Woodchipper Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodchipper Scene

Hey everyone, We want to put a woodchipper scene in the HAUNT this year ala Fargo. As the folks come into the room the actor grabs a foot or arm or something and places it into the woodchipper and blood and goo fly out against the wall opposite. Any thoughts on how to make this a repeatable, fairly inexpensive effect? I'm not worried about cleaning up in between, but I know I need to think about where all that gunk is going to go...perhaps a raised floor with an area for drainage underneath? or a catch basin... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as always!

Happy Haunting!

Randy

I would do a raised floor, have the gunk hit the wall and slide down under the floor into a pool or something, and then use a pump in the chipper to pull from that pool and shot the water and chunks at the wall.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

like a regular pool/pond pump? I never even thought of that would the gunk plug it up? Maybe have to really thin it out to make it work right...

Comment

Not a pond pump. I am thinking something along the lines of a 1 - 2" NPT utility pump. Something big that would flow alot of volume real fast, and is large enough to pass wood chipper size chunks of latex and foam without clogging.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Ok I found a pump for about $80 so that looks cool, a submersible utility pump, says it'll expel 1/2" material. So the other question is...how do I mix up some blood that'll look realistic enough with some goopy junk in it, but be easy enough to flow down the wall and back into the collection container. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Have you seen this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096462/

It was made with a rented woodchipper. Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the people at the rental agency when they got it back covered in blood?

Comment

How about just skipping the chunks and concentrate on liquid? Is anyone really going to notice if solids don't appear? I'd think if they were able to notice that then they probably weren't scared by the effect anyway.

Also I'd set it up to shoot the goop AT the guests, but put a peice of clear lexan between. If your goop was made of something simple like food coloring and water it wouldn't stick that well to the lexan and would be hella easier to clean off each night.
              How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

metal grid

You can always build a treadmil metal grid above the pool that will catch the chunks and dump them into a conveyor that drops them off into a bucket all-the-while letting the blood drop through to the pool underneath.
                RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
                http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Comment

I worked for a haunt a while back and we did a room that was wood chipper esque. We used one of the insulation batting blowers from home depot (bought it) dressed it like a wood chipper and dyed the batting red before we put it in the hopper, a shop vac recyled the material and the body parts that went in fell right into he basket the actor pulled them out of.
                  I hoped that helped.
                  Allen H
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen had a great idea, remember the people are in the room for only a few seconds. Don't mess with water or any type of liquid, you are only asking for problems. We had very elaborate scenes that looked great with a flood light and cost a lot then we turned off all the lights and no one saw all the detail. Only light what you want to be seen. And remember KISS..... Keep It Simple Stupid..... After the first few years that was are motto . Paint what you need on the wall and use the blower for the chunks.
                    I hope this helps,
                    John

Comment

Don't forget you can also add sound effects that flesh out the customer's imagination.
                      You might be able to forgo the liquid blood if you light the wood chipper and what the actor is doing. plus have the audio of blood, flesh, and bone going through a chipper. and then the splat area paint it wet.
                      You could also have your lighting controlled so it lights right at the time of the splat so they see .5 sec after the hit.
                      Kevin R. Alvey
                      info at gore-galore.com
                      www.gore-galore.com
                      www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                      www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                      www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

You can totally get away without the liquid with some creative lighting sound and gags such as platforms with meat/parts and such attached to it that would push out the other side. You can also have some of it hand operated by the actor throwing parts or entrails and such into the air as they are lowered in if you you turn it vertical like GEP's old Ghoul Grinder animation. (http://www.gepproductions.com/props/ghoul_grinder.html). Plus, if you really wanted the liquid effects it would probably work more efficiently and not be that hard to do and reset with a setup like this.

You could really get away without using any motors at at all...if an actor is involved...make them part of the operation of the unit!

Just some thoughts.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

How about a hidden leaf blower or 2 in your chipper design.

They already have a mulcher on them and its cheap.

My 2 cents with 2 seconds of thought.

john

Comment

I'd use a blood cannon that shot from the chipper at a wall not toward the people with a gutter type thing at an angle at the bottom of the wall to collect the blood as it ran down the wall. A sump pump and some tubing to refill the cannon. Might need to thin down the blood a bit and make sure to keep the bucket full.

I would even add another one that sprayed the actor as he fed the arm/leg into the chipper. Eye protection and maybe a plastic apron for the actor... (it doesn't need to hit him/her directly after all)
                            John Jordan
                            www.TheAsylumwv.com
                            www.Trans-AlleghenyLunaticAsylum.com

Comment

A Vat Full

Of the liquid "Blood" with latex "meat" floating in the vat. The vat has a reduced diameter pipe fastened down to the bottom of it so when the sump pump turns on it is spraying liquid up and the ocassional "Bits" of latex get to take the ride, propelled via the gush and rush of the powerfull pump just spraying , lifting up everything else in it's path.
                              A trough with a screen in the bottom could accumulate the latex bits as the blood runs on down into a collection resouviour for recycling. A human hand scoops up the used latex and throws it back in the vat.
                              A foot-peddle switch operated by the actor is a must.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X