Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic Green Slime

Greetings fellow Haunters,

We're doing an industrial "accident" wasteland theme this year and I'd love to hear some ideas for creating toxic slime, if it could glow and drip that'd be cool, but even if it was just slimy looking and easy to decorate walls, doorways, floors and stuff. I was thinking maybe using expandafoam and then painting with fluorescent green paint then a coat of high gloss to give it some sheen. Not sure, most of the fluorescent paint we've used in the past hasn't been very bright or "glowy". Love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

Randy
    Last edited by rshorts; 09-22-2010, 02:34 PM.

Have you ever tried dayglo? Its awesome!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Comment

I'll look into it. Is that a brand name or a kind of paint? NEvermind. Found the website - looks like cool stuff, a little pricey, but I kinda figured that'd be the case with fluorescing paint. :0)

Thanks!
      Last edited by rshorts; 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

We use Great Stuff foam and after it's cured spray it with flourecent spray paint. It's not an AMAZING look... but it certainly looks cool under black light and gets the job done!
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Mix gorilla glue with water and drip it where you want, it will foam up nicely and then you can paint and poly urethane it.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Cfx

Thin cfx sells slime, might wanna check with them should you decide not to make anything.

Chris
            Chris Stafford
            1331 Entertainment Group
            Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
            13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
            13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

I've seen people do really cool things with the whole "toxic slime" idea... here is one that I really like.

Take a string of white Christmas lights and tie them down to a desired doorway, barrel, etc etc. Cover them using Great Stuff expanding foam, get in some good drips so it really looks like radioactive ooze. Paint the whole thing with a coat of fluorescent green and voila! Glowing, goopy slime.
              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Comment

That's a very cool idea, so instead of relying on lighting from the outside it glows from the inside out? That is very cool. I assume you need to keep the coat of foam fairly light so the light will shine through? Are there any concerns with covering the lights as far as a fire hazard? I wanna be sure I don't alienate my fire inspector... Thanks for the advice everyone! Great ideas as always!

Randy

Comment

To alleviate concerns with heat (and appease your fire inspector), I recommend using LED Christmas lights. Although they are a bit more expensive up front, they produce almost zero heat, use little power, and last forever so you don't have to tear your prop up to replace a single bulb that blows out.

Some more ideas -
                  1. Use strings of lights that have a flash or pulse feature to get that nice rolling, glowing effect.
                  2. Place the "slime" around the edge of a barrel that has a fog machine and some extra lights in it .... a glowing, smoking toxic barrel of doom!
                  3. Radioactive warning signs really help sell the effect.

As far as the thickness over the lights just do a regular, single coat. The lights are strong enough to penetrate after the foam expansion.
                  I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Comment

Sounds great! Thanks for the led idea. We're totally stoked about this green slime and toxic goo and gas all over the haunt. You guys are the best! Thanks!

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X