Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-4 weeks for the fire dept to check blueprints? REALLY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 weeks for the fire dept to check blueprints? REALLY?

Is it usual and customery for a local fire dept to take 3-4 weeks before they can review blueprints for a haunted house event?

File this under

Payoffs "R" US...... THIS IS POPPYCOCK !!!! IT SHOULD NEVER TAKE THAT LONG. WEEK AT THE MOST.

Comment

agreed, even with a major city and a county fairgrounds we had the fire dept look at our plans and get back to us within a week. granted, they made us re-write them a few times, but they need to give you a meeting ASAP so that you have time to correct anything they arent happy with. What city/state?
      In the Shadows...We are Legion

Comment

re: City and State

Largo, Florida . . .

Comment

Don't these idiots know......

that..... you gotta get open ? gimmie a break..... there's something wrong here....... common sense rules here. These people you speak of don't have it...... In all seriousness, Good Luck, man......

Comment

chucks right, this sounds like more of a, "if we put them off long enough, they'll go away" kind of attitude. I've not met many fire dept.'s that are fans of haunted attractions (don't get me wrong, there are some) and I've heard of less than happy depts. doing things like this...stall tactics, massive blueprint overhauls, issues with fire exits etc to discourage and sometimes derail projects, so that may be what you are dealing with. I work closely with a major metropolitan PD when it comes to my day to day job, and I can tell you un-equivocally that if they, or other city departments do not want something to happen in their community, they will drag their feet until you light a fire under their ass. I suggest contacting city hall and explaining the situation.

Try and find a sympathetic person that will help you get the ball rolling.

If that doesn't work approach the city prosecutors and explain that you are an employer that owns a seasonal business and a city department is impeding your civil liberty by way of affecting your ability to make a living. obviously you don't want a court fight over something as minor as moving an inspection closer, but prosecutors know the law and understand that affecting a law abiding citizens' livelihood is bad publicity and can sometimes get stubborn commanders to get off their haunches and make things happen.

just some thoughts, if they dont apply - disregard lol

good luck, keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Octoberalles View Post
              ...."if we put them off long enough, they'll go away" kind of attitude. I've not met many fire dept.'s that are fans of haunted attractions (don't get me wrong, there are some) and I've heard of less than happy depts. doing things like this...stall tactics, massive blueprint overhauls, issues with fire exits etc to discourage and sometimes derail projects, so that may be what you are dealing with.
              This is the first thought that came to me as I was reading your post. I had some pretty bad problems with the Fire Marshall in my previous city, and we decided to move to a larger city that has less stringent rules, and it was a great move.

1 very important note on this, is that if there are other haunts in your city or an adjecent city, make sure you get treated equally as they are. If the inspectors try to enforce something on you, make sure the other haunt is doing the same thing. If not, you have a case and reason to fight it if needed.

If that doesn't work approach the city prosecutors and explain that you are an employer that owns a seasonal business and a city department is impeding your civil liberty by way of affecting your ability to make a living. obviously you don't want a court fight over something as minor as moving an inspection closer, but prosecutors know the law and understand that affecting a law abiding citizens' livelihood is bad publicity and can sometimes get stubborn commanders to get off their haunches and make things happen.
              As far as this goes, you have full right to appraoch the city about these problems, and you have a very good case if the fire dept seems like they are trying to stall you out.

But be careful to not upset the wrong people. The fire inspectors may legally have to speed he process up, but they could come in and enforce every rule out there, and take those rules to the fullest extent.

Some laws and codes are written very loosely, meaning they can be translated a few different ways. The inspectors could interperet those codes in a way to force you to spend more money or time than what would really be needed.

Be enforsive on this issue, but be cautious.
              Brad Bowen
              Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

also an excellent point! pissing off the wrong person could put an end to it altogether, but if its a seasonal haunt, and he waits the four weeks...he's looking at (bear minimum) Oct. 13th to get the blueprints looked at which wouldn't seem to leave him much time to really get things set up (speculation of course). Though, if its a permanent spot I would 100% agree with being ultra cautious as Brad posted.

Comment

It should not take that long I have had my blue prints from start of submission to the approval in about 3 weeks and that included structural, electrical, ada and fire.

Comment

what's going on?????

any luck with these problems? keep us posted. I think we're all curious to know....... good luck.

Comment

yea for me when i went to apply to the city they made us do a whole site plan on a building that was already there which took two weeks then they wanted us to do an interior plan for the fire department which was understandable but they wanted it done before we had anything even started building. I am going to school for firefighting and have spoke with the fire inspectors many times but the building inspectors were the ones that were causing all the issues
                      Kyle Guillette
                      Dysfunctional Concepts-Haunted Alaskan Motel

Comment

chucks right, this sounds like more of a, "if we put them off long enough, they'll go away" kind of attitude. I've not met many fire dept.'s that are fans of haunted attractions (don't get me wrong, there are some) and I've heard of less than happy depts. doing things like this...stall tactics, massive blueprint overhauls, issues with fire exits etc to discourage and sometimes derail projects, so that may be what you are dealing with. I work closely with a major metropolitan PD when it comes to my day to day job, and I can tell you un-equivocally that if they, or other city departments do not want something to happen in their community, they will drag their feet until you light a fire under their ass. I suggest contacting city hall and explaining the situation.

just some thoughts, if they dont apply - disregard lol

good luck, keep us updated.
                        This is the most intelligent bit of writing ever posted on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                          This is the first thought that came to me as I was reading your post. I had some pretty bad problems with the Fire Marshall in my previous city, and we decided to move to a larger city that has less stringent rules, and it was a great move.

1 very important note on this, is that if there are other haunts in your city or an adjecent city, make sure you get treated equally as they are. If the inspectors try to enforce something on you, make sure the other haunt is doing the same thing. If not, you have a case and reason to fight it if needed.

As far as this goes, you have full right to appraoch the city about these problems, and you have a very good case if the fire dept seems like they are trying to stall you out.

But be careful to not upset the wrong people. The fire inspectors may legally have to speed he process up, but they could come in and enforce every rule out there, and take those rules to the fullest extent.

Some laws and codes are written very loosely, meaning they can be translated a few different ways. The inspectors could interperet those codes in a way to force you to spend more money or time than what would really be needed.

Be enforsive on this issue, but be cautious.
                          ...and this part about not pissing on the wrong foot, sage advice. The smaller the town the bigger the jack assness, sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                          X