Hope the darkness is having an awesome Halloween season. Also, thank you very very much for the article as well as choosing Hundred Acres as one of your top 31. Very much appreciated and I look forward to visiting your haunt again during Transworld this year.

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon

Comment

Spent my college Summers as a National Park Service Ranger at the world's longest cave, Mammoth Cave National Park. I can tell you that photos two and three look like real stalactites and stalagmights. If you haven't visited MACA you're missing out, especially haunters.

The single experience in my life that I think may have been supernatural was in the cave, what I experienced was only audible but my gut was that it wasn't natural. You get very used to the dark and very comfortable with being isolated in it when you're in the cave, you become hard to scare, even to startle. There's a spot on the Historic route the guides call "the hiding hole" [really creative name]

Tours have two guides a lead and trailer that brings up the rear and ensures we leave no one behind. Sometimes as trailer we'll scout ahead and wait for the tail end to catch back up, it's dark and there are around 100 people in the tour group so if you don't want to be noticed you're not. Often I'd go wait in the hiding hole and just stand there, not make a sound. About every 7th or 8th person would invariably look your direction and scream bloody murder.

Good times. BTW, if people ask you can tell them that stalactites hold Tight to the ceiling, and stalagmites, Might grow to the ceiling some day. Way to tell them apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X