It's time for change!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time for change!!!!!!!!!

This week I have been sick and running around in a town that don't even have my own bank branch to get a vendor paid. It's been insane! This has me thinking so far this year I have been taken from what appears to be three vendors and trust me the world will know in due time. With me being out of town one vendor prefers his policy of I don't ship till its paid in full. Whats wrong with this picture? Well I will tell you I AM SICK AND TIRED OF TRUSTING SOME VENDORS ONLY TO BE SCREWED OR NOT GET THE SAME RESPECT AND TRUST I GAVE THE VENDOR. It's a slap in the face to say well you can trust me with your money but I will not trust you with the balance after you have recieved the product? I am expected to trust them with half my money but I can't get the same respect with the company sending my products then have me mail them the remainder of the balance. Its supposed to be 50/50 not me as a buyer taking all the gamble. Again this is about alot of vendors with this policy.

Some vendors will say well I have tried this and have got screwed well ok so have many of us as buyers its a gamble on both parts. This Indusrty needs to change and I say TransWorld should step up to the plate for starters and not allow these guys into the show. When I say these guys I mean the ones with a history of bad service and repeated complaints. I have have had so many call's from people who think I can help them and I can surly try but guys Shane is in the same boat as you but I will fight for fair treatment.

So heres the deal from here on out IF YOUR A VENDOR AND YOU CAN'T TRUST ME THEN I WILL AND I REPEATE WILL NOT BE DOING BUSINESS WITH YOUR COMPANY. If your a vendor who has had compalints aginst them time and time again I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU. I am tired of paying deposits only to be calling in late September to find out where my products are. It's time for these Vendors to take the gamble too. If they don't have enough business capitol to take a risk JUST AS I DO then that tells me I need to look at another company. I prefer to pay in cash or check I will also be more than glad to pay 100% up front with the understanding DO NOT CASH MY CHECK TILL THE WEEK BEFORE SHIPPING. I say a week because this gives the vendor a week for the check to clear if they don't know you.

I also want to commend the following companies these are companies that I give deposits to at the show and they ship my orders and after I get my products I mail them a check. I do this with the following..

Poison Props
    Unit 70
    Nethercraft
    Froggys Fog
    Screamline
    There are a few others but those were off the top of my head. I have the upmost respect for these guys and have never ONCE had a problem with them and they can say the same with me.

Bottom line here people this is past business that's not cutting it this is about trust and respect. I think this coming year will be a new day there will be companies that will lose business because us buyers we have been there and done that and its time to meet in the middle. Half down and the balence when product is in hand. Some don't want to do this because they know what you seen at the show is not what you will get when its delivered. HAUNT INDUSTRY IT'S TIME FOR US BUYERS TO STICK TOGETHER AND UNITE AS ONE! Shane and its I will lead the way. Shane this time!
    Last edited by graystone; 09-23-2010, 10:55 PM.
    sigpic

Accountability is key here... in any other industry vendors that do not deliver the requested product per the agreed upon timetable do NOT stay in business. It can be easy, as a vendor, to get so excited about an influx of orders that you over-promise and under-deliver. In this case, honesty with customers is critical and unfortunately seems to be lacking.

I definitely support a "recommended vendor list", with the characteristics being top notch service and quality props.
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Comment

Shane I agree with you 100%. Haunt Company Review is going to try to do just that!. When the season is over we can all get on the band wagon and try to put a stop to this vendor issue. It looks like I am out several thousand and I can't absorb that. I am a very small fish in a large stock pond. I'll get eaten up pretty quick........

Sue
      http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

I want to.....

Make it clear not all vendors are bad in this industry I just want some vendors to change their policy's because we as buyers are talking all the gamble and the vendors take NONE. I will also say the companies I listed above does just that they trust us just as we trust them its a perfect match. This guarantees our products in a timely manner and it guarantees their payment in a timely manner its TRUST AND RESPECT. For those who do their haunts out of their own home towns this also helps them and allows them time to focus on the haunt without running around town trying to wire or get credit card approvals everyday for large purchase amounts.

This is a reason I don't use credit cards on large amounts. My card has a 1500.00 cap per day. This if for my protection and is something my bank offers yes it has its drawbacks with big purchases but if my card gets lost or stolen no one can drain it of tens of thousands of dollars this happened to me with am exemployee they used my credit card and spent $9000.00 in one night and I would have not know then if the bank had not called and alerted me of many transactions. Again lets all work on making changes for the better here. Shane and it's time for the change! Shane this time.
        sigpic

Comment

I will stand with you on this one Shane. I too am tired of being stressed out to the point of getting very ill. I will NOT buy from the vendors seen here with multiple complaints and I intend to make use of the new ratings site. Someone should print out the reviews and scatter them on the lunch tables at Transworld. You guys know we all sit there and read that stuff.
          Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by Grimley View Post
            I will stand with you on this one Shane. I too am tired of being stressed out to the point of getting very ill. I will NOT buy from the vendors seen here with multiple complaints and I intend to make use of the new ratings site. Someone should print out the reviews and scatter them on the lunch tables at Transworld. You guys know we all sit there and read that stuff.
            This is the only way were going to make this work, everyone will need to stick together. Believe it or not it will only help the good vendors this will make it where more will be spent with them because they have earned our trust just as we earned theirs. Shane and it's taking a stand! Shane this time.
            sigpic

Comment

Shane,

You know I'm with you 110% on this... if you need anything at all from me or my company, please, just ask! I would like to add the following companies to the list, all of which continue to provide great products, great service and are just overall great companies!

-CFX
              -Ghostride
              -Darklight
              -HauntedHouse.com
              -Nightscream Studios
              -Distortions
              -Robert Kurtzman/Creature Corps
              -Minispotlight.com
              -Sinister Scents
              -Fright Props
              -Scare Products/Oak Island

... I know I'm missing some but these are off the top of my head.

Again, Shane, I'm with you on this... let's make a change! -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Tyler

Change is coming I promise you that. I will be getting a room at Transworld and it will be open to all that want's to attend. We have said it 100 times I have said it 100 times something has to be done and 2011 is the year we will be making a change. Shane and it's it's going to take us all! Shane this time,
                sigpic

Comment

Shane

I know you will spearhead this effort and make it work for all of us. You always put your talents and energies in the right places. I know you will be successful at this rough task as well. Good luck this season my friend to you, your entire staff and all involved with your terrific haunt. Long Live Disturbia, the ass- kicker haunt of Alabama !!!!!

Comment

As a vendor i do agree with Shane people do need to work as one unit!!, however as a vendor you can get burned, like credit cards being declined or promises never filled but product delivered!!!! these are things that could close the doors on many prop company's as it could screamline. I cannot speak for all people but we should install something that gives faith not only to the buyer but the vendor.....

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

Comment

Perhaps the industry should look at a middleman to hold money in escro accounts. The question is if the price would be worth removing risk.
                      sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Robert

Good thought who knows. I still say the rules need to be changed to meeting in the middle. I am game for 50% down and the balance when product is in hand this is the only way to make it fair on both sides. Again some companies are doing that now and I can tell you this their products is just like you see at the show and their shipping time is great. GUYS WE WILL CHANGE THE INDUSTRY. It's time. Shane and it's changes are in the air! Shane this time.
                        sigpic

Comment

This is something else I was considering starting... being a BONDED agent that acts as a MIDDLE MAN for haunt companys and haunts. SOMETHING needs to be done.

HOWEVER, in the mean time, though according to Larry's Rules on this forum, I will not advertise other features of our website, but I WILL advertise the following:

http://hauntcompanyreviews.com/review/

I have added the companies that are listed thus far on the vendor list

http://www.hauntvendorlist.com

But if you want to see someone else on there to review, PLEASE feel free to PM me with suggestions and comments.

Comment

vendor and buyer business

Shane and all other buyers.

Gore Galore company policy.

50% down upfront minimum.
                            And balance just prior to delivery.
                            This is enough to get a job started and help to pay for materials if a buyer decides to not accept the order, even after a contract has been signed to purchase product.
                            Yes, signing an invoice is a contract to complete a purchase.
                            We also have lots of customers who pay full upfront just to make it easier on them in regards to billing.
                            Now, we do terms for some customers who have shown themselves to be trustworthy and always complete payment shortly after receipt of products.
                            But I am sorry this is reserved for Purchase orders and those companies we have done years of business with.

The billing method we use has been proven to protect both parties.
                            If all companies did net terms some companies would not have enough cash flow at the moment it is most needed. It is our experience that when many buyers get that bill they sit on it, because their is no rush to pay it since they already have product in hand. I am not saying there are not dependable buyers our there. MOST ARE. But it only takes one of two large orders to destroy most companies delicate balance of cash flow.
                            Then vendors don't have the money in the bank to carry inventory of materials so then that slows production down causing a raised potential of faulting on an order.

See the business cycle that has been started.

The single best method is 50% upfront to guarantee the order from both the vendor and buyer, 50% just prior to delivery to help push to get payment so the order can be pushed out the door.

Now when vendors don't do what they say. For example, "we need final payment, it will ship as soon as we receive it" and then they don't do it. .....
                            Well that is just bad business.
                            Kevin R. Alvey
                            info at gore-galore.com
                            www.gore-galore.com
                            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gore Galore View Post

Now when vendors don't do what they say. For example, "we need final payment, it will ship as soon as we receive it" and then they don't do it. .....
                              Well that is just bad business.
                              That's the whole problem right there. If a company told you that they wouldn't be able to deliver until Oct. 15 you could take it or leave it (and would probably pass). If they said they would deliver on Aug. 31 you could take it or leave it. But when a company gives you or promises you a delivery date they need to stand by that.

One of the things I learned early on in business is that you should underpromise and overdeliver. That means you promise delivery of a good product on September 15 and then deliver a great product on Sept. 5. Again, the problem is that too many buyers are being promised delivery of a good product on Sept. 15 and still wondering on Sept. 25 if they're going to get it at all. And if the product isn't as good as expected, there is no time to return it for repairs.

Ebay has some escrow services listed on the site. That may be the way to go. I like Shane's plan, but as Kevin pointed out a few buyers making the final payment late could really hurt a vendor. There could be some haunts that have decided that this will be their final year and don't intend to make that final payment until after they take down in November and gradually liquidate all of their stuff.

Finally, you have to wonder how many small haunts are being affected in the same way. Most have probably never heard of this forum and are trying to figure out what to do all by themselves. Everyone knows that you take care of your biggest customers first and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So while a vendor is working hard getting everything built for a few big customers, are there a dozen small ones that have been pushed back to delivery in October?

Comment

Working...
                              X